• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for some computer speaker recommendations; can someone help break it down for a noob?

lukeman3000

Hi everyone -

I've been reading some threads here and there trying to wrap my head around everything. I am by no means an audiophile and I do not know much about audio in general (which is why I'm seeking advice here!)

I would like to get a nice pair of desktop speakers for my PC. Previously I had the Mackie CR4 (which I imagine might not be highly regarded here), but they seemed to work well enough for me. Sadly, however, they recently have died.

So I'm in the market for a new pair of desktop speakers. I use them primarily for watching youtube videos, listening to music, and occasionally playing games (though most of the time I use my DT-990 Pro's and Element II for that). My first question is this - is it possible to get speakers desktop speakers that have a good bass response, or do you need a dedicated subwoofer for that?

I'm open to various price points but preferably not more than $400'ish. Oh, also, I really prefer non-glossy finish on my stuff (that's part of the reason why I went with the CR4's lol). But again I'm open to just about anything so don't withold a recommendation for that reason alone.

Thanks in advance to any help given!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hit the Review Index button above and your favorite beverage watch the clock spin.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

The most important factor here is how much money you're willing to spend on the setup - once you have established that you then know what you're working with.

Wino

I use Audioengine A2+ with a Monoprice sub and like it for a computer setup. Use it similarly as you mentioned.

Elfsberg

Hi everyone -

I've been reading some threads here and there trying to wrap my head around everything. I am by no means an audiophile and I do not know much about audio in general (which is why I'm seeking advice here!)

I would like to get a nice pair of desktop speakers for my PC. Previously I had the Mackie CR4 (which I imagine might not be highly regarded here), but they seemed to work well enough for me. Sadly, however, they recently have died.

So I'm in the market for a new pair of desktop speakers. I use them primarily for watching youtube videos, listening to music, and occasionally playing games (though most of the time I use my DT-990 Pro's and Element II for that). My first question is this - is it possible to get speakers desktop speakers that have a good bass response, or do you need a dedicated subwoofer for that?

I'm open to various price points but preferably not more than $400'ish. Oh, also, I really prefer non-glossy finish on my stuff (that's part of the reason why I went with the CR4's lol). But again I'm open to just about anything so don't withold a recommendation for that reason alone.

Thanks in advance to any help given!
1)

maybe someone can repair the Mackies for you? Most of the time electronics malfunctionings are easy to find and repair.

2)

I'd look no further than this set:

:)

Chaconne

I, too, am a big fan of the Adam Audio T5Vs. My only concern is that they may be a bit too big for a desktop. Just be sure to check out the specs to see if they would work on your desk. If you're anything like me, you will not need a subwoofer with them. But who knows if you're like me?!

OP
L

lukeman3000

I use Audioengine A2+ with a Monoprice sub and like it for a computer setup. Use it similarly as you mentioned.
Woah, I love the way these look! And the price is pretty attractive, too! I need to consult the review index to see what's said about them...

The Adam T5Vs look good, as do the Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ speakers. I also love the looks of the KRK RP5 G4. The glossy front panel of the JBL 305/306 turns me off a bit, and I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of the Kali LP6. But I really like the way every other speaker looks!

Time to consult the review index lol. Lots and lots of great recommendations here, thanks everyone! Would certainly appreciate any further recommendations or commentaries on these specific speakers, if anyone has anything more to say about them.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning

astcal

Forum Donor
iLoud Micro, $350 a pair. Sounds better than Audioengine A2+ to my ear.

ikc-L-iLoudMM_front34_sx_Mac.jpg

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would go for the iloud MTM since they have mic calibration deeper bass and more spl

ik-multimedia-iloud-mtm-04@1400x933[1].jpg

Last edited:

sfdoddsy

You are in the value sweet spot.

There are a bunch of extraordinarily good value speakers around at the moment, most of which have been mentioned above. T5V, 305P, KRK G4, Kali LP6, Vanatoo. You might be able to get the bigger bassier versions for your budget. Although I don’t think you should.

The real difficulty (iMHO) is that these budget monitors are so good you need to spend a lot more to get a little more improvement.

Personally, if bass is your thing, I’d get the best deal you can on any of the tips above. In the bass lighter small version.

And then add a sub.

The difference in bass extension between a 5 inch driver and a 6 is minor.

The smaller speaker will probably sound and measure better due to better integration.

But just as there are great $250 monitors these days, there are also very good $200 subwoofers. And they’ll make a real difference to bass fun.

The slim Dayton 1000 sub from Parts Express, for example, can be hidden under your desk and has been measured to give decent output down to 25hz.

Add a smidge of EQ and you’ll get performance that would cost you triple figures in stnd alone monitors. Which would have to be huge.

HeadDoc12

Lots of good tips here. I have a slight preference for Audioengine, as I like their looks, and they offer a lot of options at different (and reasonably low) price points; but I am also a Vanatoo fan. My only suggestion is to consider getting a pair with bluetooth built in. If you ever move, or decide to rearrange your setup, it's nice to be able to decide to make those your bedroom (or kitchen) speakers without any effort. Good luck!

OP
L

lukeman3000

It looks like there haven't been an official review for the Kanto TUK -- anyone know anything about these speakers? Love the way they look. And apparently Tiger Direct has them for $600...

Does anyone know how they might compare to the Vanatoo? I love the way both of these speakers look.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It looks like there haven't been an official review for the Kanto TUK -- anyone know anything about these speakers? Love the way they look. And apparently Tiger Direct has them for $600...

Does anyone know how they might compare to the Vanatoo? I love the way both of these speakers look.
here's Kanto TUK's (source)...
TUK%20REW%20visual%2002.png

Keith_W

Major Contributor
My take on it:

1. Watching Youtube videos, games: get the cheapest speaker that does the job or use your headphones.

2. Music (with bass). Those little satellite speakers will never reproduce low bass, and if that's what you want, you will need a subwoofer. You should also consider stands for your speakers to elevate them to ear level, unless you buy a speaker which angles upwards. Stands also have the advantage (or potential disadvantage, depending on how the speaker was designed) of eliminating early reflections from the table. If the designer took this into account, it would boost mostly lower frequencies depending on the distance from the woofer to the table. I would guesstimate about 600Hz and down given how small these things are.

Integrating a subwoofer to satellites will result in an incredibly lumpy frequency response which may be difficult to deal with without measuring equipment which will add additional expense. You might have some luck listening for problematic frequencies which are too loud and dialling them back with an equalizer. Or you could download an SPL meter for your phone and use an online sine wave generator.

You could also consider getting a high quality headphone for music. It will beat the pants off any speaker you care to name up to 10x it's price when it comes to things like resolution, consistency, and frequency response, but it will not give you the speaker experience, which is nice in itself. You get sound without having to put the headphones on your head, you can walk away from the computer and still listen to your Youtube documentary, and even with all sorts of audio flaws small speakers are associated with, it still sounds more natural.

For my own desktop system I use a very old Audioengine A1 - I think it is 12 years old now if not more. It still works perfectly fine. I don't listen to music on it - for that I use headphones.

wacomme

My vote is for the Kali LP-6 v2, but they’re somewhat tall and you don’t like the looks.

Top Bottom