• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for recommendations: USB DAC for PC with DTS/AC3 passthough to Optical port

ma3245

Looking for a reasonably good DAC for under $500 which I want to use with my PC. I intended to use the DAC's stereo output on a regular basis but I would like for it to have the capability to pass through DTS or Dolby content to an optical port, for occasional use. searched Amazon, the reviews but could not see one device that would fit the bill. I am hoping (no knowledge of the underlying tech.) there exists something which will be better than the onboard optical port (it's a Realtek ALC 1220). The speaker is a Martin Logan Verse soundbar. It's in a home/office and this way it looks a little cleaner...

Please share your recommendations. If I am looking for the wrong solution, please also let me know. Thank you.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am hoping (no knowledge of the underlying tech.) there exists something which will be better than the onboard optical port (it's a Realtek ALC 1220).

So the Realtek can already do it? If so, any issues with it? Since it is digital, any good receiver/DAC should handle the optical fine,

not sure what you are expecting in terms of something which will be "better".

Last edited:
OP
M

ma3245

So the Realtek can already do it? If so, any issues with it? Since it is digital, any good received/DAC should handle the optical fine,

not sure what you are expecting in terms of something which will be "better".

It does not have any issues that I see (hear). Just looking for a little bit better clarity.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you're using the onboard optical out then there is no DAC that will help you. Replace the soundbar with something else.

Veri

Master Contributor
Will a USB DAC such as the Modi 3 do better?
Maybe. You could try and send it back if it doesn't make a difference. Modi 3 does not do AC3 Dolby/DTS though, few DACs do..

But I second the thinking that if you find the sound not being 'clear', you might simply need better soundbar/speakers.

OP
M

ma3245

Maybe. You could try and send it back if it doesn't make a difference. Modi 3 does not do AC3 Dolby/DTS though, few DACs do..

But I second the thinking that if you find the sound not being 'clear', you might simply need better soundbar/speakers.

I get what you are saying. Before replacing the soundbar I want to try the DACs since those are much less expensive to replace.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The topping does not accept or pass multichannel audio. everything is 2 channel.
I would've thought a digital bridge would be agnostic to what it was passing through.

OP
M

ma3245

Which one would you recommend, between the Schiit Modi 3, SMSL Sanskrit 10th and Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus?

Veri

Master Contributor
Which one would you recommend, between the Schiit Modi 3, SMSL Sanskrit 10th and Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus?
DACMagic Plus has balanced connectors :) can you use those?

zermak

If you're looking for a DAC to feed the soundbar with RCAs then you are gonna lose the multichannels audio anyway and using it in stereo mode (in this case the DAC or the PC will do the downmix to stereo, it depends on your settings).
If you want to let the soundbar do the processing of the multichannels audio stream (I guess it will downmix to stereo anyway but with its own algorithms and DAC/processing) then as everyone suggested you can keep using the optical port (Toslink I presume) of your board.
I don't see the point in using a DAC unless you want a better spec-ed output on the analog stereo connections.

If the soundbar doesn't sound clear in my opinion the problem is the soundbar itself.

OP
M

ma3245

If you're looking for a DAC to feed the soundbar with RCAs then you are gonna lose the multichannels audio anyway and using it in stereo mode (in this case the DAC or the PC will do the downmix to stereo, it depends on your settings).
If you want to let the soundbar do the processing of the multichannels audio stream (I guess it will downmix to stereo anyway but with its own algorithms and DAC/processing) then as everyone suggested you can keep using the optical port (Toslink I presume) of your board.
I don't see the point in using a DAC unless you want a better spec-ed output on the analog stereo connections.

If the soundbar doesn't sound clear in my opinion the problem is the soundbar itself.
that is what I was looking for both the digital and analog outs. It seems there isn't anything that will do both. And so, for now, I am looking for a DAC since most of the time what I play for the PC is stereo anyway. for the occasional playback for DTS or Dolby movies, I can still use the optical out from the PC. After going through the reviews, I have ordered the topping DX3 Pro and it should be here tomorrow. If I can't hear much of a difference using that, then I will have to end this search until some time when I can start looking for better speakers.

zermak

You can also try the HDMI in (using your discrete GPU HDMI output or the integrated one on the motherboard) and see if it changes anything.

Anyway specs-wise I am pretty sure the DX3 Pro has better performance than the one inside the soundbar :)

OP
M

ma3245

You can also try the HDMI in (using your discrete GPU HDMI output or the integrated one on the motherboard) and see if it changes anything.

Anyway specs-wise I am pretty sure the DX3 Pro has better performance than the one inside the soundbar :)
That is what I am hoping for as well.

OP
M

ma3245

I guess I am chasing something. Which is probably not good.
My soundbar has this Anthem Room Correction feature and it sounds pretty decent with the ARC on. I mean its a clear distinction. Now, if I have ARC on, the analog signal from any DAC will be re-digitized and then converted by the internal DAC (I confirmed it with Martin Logan support). I have the topping D10 now and the "problem" is the D10 analog sounds better than my Realtek optical out even though it's going through 2 conversions (with ARC on). with ARC off, the analog from D10 sounds better than the Realtek. However, the Realtek sounds better with ARC on compared to the D10's ARC off. So, to me, it seems ARC makes more of a difference compared to what output or DAC I use. I will try the DX3 Pro and see if its the same case. Maybe I will just be at peace with myself and continue using the Realtek with the ARC feature on my soundbar.

zermak

I guess I am chasing something. Which is probably not good.
My soundbar has this Anthem Room Correction feature and it sounds pretty decent with the ARC on. I mean its a clear distinction. Now, if I have ARC on, the analog signal from any DAC will be re-digitized and then converted by the internal DAC (I confirmed it with Martin Logan support).
Yes, room correction surely changes the output in most usual cases because it should flatten the frequency response of the speaker(s) at the measuring point. You will always notice a difference between it being engaged or not no matter the DAC (unless the latter adds tons of noise and distortions of course) even when the correction is badly implemented.
I have the topping D10 now and the "problem" is the D10 analog sounds better than my Realtek optical out even though it's going through 2 conversions (with ARC on). with ARC off, the analog from D10 sounds better than the Realtek.
With ARC off this is kinda logical, the D10, if I recall, is a decent DAC and so it is more clean than the one used in the soundbar (just speculationg tho).
About the better sound from analog (from the D10) over the optical (from the Realtek toslink) with ARC engaged it may be a placebo effect (you should ABX the results) because as you said the signal from the analog in will have at least one more processing (=ADC inside the soundbar) before passing to the DSP chip and then the DAC chip.
However, the Realtek sounds better with ARC on compared to the D10's ARC off. So, to me, it seems ARC makes more of a difference compared to what output or DAC I use. I will try the DX3 Pro and see if its the same case. Maybe I will just be at peace with myself and continue using the Realtek with the ARC feature on my soundbar.
See first part :)

Top Bottom