• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for mini PC plus audio interface for audio Swiss Army knife.

Schollaudio

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to buy a mini computer $150-500 and add a USB audio interface for a wide range of audio applications including:

REW measurements.
Audio streaming and serving.
Playing around with MIDI synths
Using syth plugins for music.
recording and processing audio and video.

What mini's and audio interfaces are you guys using?

Thanks!!

Scott

OP
S

Schollaudio

Thinking about this one Mini PC and the SSL SSL2+ for an interface. I'd just use the MiniDSP mic and Dayton DAC01 for REW measurements/

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Think about a Mele Quieter 3. I use this for a HTPC. It's fanless, costs around $250, will run JRiver and Dirac (including DLBC). If you want, you can run desktop windows app of streaming services (Netflix, Qobuz, Tidal, Hulu, etc), it will send 4k HDR output via HDMI to your TV and sound to your DAC via usb without lipsync issues. Just does everything I need, but not powerful enough to run Roon. Around the size of a VCR cassette. Comes with Windows 11 Pro loaded. Archimago review is here.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone applied DSP and used an audio interface for analog input with that mini PC? (or any other fanless).

I don't know if the 5105 have enough power to do that efficiently and without skips.

Everything more powerful seems to have fans included

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I know people who run convolution engines with DSP on Raspberry Pi's. However that kind of low powered computing is not enough to run a full featured audio player with pretty graphics on top of it. It can be used as a Roon endpoint though. For your purpose, I would think a Mini PC should be adequate.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know people who run convolution engines with DSP on Raspberry Pi's. However that kind of low powered computing is not enough to run a full featured audio player with pretty graphics on top of it. It can be used as a Roon endpoint though. For your purpose, I would think a Mini PC should be adequate.

Is what I think, the raspberry worked well with DSP in stereo or the audio interface ... But if you use both at the same time (ADC 44.1/16 + DSP) you get lots of skips.

ADC with 96/24 and DSP is what I want to do.

Top Bottom