• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for suggestions after lots of reading

GetReal

First off - just wanted to say this website is an invaluable resource. Thank you everyone for all of the insight. I've learned a ton.

This is what I'm thinking as my first budget HiFi set-up (room size ~14'x20'). I'm looking to mostly connect my laptop via usb, but bluetooth at times does sound nice and easy at times. I don't really have a budget in mind, but I want to get the biggest bang for my buck, of course. I'd like to hook up a TV as well, but that is secondary to music.

SMSL DO100 DAC
Topping PA-5
Most likely Polk R100 vs. L100 vs. Arendal 1961 bookshelf speakers depending on what deals are on the horizon

Will look for a subwoofer down the road... haven't made that deep dive.

Any thoughts on this setup?
Can I get away with a topping D10 / PA3s or smsl AO200 set-up, or will this be a severe detriment? Seems like the extra couple hundred bucks is worth it?
What about the YAMAHA A-S801BL or Emotiva BasX TA1? Probably paying more for less?

Apologies if this thread should be posted in a different section

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welcome. You probably need to narrow down any concerns or considerations you have before anyone can give you decent advise. Also, some budget has to be defined. I think most if not all the gear you mention has been thoughtfully reviewed and discussed on this site, and without looking up every review, checks out pretty good. I guess if I were building my first system I’d really look into active speakers, then you wouldn’t need the amp. But that’s just me and many would differ. I will say that your speaker choice is the gear that will most affect the sound. everything else should Build on that.

OP
G

GetReal

Welcome. You probably need to narrow down any concerns or considerations you have before anyone can give you decent advise. Also, some budget has to be defined. I think most if not all the gear you mention has been thoughtfully reviewed and discussed on this site, and without looking up every review, checks out pretty good. I guess if I were building my first system I’d really look into active speakers, then you wouldn’t need the amp. But that’s just me and many would differ. I will say that your speaker choice is the gear that will most affect the sound. everything else should Build on that.

Thanks for the advice - I like the idea of upgrading down the road, so for the most part, I've eliminated active speakers. Totally reasonable suggestion though.

Fair enough regarding the budget; ~1500 USD range is what I'm looking at, but there is some flexibility there.

I have read the reviews and that is what has lead to my list of gear, I suppose I'm more looking for confirmation that this setup makes sense given the plethora of options.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rethink active speakers. Something link this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LP8v2--kali-audio-lp-8-8-inch-powered-studio-monitor-black and a combo DAC headphone amp (Topping EX5) and you'd have tons of budget for headphones and anything else wanted.
+1 on the Kali. I would suggest an AVR, e.g the DenonAVR3600 or 3700. I know, this brings the budget up, but it comes with Audyssey …. up to 9 channels plus a lot more. AVR such as the Denon 3700, with DRC (Audyssey), should the heart/brain of any music system, be it 2 or multichannel.

Peace.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m very invested in passive speaker systems if that makes sense. Many $ spent on amps. had I a clean slate I would at least consider actives. The downside is if something goes wrong you have to fix what you have or replace both a speaker and an amp. The upside is that many active speaker designs kick ass. The Arendal speakers you mention have been reviewed by Erin on this site and are objectively really nice passive options. I’ve not heard them but he seemed to like them and is pretty damn good reviewer. Plus they come with a 90 day guarantee of satisfaction. You disagree after you hear them send them back.

OP
G

GetReal

Thanks all- planning on using my laptop as a source via USB, also probably TV via coaxial

Top Bottom