• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for suggestions for a budget setup under 300$ to play CDs in my dorm

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CDs still ROCK!
Dude, I get so happy to see that there are still broke college students who prioritize audio, and CDs no less.

Otherwise I very much second this post:
If you're going to use active speakers then the magni 3 will be doing nothing other than providing a volume knob. Buying an external DAC is a waste if it means you're skimping on the speakers. So the first thing I'd do is lose the Schiit stack.
Other very cheap active speakers to consider are the Mackie CR3-X and Presonus Eris.

But we're right at the bottom of the market so all the options here have problems. If you can stretch to a tiny bit more then you'll see a marked improvement. There's the Kali LP-6 ($300/pair) or the JBL 305P MkII (also $300). Then you're looking for a cheap disc player preferably with some sort of volume control built-in: this Sony one looks reasonable, with a coax output as well so you can upgrade to an external DAC in the future. I see the volume control has 'Vol' buttons, but no idea if it actually controls the volume output from the analog jacks. If it doesn't then you'd need a passive attenuator like this one or a Schiit Sys.

[Note: both the active speakers I linked have only balanced inputs, but a pair of RCA->XLR cables should cost around $15. (Actually just noticed the Kali's have RCA in as well.)]

Speakers are important. Nothing else really matters (EDIT: in the audio chain!). Spend all your available funds on decent active speakers in the budget range, and then find a used bluray player with volume control. Given that streaming is taking over they can often be had for free. Good luck!

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
.Nothing else really matters...You are wrong oivavoi. :)

.. my dorm ... Kvluo are you single? Does it impress girls if you have a turntable? I do not know what young female students like nowadays. :)

If you see it all from that perspective, that is, otherwise you are right oivavoi. :)

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.Nothing else really matters...Then you are wrong

.. my dorm ... are you single? Does it impress girls if you have a turntable? I do not know what young female students like nowadays. :)

Was that a comment to me? ;)
Indeed, I think my wife would get upset if told her that nothing else matters beside my speakers! Clarified that I meant in the audio chain...

DanielT

Major Contributor
Was that a comment to me? ;)
Indeed, I think my wife would get upset if told her that nothing else matters beside my speakers! Clarified that I meant in the audio chain...
Ha ha. :)

It was written with a playful tone,:p... though if you are young, single. In any case, ASR is probably not the right forum to give tips on how to fix girls.:)

Enough with OT back to the topic.

Edit:
Advantage used, you can test. If you are not satisfied, just sell.
For example
Used, I saw a pair of refoamed Speakers Heybrook HB1 a while ago. $ 120. On with new paint on them then they would be ok.

I have a pair of JPW P1 speakers, which I sometimes use, the same VIFA base elements in P1 as HB1,
VIFA M21WG-09-08. Not the question of whether they must be refoamed but when if it has not already been done of course.:)
Check out the DIY forum for tips and advice if you are going to carry out a refoam .... Used Hifi: Pros and cons.
There were two examples. There are plenty of used speakers, brands and models. Just test yourself to what suits you and what you like. Have fun during the Hifi journey. :)

Pioneer DV610 SACD DVD-Audio, I saw for $ 40.
S / N 115 dB
Dynamic range: 100 dB
THD: 0.0023%

Plus amplifier. For example, one that many seem to like:
AIYIMA A07 TPA3255

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Yeah, if you decide to use a little amp and unpowered speakers, the Aiyima a07 would be a great choice. It would work with a lot of small bookshelf speakers happily. It's my favorite new find of the year.
I think a Schitt stack ,or a used Fulla 3, would be good if you will be doing a lot of headphone listening.
I like CD players where you don't have to use a remote to control the functions...the exception would be if you may be playing a lot of multiformat disks, where that might steer you towards a cheaper Blu-Ray or DVD player. My Sony UHP-H1 plays everything, but it's definitely a slow-loader. I particularly like the older Onkyo and JVC CD decks, you may be able to find one of those cheap.
I had a lovely stereo back in LA in '76 but went to Vermont to college. So like a fool I sold everything and went East with just a Sony stereo cassette deck with a built in speaker. You will do better with what you're assembling now, have fun!

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Kali LP-6 v1 are on sale now, plus Guitar Center has them even cheaper in-store. The JBLs go on sale 2-3 per year. Either would be excellent choices. Or wait for the JBL Stage A130 to go back on sale for $180 and pair them with an Aiyima A07.

DanielT

Major Contributor
The Kali LP-6 v1 are on sale now, plus Guitar Center has them even cheaper in-store. The JBLs go on sale 2-3 per year. Either would be excellent choices. Or wait for the JBL Stage A130 to go back on sale for $180 and pair them with an Aiyima A07.
Kali LP-6 v1, I also cast my vote for them. Have heard heard a couple like six months ago. Yummy, I think anyway.

I suspect that they will be sold out a little cheaper now that version 2 has arrived.
Can you, kvlou, take the opportunity to get good sound at a good price.

Last edited:
OP
K

kvluo

Why not move to streaming instead of CDs?
It's mostly the physical attachment for me, and the fact that I shipped my entire collection over to my dorm... Definitely need a system of some sort to compensate for that

OP
K

kvluo

If you're going to use active speakers then the magni 3 will be doing nothing other than providing a volume knob. Buying an external DAC is a waste if it means you're skimping on the speakers. So the first thing I'd do is lose the Schiit stack.
Other very cheap active speakers to consider are the Mackie CR3-X and Presonus Eris.

But we're right at the bottom of the market so all the options here have problems. If you can stretch to a tiny bit more then you'll see a marked improvement. There's the Kali LP-6 ($300/pair) or the JBL 305P MkII (also $300). Then you're looking for a cheap disc player preferably with some sort of volume control built-in: this Sony one looks reasonable, with a coax output as well so you can upgrade to an external DAC in the future. I see the volume control has 'Vol' buttons, but no idea if it actually controls the volume output from the analog jacks. If it doesn't then you'd need a passive attenuator like this one or a Schiit Sys.

[Note: both the active speakers I linked have only balanced inputs, but a pair of RCA->XLR cables should cost around $15. (Actually just noticed the Kali's have RCA in as well.)]
So should I invest my entire budget into speakers and not purchase a DAC or an amp at all?

OP
K

kvluo

Check a local thrift store for a used Blu-Ray player with a coax out. I got a SACD capable Sony model for $6, the remote was about $10. I've got it hooked up to a Topping E30 DAC. Spending more money than the $150 or so for this source will not result in better sound. After that, you're on your own. I'd look into low cost powered speakers, you can shift volume with the E30. You can also hook up your computer to the E30 via USB, a big potential advantage.

Edit: use these $99 a pair powered speakers, about $250/$300 for the whole rig:

What should I do for amp?

OP
K

kvluo

Here's what I did for a fun & affordable little cd setup I built in a nook of my office, just so I could spin my old cd collection again.

- Second hand Sony BDP-S370 SACD/Bluray/DVD player, comes with optical out, hdmi and a good remote ($50)
- Second hand stereo amp. I went with a NAD 3020 ($60)
- any pair of decent, second hand bookshelf speakers. I picked up a pair of Q Acoustics 3010's for $70

Total investment $180. Sounds better than it has any right to for that amount. At first I had a Topping E30 attached to the Sony (optical), using the Topping as a DAC and the Sony as just a transport. The E30 has a remote too, so I could still control volume. I took the E30 out of the chain, though, because the Sony sounds absolutely fantastic. Couldn't hear a difference between it and the Topping. :)
Thank you so much! I'll look into that

OP
K

kvluo

If you are listening to CD's in your dorm room, just get a USB DVD-R and hook it into your laptop / PC.
A basic external DAC is all you need and them perhaps a pair of powered speakers.
Do I not need an amplifier?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about an Allo Boss 2 player with KRK Rockit 5s?

OP
K

kvluo

Yeah, if you decide to use a little amp and unpowered speakers, the Aiyima a07 would be a great choice.
If low cost amp are not capable of powering active speakers, should I just look for unpowered speakers? If so, do you have any rec?

OP
K

kvluo

I'll look into that! Will Aiyima A07 not work with Kali LP-6?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about an Allo Boss 2 player with KRK Rockit 5s?
Oops, just checked us prices, the KRKs are around $400 which may be too much.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
If low cost amp are not capable of powering active speakers, should I just look for unpowered speakers? If so, do you have any rec?
Active speakers are speakers plus amplifiers in one package. No additional external amplifier needed.

Will Aiyima A07 not work with Kali LP-6?No and Aiyima A07 is not needed for them.Aiyima A07 amplifier is used for passive speakers.

Tip, get a smooth simple solution, so you do not have to worry about various connections. There are many good ones for a sensible, relatively low, money.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom