• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Power Protector

Ronen

HI.
Any opinion what to "choose" : AudiQuest Niagra 5000 OR McIntosh MPC500 regarding power protection ?
I have a McIntosh A/V kit.
Price doesn't matter.
Thanks.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
HI.
Any opinion what to "choose" : AudiQuest Niagra 5000 OR McIntosh MPC500 regarding power protection ?
Price doesn't matter.
Thanks.
I would strongly suggest sticking with reputable brands like Tripp-Lite or Sola. That's the kind of stuff you see in mission-critical uses like hospitals and data centers.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Any opinion what to "choose"

I would strongly suggest sticking with reputable brands like Tripp-Lite or Sola. That's the kind of stuff you see in mission-critical uses like hospitals and data centers.

SurgeX is another I understand to be considered decent. Mine have given me no problems.

If it is marketed to 'audiophiles,' that's your clue to keep looking.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ronen

Tripp-Lite 12v Outlet

This should keep your A/v happy.

I am a Clinical engineer for medical diagnostics instruments and the majority of the instruments that need power surge protection uses Tripp-Lite surge protectors.

iLoveCats

What are your guy's thoughts on whole house protectors installed in the main breaker panel? They are now required in the US per the 2020 National Electrical Code book for residential construction and upgrades. They can't be snake oil if its in the code book.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I personally plug my amps into the wall directly. Depending your area and such, your breaker will deal with thunderstorms well. I remember I got this old used monster power strip from a thrift store and I trust that thing more than my local dollar stores offerings.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Cost no object? Server grade UPS. Eton I think use to make some of the best ones out there for industrial / Medical and Lab style supplies. Not the most efficient things out there.
These things as I recall are used in Military installations where the power has to be clean without any exceptions.

Its overkill. Needs 2 phase 240v. Not for the faint of heart. you buy something like this when the gear that you run is unobtainium

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are your guy's thoughts on whole house protectors installed in the main breaker panel? They are now required in the US per the 2020 National Electrical Code book for residential construction and upgrades. They can't be snake oil if its in the code book.
This is what Amir recommended.

Teeter

For his and hers TVs with satellite boxes, dvd, AVR, etc., both surge protectors are rated at 3000+ Jules. Two lab tops on the same surge protector is 1500 Jules. We have several power failures in our neighborhood over the past 15 years, including transformers being replaced, and none of the devices have ever been destroyed. The circuit lights on the surge protectors are still green.

I do have to go along with having Tripp Lite surge protection.

bkdc

Forum Donor
My gold standard is SurgeX and it commands a premium price. If I were building a house from scratch, I'd pay a few grand to have the SurgeX installed at the electrical panel for the entire home. SurgeX, ZeroSurge and Brickwall do not use a sacrificial MOV and can handle incredible current spikes.

D

Deleted member 46664

HI.
Price doesn't matter.
Thanks.
Best bet ... Head on down to Home Depot or even Walmart ... 6 or 8 outlet power strip with a fuse and surge protection ... $15.00 and mission accomplished. The super expensive stuff does nothing more and nothing better.

conqueeftador

Can anyone recommend something for the UK? Last time I checked none of the brands mentioned are available with our clearly superior 3 pin plug (untill you step on one).

Top Bottom