• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for suggestions for a living room setup

I have a pair of Kali LP-6's that I initially got to use at my office, but the room is so echoey that I took the speaker to the living room while I don't have any sound treatment. Now that I used real speakers instead of the TV speakers I can't go back and I'm looking for a proper setup for my living room while I'm doing the sound treatment of the office to put the Kali's back.

My living room has 35m2. The main purpose of the speakers is to be used with the TV for series, movies, Netflix, Spotify, this kind of stuff. I listen to almost all kinds of music styles but what really moves me is energetic music. A warm, more V-shaped, less analytical sound profile is more pleasant for me. I live in an apartment and I don't usually listen to the speakers at very loud volumes.
The Kali's are connected to the TV using the headphone jack and I'm able to control the volume directly from the TV. But the sound is nowhere near the potential of the speakers. I did a quick test putting the output as line which removes the capability of controlling the volume and the speakers play really loud but also the quality improves a lot, especially the bass.

I have a strong preference for using active speakers as it's fewer moving parts, but I'm open to passive ones as well, and once the system is done I'll not be changing and playing with different parts. If it's good enough for me, it's good enough. My budget is 1k euro. The balanced connection at the DAC is not required but good to have. The DAC must have volume control by remote control. What I thought at the moment is this:
  • SMSL M300 MKII + Adam T8V
  • SMSL M300 MKII + Kali IN-8 2nd wave (I don't know if it's worth twice the price of the T8V. I'm waiting for reviews)
  • SMSL M300 MKII + Kali LP6 or Adam T5V + some studio subwoofer like the Adam T10S
  • Mini DSP + Kali LP6 or Adam T5V + a better subwoofer
  • Mini DSP + passive speakers + maybe a subwoofer
I'm very inclined on getting the T8V as it has a nice bass but I have my concerns about the mid-range and the tweeter.

Any suggestions?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I would personally buy a DAC + studio monitors.
Then, down the line, think about MiniDSP and sub.

Can you wait a bit? It seems Erin is *about* to publish the Kai In-8v2 spinorama.

OP
D
I would personally buy a DAC + studio monitors.
Then, down the line, think about MiniDSP and sub.

Can you wait a bit? It seems Erin is *about* to publish the Kai In-8v2 spinorama.

Yeah I can. I actually can't buy the IN-8 2nd wave right now in Europe. Most of the stores are informing that they'll get some stock in 2 or 3 weeks. Waiting for the measurements.

Top Bottom