• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Some Compact Active Speakers for Living Room

dfgoiuj

Hey,

Here's my current setup:

2 x B&O Beoplay S3
Adire Audio Shiva MK3 sub in ported 93L enclosure w/ 300W Class D amp
DRC filter running on Equalizer APO through Topping E30 DAC -> Sub -> Beoplays

I'm looking for something to replace the Beoplay S3s. While they sound pretty good when room corrected with the sub, they are lacking something, and the power-saving 'feature' drives me insane: around 10 seconds of low/no audio and they go into standby, requiring a good second or so to wake up again. Incredibly annoying with movies!

So I'm open to suggestions for replacements. I want good detail and imaging - particularly for vocals, line in, and of course no maddening power-saving features. Bass is less of a concern as I have my sub, which seems to integrate seamlessly when DRC correction is applied. For this I take multiple sweeps for left and right, combine, and run through DRC Designer.

To give an idea of price range and where my head has been, I've been considering the following secondhand:
  • KEF LSX
  • Beolab 3 (logical upgrade from Beoplays, but can't find much in the way of reviews)
  • Beolab 6000/8000 (not as compact, but could maybe get away with them due to how slim they are)
  • Google Home Max (yes really; I have the smaller Nest Audios, and they are frankly amazing for the size and price. I wonder if their DSP would get in the way of my own though)
  • Sonos 5 (maybe similar story to the Google Home Max?)
  • Various studio monitors (although they need to have WAF - big black boxes probably won't get a pass)
Ideas would be appreciated!

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Interesting. I have the beolab 9 and am very satisfied with them. I wouldn't buy the beolab 3 though. Neither the 6000 or 8000. Ime the 9s are in the sweetspot of price vs performance.

I found the kef ls50 lacking; the kef lsx even more.

The sonos 5 is pretty good but they have a sonos sound signature dialled in that you either like or not. I find it ok at first listen or for non critical listening.

Of the speakers you listed I would opt for studio monitors, like the genelec 8030C. They are dynamic, neutral and clear sounding. Just make sure they have enough spl (max volume) to fill your room with sound.

Last edited:
OP
D

dfgoiuj

Interesting. I have the beolab 9 and am very satisfied with them. I wouldn't buy the beolab 3 though. Neither the 6000 or 8000. Ime the 9s are in the sweetspot of price vs performance.

I found the kef ls50 lacking; the kef lsx even more.

The sonos 5 is pretty good but they have a sonos sound signature dialled in that you either like or not. I find it ok at first listen or for non critical listening.

Of the speakers you listed I would opt for studio monitors, like the genelec 8030C. They are dynamic, neutral and clear sounding. Just make sure they have enough spl (max volume) to fill your room with sound.

Thanks for the reply. I'd love a pair of BL9 or BL5 when I get a bigger place.

Have you heard the BL3? I haven't been able to find much on them, and would like to know what they are capable of. I like the idea of the acoustic lens, but haven't heard any speakers that use that tech.

The Genelecs might fit the bill, especially in white. Shame they aren't the prettiest though - they remind me of computer speakers from the 90s! I think the SPL would probably just be sufficient for my room: it's a bit larger than 4m x 4m and I'd be sat around 3m away from the speakers.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I have heard the bl3 when I audionened the bl9. I remember only bits and peaces:
- the bl3 was used in the back of a home cinema setup with a tv and bl9
- they integrated seemlessly, suggesting the had the same tonality in high and midrange
- the bl9 has way more bass and iirc dynamic impact

Tbh if I were to choose now for myself I would probably go for a genelec. ( Genelecs sound clearer and more dynamic. The greatest benefit of the bl9 is their wide dispersion and effortless bass.)

OP
D

dfgoiuj

I have heard the bl3 when I audionened the bl9. I remember only bits and peaces:
- the bl3 was used in the back of a home cinema setup with a tv and bl9
- they integrated seemlessly, suggesting the had the same tonality in high and midrange
- the bl9 has way more bass and iirc dynamic impact

Tbh if I were to choose now for myself I would probably go for a genelec. ( Genelecs sound clearer and more dynamic. The greatest benefit of the bl9 is their wide dispersion and effortless bass.)
That's a useful comparison, thanks.

And you'd choose the Genelecs over the BL9?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The bl9 are better than the 8030. (They should be at 8x their price and with 700 watts of power!)
However, given how good the 8030s are, I would hazard a guess that there are genelecs that are better than the bl9s.

Top Bottom