• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for streamer, help!? [WENT for DIY!? with PI3 + PICOREPLAYER]

jimp

Forum Donor
OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
For the same price as a Raspberry you can grab an Atomic Pi on Amazon and use Daphile.

not seeing optical or coaxial out in Atomic Pi to plug to your dac as transparently as possible, please elaborate on it :)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
not seeing optical or coaxial out in Atomic Pi to plug to your dac as transparently as possible, please elaborate on it :)
I use USB with smsl or Sabaj DAC. Better jitter with USB than other interfaces.
Raspberry sucks in front of the Atomic Pi and there is no more optical or coaxial output in a Raspberry as far as I know.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I use USB with smsl or Sabaj DAC. Better jitter with USB than other interfaces.
Raspberry sucks in front of the Atomic Pi and there is no more optical or coaxial output in a Raspberry as far as I know.

As I said earlier I used justboom digi hat, it brings coaxial + optical out only to send the signal right to your DAC, so in that sense, pi has more options with hats. The reason is I already have my PC using the usb input of my DAC. Anyways, thanks for mentioning Daphile, didn't know it existed, another choice :)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
As I said earlier I used justboom digi hat, it brings coaxial + optical out only to send the signal right to your DAC, so in that sense, pi has more options with hats. The reason is I already have my PC using the usb input of my DAC. Anyways, thanks for mentioning Daphile, didn't know it existed, another choice :)

Sorry I was working yesterday and did not take time to explain more.

I am an old user of Logitech Media Server, more than 10 years, maybe 2008 since now.

What I like is the Open Source project. It's in my values. Also, the system is competent for my use cases: one (Open Source) NAS full of music, and plenty of players around the house, in bedroom, Lab A, Lab C, Living room...

I use the Raspberry Pi and other fruits Pi like Orange Pi and Banana Pi. With Linux and moste of the time Squeezeplay, everything is open source.

With the Raspberry Pi there are some limitations, especially in the domain of processor power, that dictates the ability to go for something like 32bits and 768kHz in the player side.

Few years ago I tried Daphile and found it is a very competent Linux distribution for audio. Of course some points are irritating but positive points are far ahead. In 2018 I had an "ergasm" discovering Atomic Pi because it was 35$ (the same amount as a Raspberry) for an Intel 4 cores processor. I bought few cards for tests an fun time and now I have one in the bedroom and one in the living room powered by Daphile.

Daphile is at home on this little card, processor power is ok for what I want and the power consumption is really really low. The compete system consumes less than 15W from the wall plug when I have music all the day long. It's really a low impact on the planet.

I've wrote something about LMS and Daphile here. Maybe you can have a look.

For me, using the Raspberry is ok for a time, but you will ending with Daphile. :)

firedog

I'm using both a Pi3 with Ropiee and a Pi 4 with dietpi.
Both are very good, diet pi gives lots of flexibility and comes with lots of optimized software for audio, video, streaming, or most other things you'd want. Ropiee is audio only, mainly setup for Roon endpoints.
I think they sound as good as more expensive devices.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
any of you are using bluetooh out from your mobile to send the sound to the PI/streamer solution ? I am not succeding in this yet.

TomB

Since you are using a separate DAC, and want to avoid Roon, a PC specialized for audio (music server) could be a good choice. I am using a Beatis server to stream Qobuz and Tidal to my DAC. It runs Windows, which allows me to use the Tidal and Qobuz apps, but I am thinking of adding JRiver. You could look into building a small ITX based music server. I recall that Amir shared the details of building a music server few years ago.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
I just finished my server project too. I used a Pi 4 which works well for Jriver. I used a hifiberry digi+ hat for s/pdif out to my geshelli stack.

I also wired up media control buttons and a 5 inch touchscreen.

I don't love Jriver, even with theater view, but I have been using it for years.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Here are some pics of my assembly. I leaned into the diy aesthetic of the Geshelli stack.
20200509_110526.jpg
20200509_110822.jpg

(Yes, all this because geshelli had to put the power on the wrong side)

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
For the same price as a Raspberry you can grab an Atomic Pi on Amazon and use Daphile.

I'm rediscovering Daphile since I got up to speed with REW. Popular streaming services + Brute FIR for room correction in one box, very nice and costs nothing if you have some old PC hardware around.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I'm rediscovering Daphile since I got up to speed with REW. Popular streaming services + Brute FIR for room correction in one box, very nice and costs nothing if you have some old PC hardware around.
That's the point. How did you build the Brute FIR if I can ask?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I am looking for a streamer with ethernet/wifi, good app interface to control it, which can do Tidal/Qobuz, in its highest resolutions and don't want to spend much If I don't have to since it is going to be plugged to a RME ADI-2 DAC through optical, so I don't need it to have a great DAC, just one device that won't get in the way.

Any suggestions? or.. I'd like to know your favorites for the task.

The reason I ask is because I see so many options that I just get lost, so I'd like to know first hand experience since it is clear I can't trust reviews out there.

Edit: Silly me hadn't done a proper search here earlier, so If you don't want to answer is fine, I'm also checking other threads now.

Hello Ezra,
I'm looking for the same.
What is your final choice at the end ?
As you were in the 100€ region, I found below for 119€, and all connections. We don't care about the DAC's chip as we will use a separate Dac ...
IEAST SOUNDSTREAM PRO M30 Media Player UPNP USB DLNA AirPlay RJ45 Wifi Multiroom ES9023

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Hello Ezra,
I'm looking for the same.
What is your final choice at the end ?
As you were in the 100€ region, I found below for 119€, and all connections. We don't care about the DAC's chip as we will use a separate Dac ...
IEAST SOUNDSTREAM PRO M30 Media Player UPNP USB DLNA AirPlay RJ45 Wifi Multiroom ES9023

I took a raspberry 3 I had lying around, bought a justboom digihat which just has optical + coaxial outputs with good measuring (as archimago shows in his blog) as I posted earlier.

Installed picoreplayer on it and it went smoothly, detects the hat without issue, responds supper quickly and never fails. It is even going through WIFI now and accessing my local library mounting it from another drive on the network through NFS, even playing DSD through DoP , all without a single hiccup.

I use it every day mostly to play Tidal and I am very happy with it.:cool:

Top Bottom