• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for suggestions on new headphones

Eyesluna

Good afternoon everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my current headphones. I'm currently using a modius and magnius stack and go balanced on a pair of aeon closed x (eq'd following oratory and without any filters), a pair of LCD 2C also balanced and eq'd following oratory1990's suggestion. I'm very new to eq so i'm planning on experimenting using the LCD's to familiarize myself with it. I've also used Sundara's and 6xx as well. I have come realize that I enjoyed the sundara over the 6xx much more and I mildly preferred the LCD after eq over the sundara. In a pair of headphones I think I value good separation, imaging, wide sound stage, and bass. I think planars moving forward would serve me better but i'm totally open to any and all suggestions!

That being said I do have a very large head and long ears, I actually had to return the Sundaras because they did not fit, for reference, the LCD 2C ear cups barely fit me, same with the 6xx, though it feels like the aeons are the most comfy fit wise. Weight hasn't really been an issue for me though seeing as I can wear the LCD's all day with no fatigue. I'd like to get some suggestions for open and closed backs.

Thank you for your time.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Good afternoon everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my current headphones. I'm currently using a modius and magnius stack and go balanced on a pair of aeon closed x (eq'd following oratory and without any filters), a pair of LCD 2C also balanced and eq'd following oratory1990's suggestion. I'm very new to eq so i'm planning on experimenting using the LCD's to familiarize myself with it. I've also used Sundara's and 6xx as well. I have come realize that I enjoyed the sundara over the 6xx much more and I mildly preferred the LCD after eq over the sundara. In a pair of headphones I think I value good separation, imaging, wide sound stage, and bass. I think planars moving forward would serve me better but i'm totally open to any and all suggestions!

That being said I do have a very large head and long ears, I actually had to return the Sundaras because they did not fit, for reference, the LCD 2C ear cups barely fit me, same with the 6xx, though it feels like the aeons are the most comfy fit wise. Weight hasn't really been an issue for me though seeing as I can wear the LCD's all day with no fatigue. I'd like to get some suggestions for open and closed backs.

Thank you for your time.
Take a look at the AKG K812 / K872.
They have large ear pads that offer even more space inside.
I also have a big head and they fit me very comfortably and there is still room for adjustment.

Hamrin

From my experience the widest headstage is given by open design and planar drivers.
All the rest of things you're searching (bass, separation etc...) depends on budget...

HE "long" designs could fit your needs, to be clear the HEK legacy: Ananda, Arya, HEKmk2...

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The best soundstage has arguably the Sennheiser HD800 (S). It also has a lot of space for large ears, a low clamp force and is very comfortable. With EQ (modifying the low bass and the treble spike), it is a delight.

Top Bottom