• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for "perfect" streamer.....

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is this a streamer vs. simply a wi-fi adapter? I use a BluDento HD to connect my stereo via Bluetooth to my phone which acts as the “streamer”. No attempt to be disparaging - just looking for clarification of terms.
I think that's a helluva good question, I have the rather nebulous notion that it is any device that allows transfer of the data stream from your music service to your preamp. As you mentioned, a phone can stream music via bluetooth to your system. Most streamers I am familiar with have built in DACs and analog outs as well as digital outs. I have always used the latter to connect to the DAC within my preamp. I have likewise chosen a wifi connection rather than bluetooth to avoid the compression inherent in the latter (I realize there are better codecs available now but TMK wireless is still considered superior). Some devices, including the AudioEngine, allow you to access your music services from within their interface. I know that some products such as those from Matrix have "native" apps built in, I believe for Tidal whereas they do not have Spotify built in, not sure re Qobuz. If there is a more specific definition of streamer I'd enjoy hearing from our colleagues, including any recommendations for ways to achieve optimum SQ

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't think there is a clear set of definitions, and if there was then there would be so many that it wouldn't be helpful anyway because of the number of available variations. Even then you couldn't say which one of them PiCorePlayer was because it would depend on whether you were using a hat or USB DAC, a touchscreen, or which LMS plugin you installed.

D888

I think that article is somewhat misleading in that Raspicast is an alternative casting software with similar capabilities to chromecast but using its own protocol, rather than a compatible implementation of the chromecast protocol.

Ah i see.. Thanks for the clarification

Anyway another potential CCA alternative would be via toslink out from one of those chromecast built-in smart tvs...

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just purchased an Audioengine B-Fi (about $190), it has a simple friendly interface or you can ignore the interface and use the apps on your phone, pad, laptop to direct the show. Uses your wireless network so it should provide superior results compared to bluetooth. So far the B-Fi is working great, <1/2 the cost of a Port or Node.
Are you still happy with it? Do you know how it can work with multiple rooms using passive speakers?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you still happy with it? Do you know how it can work with multiple rooms using passive speakers?

In fact I returned it because it did not support Amazon HD. They are nice folks and said they are working on adding that service but it would be a while. They should have made it more clear in their marketing. I don't know about multiple rooms, good question for their support people.

OP
S

Sounchasr

I bought a $500 Dell laptop that has been working great connected to my DAC. Not sure if it's the "perfect" streamer but I'm happy with it for now. I can play anything.

yvrmike

has anyone tried installing chromecast onto a raspberry pi?

https://pcmac.biz/raspberrypi-as-chromecast-device/

An actual Chromecast end-point on a RPi would be amazing. Sadly, not currently possible. Haven't played with Raspicast yet. Might.

However... casting to a Chromecast device from a Raspberry Pi is possible. Here's a shot of my LMS with the Squeeze2Cast / Chromecast Bridge plug-in enabled, showing a plethora of Chromecast built-in devices. One is a CCA feeding an external DAC through a 3.5mm optical to TOSLINK, into the family AV receiver.

Oh, and hello everyone, been lurking for a couple months.

(An entirely different topic and also sadly not yet possible, a Youtube Music integration in LMS or some other integrating solution. Yeah, I know I could go with Tidal or Spotify but the YT Premium family plan scratches the itch for everyone else here and makes YT videos commercial-free, which I've come to appreciate too.)

Mike

Screenshot from 2020-11-05 16-31-01.png

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
(An entirely different topic and also sadly not yet possible, a Youtube Music integration in LMS or some other integrating solution. Yeah, I know I could go with Tidal or Spotify but the YT Premium family plan scratches the itch for everyone else here and makes YT videos commercial-free, which I've come to appreciate too.)
Are you sure? There have been reports of the Youtube plugin from the 3rd party section working with YouTube Music (found one) although it was a while back so they could have changed something since.

yvrmike

I think that's for standard Youtube video playback (audio only... but the entire video stream has to be pulled down) as opposed to the Youtube Music service. I did play a bit with it.

Sstickers66

Hello, new member and wishing to weigh in on the streamer thread.

I am too looking at the Audioengine B-Fi, but the more I read about it the more I find the support for Android to be limited. Seems like if a music service is not supported in the app, their stock answer is to bypass the app and use Airplay. (firt go buy aniPhone).

There's some vagueness about using DLNA with Android if you wish to stream other content not supported by their app. Does anyone know what this means? For instance I don't think the B-Fi supports Deezer, Amazon HD or Youtube Music - these are not insignificant content services. So if I don't have an Apple device that supports Airplay I'm out of luck?

Is this a licensing issue? Google had the Chromecast Audio but discontinued it - why not then partner with 3rd party devices/apps to allow for content streaming?

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm looking at a high-res Bluetooth 5.0 device as an alternative. At least with BT there's not stupid "we don't support this service" licensing BS.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, new member and wishing to weigh in on the streamer thread.

I am too looking at the Audioengine B-Fi, but the more I read about it the more I find the support for Android to be limited. Seems like if a music service is not supported in the app, their stock answer is to bypass the app and use Airplay. (firt go buy aniPhone).

There's some vagueness about using DLNA with Android if you wish to stream other content not supported by their app. Does anyone know what this means? For instance I don't think the B-Fi supports Deezer, Amazon HD or Youtube Music - these are not insignificant content services. So if I don't have an Apple device that supports Airplay I'm out of luck?

Is this a licensing issue? Google had the Chromecast Audio but discontinued it - why not then partner with 3rd party devices/apps to allow for content streaming?

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm looking at a high-res Bluetooth 5.0 device as an alternative. At least with BT there's not stupid "we don't support this service" licensing BS.
I have bought 4 Chromecast Audio modules on EBay. Cheap, easy to set up, easy to control, WiFi quality. Much better IMO than another box with limited connectivity. Unles you want to spend $$$.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

The AudioEngine B-Fi supports DLNA, so you can use it as a renderer from apps such as BubbleUPnP, HiFiCast, LMS, etc. Note that there are MANY apps that use the same LinkPlay module as the B-Fi. The best app I've found comes from Audio Pro AB (screenshot below), and will work fine with the B-Fi. It includes Deezer, Amazon (standard rez), Qobuz, Tidal among others. Every device I've seen so far uses the LinkPlay A31 module. The newer LinkPlay A98 module, which doesn't appear to be out in the wild yet, should support AirPlay 2 and Amazon HD.

Screenshot 2021-02-20 8.22.20 AM.png

Top Bottom