• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for new desktop amp to drive Kef LS50s under 1000$ - Recommendations?

kniff

New user, love the site! Science-based reviews is rare (but welcome) in the audiophile world. :)

Currently driving Kef LS50s with a Sabaj A4 that works OK (Had the Emotiva Basx A-100 / Schiit Modi 1-combo earlier) but am still curious if i can get them to open up with more oompf.

I'm considering the new Topping D50s with the XTZ EDGE A2-300 Class D Icepower amp (2x150W @ 8 ohms) which seems like a crazy package for under 800$ unless i am missing something?

I did look at Hypex since Class D fascinates me, but it would bust the budget quite a bit..

Any other recommendations for either an integrated that fits on my desk, or a combo like the one above?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming that XTZ Edge really meets its spec, you'll probably have trouble doing better for the price.

OP
kniff

kniff

Assuming that XTZ Edge really meets its spec, you'll probably have trouble doing better for the price.

Thanks for replying, this was my thinking as well. Here are some published measurements of the amp (posted by another member here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mplifiers-to-test-and-review.2238/post-142912)

I've also contacted XTZ (i've had heaps of their gear throughout the years and use their floorspeakers in my livingroom) to contact the site so we can get some in-depth numbers from Amir.

Attachments

• IhQ6pqj.jpg
    IhQ6pqj.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 196
  • HePq6np.jpg
    HePq6np.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 170

georgeT

That XTZ amp looks good for the price, if you don't mind high THD+N values above 5khz.
Going by all the measurements available here there really aren't any amps with better price performance ratio than the nc400 based units.

OP
kniff

kniff

BillG

Major Contributor
OP
kniff

kniff

I've looked at your site when i was searching for premade Hypex amps (some truly nice gear!) as well as Apollon and a few others, if my budget was a tad higher i'd be more inclined to go down that route but alas - taxes, customs and shipping to Sweden is no fun..

Its little brother has had its DAC performance measured, which should give you an idea of the quality of the device:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/08/measurements-smsl-a6-as-dac-part-ii.html

And ICEPower modules are a known quantity at this point: They measure well, but not as well as Hypex... :cool:

Thanks for the link!

Mtbf

New user, love the site! Science-based reviews is rare (but welcome) in the audiophile world. :)

Currently driving Kef LS50s with a Sabaj A4 that works OK (Had the Emotiva Basx A-100 / Schiit Modi 1-combo earlier) but am still curious if i can get them to open up with more oompf.

I'm considering the new Topping D50s with the XTZ EDGE A2-300 Class D Icepower amp (2x150W @ 8 ohms) which seems like a crazy package for under 800$ unless i am missing something?

I did look at Hypex since Class D fascinates me, but it would bust the budget quite a bit..

Any other recommendations for either an integrated that fits on my desk, or a combo like the one above?

Thanks!
Here is a link to a recent review of the XTZ EDGE A2-300. It’s in German.

https://www.lowbeats.de/test-xtz-edge-a2-300-leistungsstarker-endverstaerker/

Ajax

Forum Donor
Top Bottom