• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Open back wide soundstage headphones under $500

c0z

Hi gang, newbie here. I'm not entirely new to the audiophile realm, though. I have a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100 masters, and have had beyerdynamic cans in the past, as well. all closed back. I like the feel of speakers in a room and am looking for a set of cans that are open back, have a wide sound stage and are good for referencing, well as close to reference as possible for a wide soundstage open backs can get. Are there a set of cans that have the details of planars, but the bass and dynamics of dynamic headphones? I realize there's going to be a compromise here.. especially since I'm asking for under $500.. please be kind...

I just want a set of cans that will bring me to tears listening to a solo grand piano performance or give me goosebumps listening to my fav prog metal/rock stuff.

The V-Modas just don't do it, and the cheap in ear buds I got from a gas station give me more feels than those V-Modas. they fell too "closed off" lmao, puns.

I preferably want something that has strong, clear, undistorted sub-bass and bass response to give you those feels, without muddying up the highs.

I'm using a very high quality headphone usb DAC that sounds better than my already great sounding Singxer SA-1 headphone amp. I'm using a balanced cable from both into the V-Moda, which was an improvement, but now I want that open back "speakers in a room" feel, but on my ears as I am in an apartment now.

Much Thanks in advance to your expertise and advise! I'm not looking to get "schooled" I just want some cans that can deliver as close to what I want as possible for under $500. I'm not opposed to buying older models, if they are in new condition. I read some reviews the HD560s might be nice, but they don't appear to have the bass I want and too much highs in the review posted here. I preferably want something that the Verum 1 mkII offers. The Audio-Technica ATH-R70x response looks nice, too, but lacking that bass I want. I realize one is planar and the other dynamic. I'm leaning more towards what a planar can offer, tbh.

Apologies for the long post, just trying to get all the asks and deets in. Peace!

stubaggs

Forum Donor
Hi gang, newbie here. I'm not entirely new to the audiophile realm, though. I have a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100 masters, and have had beyerdynamic cans in the past, as well. all closed back. I like the feel of speakers in a room and am looking for a set of cans that are open back, have a wide sound stage and are good for referencing, well as close to reference as possible for a wide soundstage open backs can get. Are there a set of cans that have the details of planars, but the bass and dynamics of dynamic headphones? I realize there's going to be a compromise here.. especially since I'm asking for under $500.. please be kind...

I just want a set of cans that will bring me to tears listening to a solo grand piano performance or give me goosebumps listening to my fav prog metal/rock stuff.

The V-Modas just don't do it, and the cheap in ear buds I got from a gas station give me more feels than those V-Modas. they fell too "closed off" lmao, puns.

I preferably want something that has strong, clear, undistorted sub-bass and bass response to give you those feels, without muddying up the highs.

I'm using a very high quality headphone usb DAC that sounds better than my already great sounding Singxer SA-1 headphone amp. I'm using a balanced cable from both into the V-Moda, which was an improvement, but now I want that open back "speakers in a room" feel, but on my ears as I am in an apartment now.

Much Thanks in advance to your expertise and advise! I'm not looking to get "schooled" I just want some cans that can deliver as close to what I want as possible for under $500. I'm not opposed to buying older models, if they are in new condition. I read some reviews the HD560s might be nice, but they don't appear to have the bass I want and too much highs in the review posted here. I preferably want something that the Verum 1 mkII offers. The Audio-Technica ATH-R70x response looks nice, too, but lacking that bass I want. I realize one is planar and the other dynamic. I'm leaning more towards what a planar can offer, tbh.

Apologies for the long post, just trying to get all the asks and deets in. Peace!
Take a look at the Dan Clark Aeon, https://danclarkaudio.com/aeon-rt-new-1.html.

There is also a review here on ASR, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/

They also turn up, discounted, on Drop fairly regularly.

Reactions: c0z

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hifiman Edition XS should be on your list.
Here are measurements, EQ suggestions, and subjective impressions by Resolve

OP
C

c0z

Take a look at the Dan Clark Aeon, https://danclarkaudio.com/aeon-rt-new-1.html.

There is also a review here on ASR, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/

They also turn up, discounted, on Drop fairly regularly.
Would you happen to know the differences between the Drop + Dan Clark Aeon Flow X Open versus the Dan Clark Aeon RT? I have a suspicion it's the same exact tuning, etc.

Has anyone compared the Aeon RT Open with the Aeon 2 Open? Should I ask this in a new topic?

ManuCV

I would recommend the Avantone Pro Planar. They don't have the widest soundstage, but their bass and sub-bass are super precise (and good amounts of both). Piano sounds great on these, as well as harder stuff like rock. They are quite flat, so don't expect V sound but they are very EQ-friendly.

Reactions: c0z
Top Bottom