• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for high-pass xover solution for 2.1 desk setup

ck42

Forum Donor
I'm trying to find a solution to provide high pass xover for some Overnight Sensation speakers and a small sub for my office. (Amp doesn't provide this function - only has a LOWpass xover built-in
)
Trying to cap the cost somewhere around $200 (very hard to justify more than that with this budget type of 2.1 setup).

The best solution I've come up with so far is a MiniDSP HD...setup to operate as the xover.
Another option, at half the price but of questionable quality, is the Rolls SX45 electronic xover.

But...can't help but wonder if maybe there's something else I'm missing.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to clarify, you're looking for something that is line level/single-ended in/out, right?

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
Appologies...yes, should've stated that. Looking for line-level/unbalanced xover.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This board from Hifiberry has a more capable DSP processor than the MiniDSP you're looking at and is significantly cheaper.

Analogue performance is an unknown as far as I'm aware, but their DAC+ board measured very well here when Amir tested it, so I would expect good performance from this board too.

WesParker

I could be reading that wrong, but it doesn't look like that board has ADC. I know Behringer makes some pro gear that people like to use. But I think you've already found your answer, within the price range you are looking at. I'd also consider saving some pennies and just getting the regular MiniDSP. It was good enough for Linkwitz Orion speakers back in the day...

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
Further clarification....already have (will also be upgrading shortly to a Topping D50s) so no need for the xover to have/provide DAC functionality.

Checking out that Hifiberry unit now...

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Further clarification....already have (will also be upgrading shortly to a Topping D50s) so no need for the xover to have/provide DAC functionality.

Checking out that Hifiberry unit now...

If all you'll be needing is digital in/out, nanodigi would be another option.

Or would you be looking for something with analogue in/digital out?

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
If all you'll be needing is digital in/out, nanodigi would be another option.

Or would you be looking for something with analogue in/digital out?

Originally looking for an analogue option....but that's really what this thread is about....is there maybe a better way of doing what I'm wanting to accomplish....so I'm not opposed to alternate solutions.

Regarding the Hifiberry board with the DSP - How would I use that board for xover functionality? Is there a software app that configures it like the MiniDSP?

Wafflesocks

You might try the techtalk forum at parts express if you want a passive highpass filter. There are quite a few people with knowledge of the overnight sensations, and have crossover modeling software

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You might try the techtalk forum at parts express if you want a passive highpass filter. There are quite a few people with knowledge of the overnight sensations, and have crossover modeling software

Def an interesting idea. My first thought is that it would be difficult to passively cross that speaker over so close to the port tuning frequency due to the double peak in the impedance (presumably) around 60-100Hz.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Originally looking for an analogue option....but that's really what this thread is about....is there maybe a better way of doing what I'm wanting to accomplish....so I'm not opposed to alternate solutions.

Regarding the Hifiberry board with the DSP - How would I use that board for xover functionality? Is there a software app that configures it like the MiniDSP?

Yeh, IIUC it uses Sigma Studio. A bit less intuitive than the minidsp software but more capable once you've mastered it.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@ck42 just to clarify, Sigma Studio actually has more functionality than the MiniDSP HD (eg FIR filters), it's just that it's also got a steeper learning curve. Having said that, for sub integration, you probably have all you need with MiniDSP, and there is also better online support for DIYers I would imagine.

In terms of other options, Wondom also makes an ADAU1701 based ADC/DSP/DAC that uses Sigma Studio. It's way cheaper than the competition and performs basically the same as the MiniDSP 2x4 (non HD version) as it uses the same basic hardware. Just another idea..

Severian

Forum Donor
I like my Dayton Audio DSP-408. Some recent discussion here.

With budget speakers like the Overnight Sensations, I wouldn't be sweating the last bit of DAC performance from the DSP. The improvement you will get from precisely dialing in the sub crossover and EQ is worth it.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP 2x4HD seems the way to go. I am thinking about it myself.

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
@andreasmaaan Thanks for the pointer to Wondom! Bookmarking that one! Some good stuff there I might need later. Missed your earlier reply about Sigma Studio software being used for the Hifiberry.

@Severian Good find on the Dayton DSP. Roughly $50 cheaper than the MiniDSP. Just need to determine if that price difference is worth it.

So bottom line, I've got some GREAT feedback here! Now I just need to chew on it for a while. REALLY appreciate it, guys!

Last edited:

Tatteredmidnight

I use the rolls sx-95 and have had no complaints, obviously it's not working on in the digital domain, but that can be a plus or a minus depending on your audio chain. I'm not sure why you say the sx-45 is of dubious quality, it's an established brand.

I would stay away from Behringer x-overs, I was using a cx-2310 in another system and it failed for no reason one night while I was sleeping and pumped a full level signal into all connected (active) speakers at around 60hz (just a guess as to the frequency). It was startling to say the least and could have damaged equipment potentially.

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
I use the rolls sx-95 and have had no complaints, obviously it's not working on in the digital domain, but that can be a plus or a minus depending on your audio chain. I'm not sure why you say the sx-45 is of dubious quality, it's an established brand.

I would stay away from Behringer x-overs, I was using a cx-2310 in another system and it failed for no reason one night while I was sleeping and pumped a full level signal into all connected (active) speakers at around 60hz (just a guess as to the frequency). It was startling to say the least and could have damaged equipment potentially.

Embarrassed to say that I didn't even know about the SX-95 model. My searches simply just kept coming up with the SX-45. Looking at this now on their website. It's actually a product designed to do just this one thing I'm looking for. One more thing to consider. :)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

@Tatteredmidnight are you sure that the SX-95 is able to high-pass filter the speaker output? Looking at the manual here it seems that it applies a low-pass filter to the sub and then sends an unfiltered output to the speakers.

Top Bottom