• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Honest DAC Upgrade Advise

Bambooken

Currently I have a first generation Topping D10 (I was an early adopter) attached to a 2011 Mac mini that has been stripped down and functions as a dedicated audio server using Audirvāna and Amazon Music "unlimited" version. I listen to vinyl more often but have come to appreciate the ease of streaming. I have a decent system that is powered by an Onkyo TX-RZ810 (a moment of silence for R.I.P Onkyo). The Onkyo packs an AKM, AK4458VN internal DAC that does sound very good. However, from a listening perspective, the Topping's ESS ES9018K2M sounds better (to my ears), warmer and a tad less bright. I have a growing library of high resolution music to accommodate.

I feel like the Topping D10 stopgap has played out and I'd like to upgrade. I learned from the D10 that I don't need to spend gobs of $$ to have great sound. So, I'm thinking a $300-ish budget should be workable. My current considerations are: SMSL DO100 and Topping E50. I'm assuming that either will be a noticeable difference compared to the D10 (mostly based on the tests and reviews posted by @amirm (huge thanks) and to other posters opinions (more thanks). BTW: I'm not interested in bluetooth being onboard.
Note: I do like the possibility of multiple inputs that the SMSL DO100 offers.

Thoughts, opinions, other options to consider… all are greatly appreciated.
TIA
In case you are wondering… My speakers are a pair of sublime, floor standing, Opera Callas Divas.

OP
Bambooken

Bambooken

Don’t expect to perceive any sonic differences between well-designed DACs, rather, buy based on features, styling, or “need” for a new toy :p
I 100% appreciate your sentiment, especially the "new toy" angle. I'll probably go with the SMSL, do an A/B comparison with my D10 and take it from there. Again, input from the masses here… opinions especially, are much appreciated.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm assuming that either will be a noticeable difference compared to the D10 (mostly based on the tests and reviews posted by @amirm (huge thanks) and to other posters opinions (more thanks).
That would be incorrect.

There is not going to be a humanly-audible difference between a DAC with a SINAD of 105 dB and a DAC with a SINAD of 120 dB (I'm picking @amirm's favorite top-line number, but the same goes for the rest of the measurements).

If you need balanced outputs, or Toslink/Coax inputs, then yeah, the Topping E50 or the SMSL DO100 are fine upgrades from the D10. But if you're not going to actually use any of the new features ...

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you check SINAD scores of the stuff here, then just buy based on connections and features alone. I've had dozens of DACs and for single ended, the Topping d10s, Khadas tone board, and the old or new JDS Atom DAC are all fun if you don't need Bluetooth or a remote control.

I currently use an SMSL M300 but only because it's got all the connectors I need to easily test all the equipment I get in. Soundwise the only difference is that with filter 5 and temperature 3 it makes my bright headphones just less bright enough I don't have to equalize or use toilet paper on the driver anymore.

OP
Bambooken

Bambooken

There is not going to be a humanly-audible difference between a DAC with a SINAD of 105 dB and a DAC with a SINAD of 120 dB (I'm picking @amirm's favorite top-line number, but the same goes for the rest of the measurements).
@samsa - I'm using my Topping D10 to connect my MacMini server to my audio system vis USB. I take advantage of the highest resolution files I can use. Either CD rips or higher resolution downloads. Putting aside the charts and graphs, do you really think that I would not hear any appreciable difference if I swapped out my D10 for the SMSL DO100?

~ As an aside, I currently play CDs on an aged (2007) Music Hall, CD-25.2 (Burr-Brown PCM 1738 24-bit/192kHz DAC). This player's transport is excellent. The player has coax outputs. So, with the SMSL DO100 I could coax in and take advantage of a more current DAC technology while at the same time, running my music server vis USB through the SML too. I'm not a gear head and do not make choices based solely on charts and graphs. My ears (aged as they are), are my final test. Does upgrading to the SML only make sense when considering the connectivity? Or, do you think there would be a noticeable ear-based difference?

Astojab

I did a A/B/x blindtest between the DX3Pro and the E50 and wasnt able to distinguish them in any meaningful way. If you want an audible upgrade it would be something like the Minidsp Flex with Dirac or jsut REW roomcorrectin, if you not already use it.

OP
Bambooken

Bambooken

That would be incorrect.

If you need balanced outputs, or Toslink/Coax inputs, then yeah, the Topping E50 or the SMSL DO100 are fine upgrades from the D10. But if you're not going to actually use any of the new features ...
There is not going to be a humanly-audible difference between a DAC with a SINAD of 105 dB and a DAC with a SINAD of 120 dB
I found the SINAD for the SMSL DO100 (120 dB) but I can't seem to find it for the D10. Anyone have that figure handy? Or, teach me how to fish… ?
TIA

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently I have a first generation Topping D10 (I was an early adopter) attached to a 2011 Mac mini that has been stripped down and functions as a dedicated audio server using Audirvāna and Amazon Music "unlimited" version. I listen to vinyl more often but have come to appreciate the ease of streaming. I have a decent system that is powered by an Onkyo TX-RZ810 (a moment of silence for R.I.P Onkyo). The Onkyo packs an AKM, AK4458VN internal DAC that does sound very good. However, from a listening perspective, the Topping's ESS ES9018K2M sounds better (to my ears), warmer and a tad less bright. I have a growing library of high resolution music to accommodate.

I feel like the Topping D10 stopgap has played out and I'd like to upgrade. I learned from the D10 that I don't need to spend gobs of $$ to have great sound. So, I'm thinking a $300-ish budget should be workable. My current considerations are: SMSL DO100 and Topping E50. I'm assuming that either will be a noticeable difference compared to the D10 (mostly based on the tests and reviews posted by @amirm (huge thanks) and to other posters opinions (more thanks). BTW: I'm not interested in bluetooth being onboard.
Note: I do like the possibility of multiple inputs that the SMSL DO100 offers.

Thoughts, opinions, other options to consider… all are greatly appreciated.
TIA
In case you are wondering… My speakers are a pair of sublime, floor standing, Opera Callas Divas.
You're wasting brain cells thinking that there will be a difference.

Bleib

Major Contributor

Harryharryharry

I recently bought a D0100 and think it's great especially for the money. Brought a newease of life to my old Adam audio speakers. Quite stricking. Can't compare to the D10 though.

However given the price of your speakers I'd personally be inclined to spend a couple hundred $$ for the peace of mind that your DAC is totally transparent. Wiser people might save their cash...

Top Bottom