• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for suggestions for a budget setup under 300$ to play CDs in my dorm

Robin L

Master Contributor
What should I do for amp?
Don't need an amp---the speakers are self-powered. That's part of the beauty of this system, the simplicity. If you go the passive speaker/integrated route you have used/thrift store options, but if you're in a little place you would be best off with a system that uses powered speakers anyway. I've got a CD playing* system made mostly out of used/thrift store gear. I'm using a Yamaha AVR, a pair of a/d/s 400e speakers [1980s/90s], Topping E30/L30 and a Sonance mini-sub. The CD player is a Sony Blu-Ray player I got for something like $6, the remote I got from Amazon was about $10. Total cost: around $450. It's got more bass and probably plays louder than those little self-powered speakers, but when you eventually find yourself living in someplace bigger [and get bigger speakers/amps] you will still have a really good source for CD playback, not to mention USB links for computer audio.

*But I mostly use it for computer audio.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still a CD enthusiast, even though I rip them to FLAC and play these files more than the discs it is nice to still have the option. And a device that just plays music with no other functionality and without needing an internet connection is nice at times.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Don't need an amp---the speakers are self-powered. That's part of the beauty of this system, the simplicity. If you go the passive speaker/integrated route you have used/thrift store options, but if you're in a little place you would be best off with a system that uses powered speakers anyway. I've got a CD playing* system made mostly out of used/thrift store gear. I'm using a Yamaha AVR, a pair of a/d/s 400e speakers [1980s/90s], Topping E30/L30 and a Sonance mini-sub. The CD player is a Sony Blu-Ray player I got for something like $6, the remote I got from Amazon was about $10. Total cost: around $450. It's got more bass and probably plays louder than those little self-powered speakers, but when you eventually find yourself living in someplace bigger [and get bigger speakers/amps] you will still have a really good source for CD playback, not to mention USB links for computer audio.

*But I mostly use it for computer audio.

We should perhaps mention that if kvlou choose passive speakers and amplifier Aiyima a07 then he needs to buy an external power supply in order to make it work. This considering it should be easy, plug and play and so on.

Kvlou, tips, with passive speakers. Select a amplifier that only need to be plugged into the wall socket with a power cable. CD player, speakers and amplifier are connected with speaker cables and rca cables. Connect, play music and be happy.:)

Do not invest big money in the cables. It does not matter to the sound.

Edit:
Then practical aspects, think about whether remote control for amplifier and or CD player is something that is convenient to have.

There are CD changers where you can put X number of CDs in. if it is preferable.:)

Do you have a small room. Do not miss to think again if the speakers fit, purely physically, as you intended. If the speakers fits in with the other furniture in the room. Classic mistake not to think about it. I myself have missed it several times.

Speaker cables can be routed in cable canals. An easy and cheap way to "hide" the cables. See attached pictures.

Attachments

• 312VQN7oATL._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    312VQN7oATL._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 65
  • kabelkanal-1260x600-2.png
    kabelkanal-1260x600-2.png
    947 KB · Views: 57
  • hiding-speaker-wire-in-corner-w-cableorganizer-duct.jpg
    hiding-speaker-wire-in-corner-w-cableorganizer-duct.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
So should I invest my entire budget into speakers and not purchase a DAC or an amp at all?
With this amount of money to spend, definitely.
Speakers always have the most impact on sound quality, but the difference between a bargain-basement bottom-of-the-barrel model and something like a Kali LP-6 is huge and will be easy to hear. The DAC built into whatever disc player you get is not going to wow anyone with its measurements, but the actual audible impact of this will be very low. And if you get a player with a coax or Toslink output you can always add on a DAC later as funds allow.

As others have said, active speakers have an amp built-in so you there's no point buying one. The one downside is that neither of the models I suggested will give you ear-splitting party volume in a large room as they are limited to 100dB or so. But if you want decent sound at high levels you'll need to spend considerably more (as in many thousands of dollars). Of course you can find cheap systems that will pump out a lot of sound pressure, but they end up producing more distortion than signal. For a small dorm room where you're going to be sitting close to the speakers and don't want your neighbours bashing down the door because they're trying to study these will perform perfectly.

DanielT

Major Contributor
With this amount of money to spend, definitely.
Speakers always have the most impact on sound quality, but the difference between a bargain-basement bottom-of-the-barrel model and something like a Kali LP-6 is huge and will be easy to hear. The DAC built into whatever disc player you get is not going to wow anyone with its measurements, but the actual audible impact of this will be very low. And if you get a player with a coax or Toslink output you can always add on a DAC later as funds allow.

As others have said, active speakers have an amp built-in so you there's no point buying one. The one downside is that neither of the models I suggested will give you ear-splitting party volume in a large room as they are limited to 100dB or so. But if you want decent sound at high levels you'll need to spend considerably more (as in many thousands of dollars). Of course you can find cheap systems that will pump out a lot of sound pressure, but they end up producing more distortion than signal. For a small dorm room where you're going to be sitting close to the speakers and don't want your neighbours bashing down the door because they're trying to study these will perform perfectly.

In addition to the agility, there is another great advantage with active speakers. Amplifiers and speakers are developed by the manufacturer. Made, selected, constructed to work well together. Then you do not have to worry about which type of amplifier is suitable for passive speakers X.:)

Which, by the way, is also an advantage for those a little more experienced in Hifi.

Active speakers here and now and that will also be the melody of the future, I think.:)

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Make sure that whatever you choose, you figure out a way to control the volume. :)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edifier make some low cost active speakers which are very good given the price.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
What should I do for amp?

It would be more interesting to descripe the situation?
Here are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge, that enjoy to help. But it would be much better if we would know, your situation.
Do you have a smartphone?
Do you have a friend that can rip cd's for you?
Importend questions, without a answer, no way to say anything meaningfull.

Walter

You have gotten a lot of different replies, but most say the same thing: buy an inexpensive, preferably used, disc player with a remote and either buy a secondhand amp and speakers, or get a pair of good active speakers, which have the amp built in. The DAC in the CD player won't be great, but it will be good enough. If you are in the USA and you want a system ASAP, the Kali LP-6 on sale is the best option if buying new. Or you can gamble that either the JBL 305p or Stage A130 goes on sale on Black Friday. With the latter, you will need an amp like the A07. (Note: If you could buy some of the better Edifier speakers there at the prices they sell for in Asia, they would be worth considering, but not at their US prices.)

DanielT

Major Contributor
You have gotten a lot of different replies, but most say the same thing: buy an inexpensive, preferably used, disc player with a remote and either buy a secondhand amp and speakers, or get a pair of good active speakers, which have the amp built in. The DAC in the CD player won't be great, but it will be good enough. If you are in the USA and you want a system ASAP, the Kali LP-6 on sale is the best option if buying new. Or you can gamble that either the JBL 305p or Stage A130 goes on sale on Black Friday. With the latter, you will need an amp like the A07. (Note: If you could buy some of the better Edifier speakers there at the prices they sell for in Asia, they would be worth considering, but not at their US prices.)
It makes sense what you say, but regarding sound old player. it depends. Yes older used players may have an audible mechanical noise coming from the player. A noise that is not heard in the speakers. In the same way that older amplifiers can have an audible humming transformer (personally I find that annoying). That's my experience with old DVD players. Apart from that audible noice the rest regarding difference in sound between old CD/DVD players and new ones, well. I do not know. Skeptical.

For example, the player I took as an example in this thread:

Pioneer DV610 SACD DVD-Audio, I saw for $ 40.
S / N 115 dB
Dynamic range: 100 dB
THD: 0.0023%

Audible difference between it and a new player?

Attachments

• 2021_11_10_18.45.28.jpg
    2021_11_10_18.45.28.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Joe Smith

One other aspect of active speakers: if they break, potentially a more expensive replacement because amp+speaker all in one. With passive speakers and a separate amp, may be less expensive to replace/repair. The plus of new actives if you can afford a good set, easier and simpler wiring with CD deck and/or DAC.

Joe Smith

Sometimes, a multiformat player will have a noisy or vibrating CD tray, which is irritating. But in my experience, that's fairly rare, and I have a lot of vintage CD, DVD and multiformat players. One of the simplest and cheapest I have is an older Toshiba 24/192-capable unit that you see in thrift stores a lot, has coax out as well as RCA and a decent front panel controls so you don't have to use the remote all the time.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sometimes, a multiformat player will have a noisy or vibrating CD tray, which is irritating. But in my experience, that's fairly rare, and I have a lot of vintage CD, DVD and multiformat players. One of the simplest and cheapest I have is an older Toshiba 24/192-capable unit that you see in thrift stores a lot, has coax out as well as RCA and a decent front panel controls so you don't have to use the remote all the time........

Good that you say that! Best to clarify. I have had three different DVD players. It can only be a coincidence that I heard the buzz/fizz sound with two of them.

replace / repair ... that aspect is not so stupid to weigh into the equation when it comes to buying used.:)

Last edited:
OP
K

kvluo

Active speakers are speakers plus amplifiers in one package. No additional external amplifier needed.

Will Aiyima A07 not work with Kali LP-6?No and Aiyima A07 is not needed for them.Aiyima A07 amplifier is used for passive speakers.

Tip, get a smooth simple solution, so you do not have to worry about various connections. There are many good ones for a sensible, relatively low, money.:)
Thank you so much for the clarification! I was very confused lol

OP
K

kvluo

We should perhaps mention that if kvlou choose passive speakers and amplifier Aiyima a07 then he needs to buy an external power supply in order to make it work. This considering it should be easy, plug and play and so on.

Kvlou, tips, with passive speakers. Select a amplifier that only need to be plugged into the wall socket with a power cable. CD player, speakers and amplifier are connected with speaker cables and rca cables. Connect, play music and be happy.:)
Thank you so much for the advice!!

OP
K

kvluo

You have gotten a lot of different replies, but most say the same thing: buy an inexpensive, preferably used, disc player with a remote and either buy a secondhand amp and speakers, or get a pair of good active speakers, which have the amp built in.
Yup I realized that, I'll be checking out the goodwills near me on the weekend :)
(Note: If you could buy some of the better Edifier speakers there at the prices they sell for in Asia, they would be worth considering, but not at their US prices.)
I just checked and found out that I could get a pair of R2000DB for 100 bucks in China, where I'll be going back in a month, will that be a better deal if I can figure out how to ship/carry them over?

Walter

Yup I realized that, I'll be checking out the goodwills near me on the weekend :)

I just checked and found out that I could get a pair of R2000DB for 100 bucks in China, where I'll be going back in a month, will that be a better deal if I can figure out how to ship/carry them over?
Never heard them but from what I have read about that model, yes. They won't sound as good as the Kali or JBL but for $100, they are excellent value. You can probably get the S2000 MK III for under $200 there. That one has gotten really good reviews.

Edit: A pair weighs 20 kilos. That would almost take up the weight allowance for one bag. It may not be worth it to try to bring them back.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thank you so much for the clarification! I was very confused lol

Is this the first time you are going to connect, get a Hifi system up and running?
It is an advantage for us in the thread when we give tips and suggestions to you if we know a little more about what your experience and knowledge is/are.:)

BadAudioAdvice

I would definitely go the used / second-hand route - and recently did just that for my own CD playing system.

Pioneer DVD-V7400 (with remote, but works fine without one) $60

Technics SB-X10 Speakers $80

Technics SU-C04 Receiver $150

The speakers and amplifier have surprisingly decent sound, and beautiful (at least to me..) appearance.

The Pioneer is an industrial unit (and looks that way), that has Stereo RCA out, as well as Coax for future use with a DAC.

Top Bottom