• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for small active STEREO speakers I can throw in a carry on bag and travel with

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A little old thread but i still wanna reply

What did you get ?

I would get the IK Multimedia iLoud MTM, especially since it comes with a calibration mic you just plug into one speaker and then the other side,speaker and they are calibrated in a few sec

Scrappy

Fostex is known to provide "pro" solutions for this usecase.
Amir tested one https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fostex-pm-03-active-speaker-review.12517/
the fullrange speaker is the most famous one though https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/6301N_Series.shtml
I have both of these. I am kinda a Fostex fanboy.. (for instance I spent $50 on a clock made from a Fostex tape reel, promotional item from tape days I guess).

Have had the 0.3’s on my work desk for years. Recently the AC adapter failed, gotta buy a new one.. For the nearest of nearfield, they sound great. MI “production” speakers, always liked the “mellow” nature of the tweeters.

I bought a pair of 6301’s for cheap as they had “mounting holes” drilled in em. These I mounted on some fabricobbled stands, and they sat outside on my porch for about a year before they got too damaged to listen to. Concrete/ stone half-wall, plenty enough bass from the two boundaries. Thought they sounded great, especially for dynamic music (read oldies and old country).

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I have both of these. I am kinda a Fostex fanboy.. (for instance I spent $50 on a clock made from a Fostex tape reel, promotional item from tape days I guess).

Have had the 0.3’s on my work desk for years. Recently the AC adapter failed, gotta buy a new one.. For the nearest of nearfield, they sound great. MI “production” speakers, always liked the “mellow” nature of the tweeters.

I bought a pair of 6301’s for cheap as they had “mounting holes” drilled in em. These I mounted on some fabricobbled stands, and they sat outside on my porch for about a year before they got too damaged to listen to. Concrete/ stone half-wall, plenty enough bass from the two boundaries. Thought they sounded great, especially for dynamic music (read oldies and old country).

I flirted with the new version of the 6301 for a while. would love to hear them, but no way here in Brazil. probably great for casual listening spaces, like kitchen for example

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I flirted with the new version of the 6301 for a while. would love to hear them, but no way here in Brazil. probably great for casual listening spaces, like kitchen for example

1659692191061.jpeg

The 6301 is more of a professional (FR band-limited) studio monitor than full-range hi-fi speaker in terms of its overall design and purpose.

Here's a balanced review with English translation from German:
Test: Fostex 6301 NX, near field monitor

But, be warned: I've also mentioned once or twice in the forums that the highs have a rather muted character esp. off-axis that some may find lacking or dull.

In this video, a larger BR design speaker of the same driver brand is compared with the Markaudio CHR-70:

Markaudio's metal driver (this one specifically -- can't say for the rest as I have no first-hand experience) has more biting/"spicy" highs which probably is the intent of the designer himself:

In the vast majority of these DIY designs that I've seen on the net, they often employ quite large boxes that still need external amplification ... so, to me, the whole idea of employing such small single full-range drivers seems not so ideal if you really want something "practical" and compact -- or something to travel with for work. Though, if I were to make my own (preferably sealed) single full-range driver speaker(s), I think it's probably going to be more a DIY exercise for my own enjoyment or as a center audio display (yet also very functional -- with wireless BT) "art piece" for my small living room.

Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08 4" Full Range

Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8414G-10 4" Full Range

Markaudio CHR-120-Champagne 6" Metal Cone Full Range

The latter 6" driver is @ppataki's choice for his own on-going project here: Fullrange speaker project based on Markaudio CHR-120

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
View attachment 222531

The 6301 is more of a professional (FR band-limited) studio monitor than full-range hi-fi speaker in terms of its overall design and purpose.

Here's a balanced review with English translation from German:
Test: Fostex 6301 NX, near field monitor

But, be warned: I've also mentioned once or twice in the forums that the highs have a rather muted character esp. off-axis that some may find lacking or dull.

In this video, a larger BR design speaker of the same driver brand is compared with the Markaudio CHR-70:

Markaudio's metal driver (this one specifically -- can't say for the rest as I have no first-hand experience) has more biting/"spicy" highs which probably is the intent of the designer himself:

In the vast majority of these DIY designs that I've seen on the net, they often employ quite large boxes that still need external amplification ... so, to me, the whole idea of employing such small single full-range drivers seems not so ideal if you really want something "practical" and compact -- or something to travel with for work. Though, if I were to make my own (preferably sealed) single full-range driver speaker(s), I think it's probably going to be more a DIY exercise for my own enjoyment or as a center audio display (yet also very functional -- with wireless BT) "art piece" for my small living room.

Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08 4" Full Range

Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8414G-10 4" Full Range

Markaudio CHR-120-Champagne 6" Metal Cone Full Range

The latter 6" driver is @ppataki's choice for his own on-going project here: Fullrange speaker project based on Markaudio CHR-120

I actually asked you about them a while ago. you forgot?
anyways, I went the opposite way with powerfull PA speaker lol.
I still find these litle things intresting as hell.
thanks for your contribuition

Scrappy

I actually asked you about them a while ago. you forgot?
anyways, I went the opposite way with powerfull PA speaker lol.
I still find these litle things intresting as hell.
thanks for your contribuition
Back when I was full-send buying all things Fostex, I saw the original tan 6301’s (no “B,” is the letter for “black” I wonder..) for like $140. Shoulda bought them, they looked sweet. Would be fine desk nearfields.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
no “B,” is the letter for “black” I wonde

no, the B versions were an updated version (90ies?)
the 1982 original has 20W (made in Japan)
B versions 33W (China and Taiwan). and you had BX and BE which had XLR inputs
the latest N versions have now a class D amp

Digby

Major Contributor
I suspect @romnation was a bot or spammer. Check their profile. They would start posts, but never follow up on any of them.
I always watch out for this kind of thing on forums. If they have low post count and don't reply to thread after a reasonable time (say 2 or 3 days), then I don't bother - like you say probably some bot.

Scrappy

no, the B versions were an updated version (90ies?)
the 1982 original has 20W (made in Japan)
B versions 33W (China and Taiwan). and you had BX and BE which had XLR inputs
the latest N versions have now a class D amp
Aha copy. And now with Dante!

AlmaAtaKZ

Attachments

• F5E153B3-2F6D-464D-92DC-225D6DD6F570.png
    F5E153B3-2F6D-464D-92DC-225D6DD6F570.png
    486.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

dr0ss

I have the original non bluetooth versions, good sound with lots of versatility, add a sub, eq app, vwired if required, very robust. Don't know if they reach the audiophile quality requirement though https://minirigs.co.uk/
Since this thread is still going I thought I'd second this recommendation. I've had a a Minirig for over a decade, it has crossed both the Atlantic and the Pacific several times and has been my main/only speaker on many occasions, for both music and watching movies (projected with a travel projector). Battery still holds quite a long charge. Somewhere on the internet is a a diy audio forum where the designer documented the steps in the speaker's creation.

When I bought my Minirig I almost bought the B&W MM1s that were just mentioned, and I do think the B&W sound a little better but they also seem a bit fragile; I was in Oslo at the time, and not sure they would survive the trip back to Honolulu. I also couldn't buy just one at the local dealer. In the end I'm glad I went with the Minirig because of its portability and amazing build quality.

We now have 2, so I'd be tempted to send one to Amir for testing, but mine are a very old generation so the review would not be as interesting as for new models.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The IK Micro Monitors are the best speakers I had ever owned, sounds even better than the JBL 305p with balanced inputs in near field IMO.

Top Bottom