• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking For Headphone Amp With Always-On Passthrough

PalmtopNihilist

Per title - looking for a relatively well measuring but CHEAP headphone amp that has an always-on passthrough, similar to how the THX-789 did it. Have been looking at the Topping lower-range stuff but seems like they only have passthroughs that are active when the amps are off, which is a no go. Balanced is a bonus but probably not realistic on a budget.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Per title - looking for a relatively well measuring but CHEAP headphone amp that has an always-on passthrough, similar to how the THX-789 did it. Have been looking at the Topping lower-range stuff but seems like they only have passthroughs that are active when the amps are off, which is a no go. Balanced is a bonus but probably not realistic on a budget.
Not much help as the 789 is the only one I am aware of. But have you thought about splitting at the source output- cheap and effective rca splitter jacks (assume you could do the same for xlr)

Reactions: MCH

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit Magnius.

TechEnthusiast

Topping DX3Pro+ does it for $199.
It is SE and includes a Dac as well as a pretty powerful amp. You can pass through the source while still listening to your headphones as well as run one or the other by itself (if 5hat is what you are looking for). Bonus; it has a myriad of inputs including bluetooth and comes with a handy remote control.

OP
PalmtopNihilist

PalmtopNihilist

Topping DX3Pro+ does it for $199.
It is SE and includes a Dac as well as a pretty powerful amp. You can pass through the source while still listening to your headphones as well as run one or the other by itself (if 5hat is what you are looking for). Bonus; it has a myriad of inputs including bluetooth and comes with a handy remote control.

I decided I'd give the DX3Pro a shot - also handy to have as a second playback zone for JRiver Media Center and continue to use my SU-8v2 so I can take advantage of separate zone EQ in Jriver when I have friends over and they're using different cans.

ADU

Major Contributor
Haven't tried it, but I think my $100 Bellari HA543 may also have a line-level passthrough. And it has balanced XLR inputs. I don't know if the passthrough would work when the unit is off. But you can call Rolls techsupport and ask.

ha543-rear.jpg

Last edited:
OP
PalmtopNihilist

PalmtopNihilist

Unfortunately the DX3Pro+ is going back - Despite what the manual suggests, it doesn't seem like the rear RCA output volume can actually be fixed at 100%, even in "DAC" mode. As soon as you start adjusting the volume from the front if you have headphones plugged in, the rear RCA volume will also fluctuate, making it kind of useless for my use-case.

MCH

Major Contributor
Unfortunately the DX3Pro+ is going back - Despite what the manual suggests, it doesn't seem like the rear RCA output volume can actually be fixed at 100%, even in "DAC" mode. As soon as you start adjusting the volume from the front if you have headphones plugged in, the rear RCA volume will also fluctuate, making it kind of useless for my use-case.
But, if you want fixed level allways on pass-through, why don't you just use a Y cable?
Or these:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01BML4M68/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_JGATYHW2543B6Z5A1ACK

I would think this feature in amps is so rare because it isn't really necessary...
(sorry in advance if i am missing something)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But, if you want fixed level allways on pass-through, why don't you just use a Y cable?
Or these:

RCA Y Splitter 1 RCA Male to 2 RCA Female RCA Phono Extension Adapter AV Audio Video Inputs Hub Extension for TV Car GPS Navigation Stereo Side View Camera / Front Cameras - 3 Pieces https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01BML4M68/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_JGATYHW2543B6Z5A1ACK

I would think this feature in amps is so rare because it isn't really necessary...

I was just about to suggest the same thing.

splitter.jpg

Depending on how the headphone amp is constructed (volume control first and then amplifier parts or buffer first and then volume control) a switched-off headphone amp could potentially cause the source signal to distort the sound (a little) in the latter case depending on how high the signal level is, the output resistance of the source and input circuit of the headphone amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

ADU

Major Contributor
Or these:

It may not be as common on consumer headamps, MarcosCh. But it's not that uncommon to find passthroughs like this on studio headamps. (I assume that's not what the OP wants though.)

The Bellari HA543 (made by Rolls) is sort of in between a consumer and studio amp though, which is one of the reasons I bought it. It's low in impedance, like a consumer headamp. But it also has some features that might come in handy in some studio applications, like the balanced XLR inputs, passthrough, and mute button.

It will supposedly pass through a signal from the XLRs to the RCA outputs as well. So it's possible it could also be used for some basic balanced to unbalanced signal conversion. I haven't really tested any of these features on my unit though. So I'm not sure about that, or exactly how its passthrough features work. And use it mostly just as a basic headamp for my 250-ohm DT-770's.

Last edited:

Boltman92124

Or these:

Hi! First post here at ASR. How will an RCA splitter create a fixed line level signal from pre-outs (not volume controlled) on a headphone amp? It seems to me like pass through outputs would be preferable if the headphone amp is used in a tape loop/monitor correct? How would you use a splitter? I'm considering the Topping L50/A30Pro for the same reasons. I don't want to max out a volume control and also connect a Schiit Loki in the tape loop. ?? My tape loop is in my McCormack line stage. Thanks!

bkdc

Forum Donor
A splitter is the best option.
But I hate clutter.
I'm feeding the signal from one DAC to two separate headphone amps sitting in a stack (XLR connections), and I made a custom cable identical to this one with some spare Canare starquad. I found it odd that Canare cable OD is thinner than my gold standard Mogami even though the Mogami wire gauge is thinner. That middle connector is a PITA to solder.

Last edited:

Boltman92124

A splitter is the best option.
But I hate clutter.
I'm feeding the signal from one DAC to two separate headphone amps sitting in a stack (XLR connections), and I made a custom cable identical to this one with some spare Canare starquad. I found it odd that Canare cable OD is thinner than my gold standard Mogami even though the Mogami wire gauge is thinner. That middle connector is a PITA to solder.

A pass through output seems optimal if using in a tape loop/processor loop. Having the amplifier section/volume in the HPA output isn't necessary and would certainly color the sound. With a Loki EQ or similar set up to be- Line stage Tape Out>EQ input> EQ output> HPA input> HPA passthrough output>line stage tape in. Use the HPA with any source you want including vinyl and have EQ for headphones or speakers. Or just bypass the whole thing turning off the tape monitor.

Top Bottom