• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for great PC nearfield speakers that can play low-quality sources (Spotify & YouTube)

murkr

My Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 just died and I would like to upgrade to something a little nicer.

I currently have an RME ADI-2 DAC that is connected into my PC (for headphone use). Since I have this DAC I am looking to get some computer desk (nearfield) speakers to plug into it.

I like a warmer sound. Though I'm more just trying to avoid buying audiophile speakers that are very bright and tinny. I listen to Spotify (rap & EDM music), and YouTube videos. So the production quality of the sounds isn't the greatest. I want something that won't cause listening fatigue.

I'm afraid of getting too good of speakers and hearing all the noise/distortion from poor-quality sources and making it unenjoyable to listen to. I'm already experiencing this with my Beyerdynamics DT1990 Pro's listening to low-quality sources.

What speakers would you recommend I get? Budget under $1,800. I was thinking about getting a pair of Genelec 8030C's but I'm afraid they will not sound good on the lower-quality sources I listen to. Another one on my research list is neumann kh 120a but im up to more suggestions.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If you don't need loud and I don't think you do, considering the pro media setup you had doesn't play terribly loud. I would consider the Genelec G1 with F1 sub instead of two 8030s. They will play a little lower but not as loud as the 8030. They have a tremendous sound stage for such small speakers.

I don't think you need to worry about that. You're using a compressed source. They will still give you good sound. They don't hide the bad and you may hear more detail with them but any would be fine with your sources.

beeface

I reckon you should go for good monitors like Genelec or Neumann and see what you think. If you're unhappy with the sound you could try adding EQ and adjust the sound to your liking.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if you had better speakers, you could likely just eq them to preference for certain playback.

OP
M

murkr

Even if you had better speakers, you could likely just eq them to preference for certain playback.
So I can EQ low-quality sources to sound better? Like sometimes with my headphones I get a crackling or distortion sound from YT videos that I wouldnt pick up on my Klipsh speakers (since they were lower quality)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I can EQ low-quality sources to sound better? Like sometimes with my headphones I get a crackling or distortion sound from YT videos that I wouldnt pick up on my Klipsh speakers (since they were lower quality)
You said warmer so often that just means a bit of turn down in the higher frequencies, easy enough to do if a computer is your source. More sounds like a connection issue with your headphones if you can't hear the same on the speakers (at relatively same volume to your ears). Then again some YT stuff is pretty bad or even a vinyl rip.

ps Generally with Klipsch I'd expect them to easily duplicate the crackling/distortion sounds if it's in the video.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm afraid of getting too good of speakers and hearing all the noise/distortion from poor-quality sources and making it unenjoyable to listen to.
I think this is a self-defeating goal. If your speakers are so bad that you can't hear what's wrong with garbage-tier Youtube videos, you're certainly missing a lot of wonderful stuff in the good recordings you listen to. Not that much stuff on YT can't be found elsewhere with a better encoding.

My advice is just to get the best speakers you can afford, EQ them if you need to, and just let bad recordings be bad.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I listen to Spotify (rap & EDM music), and YouTube videos. So the production quality of the sounds isn't the greatest. I want something that won't cause listening fatigue.

I'm afraid of getting too good of speakers and hearing all the noise/distortion ...
So you're asking for the worst speaker available at 1,8k$$ (pair?)

Youtube with a layman's use of cardioid mikes too close, too far away, using the minor 8 bits of an otherwise perfect mpeg-encoding, comprising the desk's reflection for better interference in an anyway reflective tiny room, fake sound from gun-cams in WW2 planes, and a pressing boom from refurbished marine turbines. Spotify with consistent dynamic compression +3dB with clipping right center. Let alone the parental advice to better not expose yourself to art.

Why not DIY? I think Danny has a genius kit that sports just a wideband driver and still delivers fully. It was tested here to a most unfavourable result, killing commercial offers by every margin, hence it may fit.

Excuse my sarcasm, please, no offense. But are you serious?

OP
M

murkr

So you're asking for the worst speaker available at 1,8k$$ (pair?)

Youtube with a layman's use of cardioid mikes too close, too far away, using the minor 8 bits of an otherwise perfect mpeg-encoding, comprising the desk's reflection for better interference in an anyway reflective tiny room, fake sound from gun-cams in WW2 planes, and a pressing boom from refurbished marine turbines. Spotify with consistent dynamic compression +3dB with clipping right center. Let alone the parental advice to better not expose yourself to art.

Why not DIY? I think Danny has a genius kit that sports just a wideband driver and still delivers fully. It was tested here to a most unfavourable result, killing commercial offers by every margin, hence it may fit.

Excuse my sarcasm, please, no offense. But are you serious?
lol hey man im just trying to find a good-sounding speaker where I can enjoy high-quality sources but also low-quality sources. It's my PC speakers... Most sources on here are low quality. I'd say 70% of what comes out of my speakers are going to be low-quality sources since I mostly watch youtube and listen to Spotify.

I think it may be best just to get some Klipsch ProMedia Heritage 2.1 speakers. I can find them for around $200.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
lol hey man im just trying to find a good-sounding speaker where I can enjoy high-quality sources but also low-quality sources. It's my PC speakers... Most sources on here are low quality. I'd say 70% of what comes out of my speakers are going to be low-quality sources since I mostly watch youtube and listen to Spotify.

I think it may be best just to get some Klipsch ProMedia Heritage 2.1 speakers. I can find them for around $200.
Spotify isn't particularly low quality, altho you do get a better bitstream if you buy premium service and get their app rather than play from a browser....

OP
M

murkr

Spotify isn't particularly low quality, altho you do get a better bitstream if you buy premium service and get their app rather than play from a browser....
Already do both of those. the type of music I listen to must not be produced the best. EDM & Rap. For example, I currently have some good quality headphones DT 1990 pro's. When listening to (Deadmau5 - Strobe) it sounds amazing. But like 50% of my discover weekly playlist songs don't sound anywhere near as good. Like I hear slight static on some songs. Like a loud noise floor or something

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Already do both of those. the type of music I listen to must not be produced the best. EDM & Rap. For example, I currently have some good quality headphones DT 1990 pro's. When listening to (Deadmau5 - Strobe) it sounds amazing. But like 50% of my discover weekly playlist songs don't sound anywhere near as good. Like I hear slight static on some songs. Like a loud noise floor or something
Not big into edm/rap, but have run across some done better than others. Quality of recording varies....

fineMen

Major Contributor
I can find them for around $200.
You said it would be o/k to spend 1800$.
Budget under $1,800.
And You said that the speakers should cover up the deficiencies with YT and SPTFY.
I'm afraid of getting too good of speakers and hearing all the noise/distortion from poor-quality sources and making it unenjoyable to listen to. I'm already experiencing this with my Beyerdynamics DT1990 Pro's listening to low-quality sources.
Music is EDM (electronic dance music?) and RAP.
But like 50% of my discover weekly playlist songs don't sound anywhere near as good.
From that playlist, do you find, occasionally, something worthwhile?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also listen to a ton of electronic and rap, I don't get crackling / noise most of the time. A lot of times EDM mixes aren't great, but they do tend to be clean-ish. EDM in particular should have virtually no noise floor unless you're listening to the worst bootlegs on the net. I think it's possible you have something else wrong with your signal chain (possibly sample rate mismatch with your DAC or something), it's unlikely that this is because of your headphones.

e.g. nothing in this list causes crackling for me and I'm listening on Focal Elex, so... if there was any I could hear it.

Last edited:

Linus

I just watched/listened the whole Radiohead In Rainbows - From the Basement video on YouTube today. All I can say, is that it sounded really really good on mine.
Not a fan of EDM, but I do listen to a lot of old school rap on Spotify, and I am really pleased with what I’m hearing.
You already have a really good DAC, if you have that kind of money to spend on a pair of speaker, I’d say go for it. You won’t regret it.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 just died and I would like to upgrade to something a little nicer.

I currently have an RME ADI-2 DAC that is connected into my PC (for headphone use). Since I have this DAC I am looking to get some computer desk (nearfield) speakers to plug into it.

I like a warmer sound. Though I'm more just trying to avoid buying audiophile speakers that are very bright and tinny. I listen to Spotify (rap & EDM music), and YouTube videos. So the production quality of the sounds isn't the greatest. I want something that won't cause listening fatigue.

What speakers would you recommend I get? Budget under $1,800. I was thinking about getting a pair of Genelec 8030C's but I'm afraid they will not sound good on the lower-quality sources I listen to. Another one on my research list is neumann kh 120a but im up to more suggestions.
First of all you do not need to suffer from low quality sources. Use Amazon Prime Music ----- excellent quality 16bit 44 and also 24 bit. You can use an Amazon Echo Link and have very high quality streaming. Quit suffering.

And, get some good speakers. That mean speakers that have flat frequency response and low THD / distortion. Warmth means poor audio quality with rolled off frequencies. Why would you want to tolerate that?

OP
M

murkr

Can someone just give me 2-3 options of nearfield speakers I can plug into my DAC.
What's important to me is when the volume is at 0 nothing is coming out of the speakers.
I was going to get the genelec 8030c but some people complain of a noise coming out of the speakers when volume is 0.

Maybe a pair of Neumann KH 120 or Edifier S2000MKIII?

secondary question. If I want bookshelf desk speakers to plug into my DAC does that always mean they will be studio monitors?

@kemmler3D All those songs sound good to me. I noticed I never installed RME drivers though so maybe that was the issue. I just installed them and did a firmware update. I have to listen for awhile but so far so good.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone just give me 2-3 options of nearfield speakers I can plug into my DAC.
What's important to me is when the volume is at 0 nothing is coming out of the speakers.
I was going to get the genelec 8030c but some people complain of a noise coming out of the speakers when volume is 0.

Maybe a pair of Neumann KH 120 or Edifier S2000MKIII?

secondary question. If I want bookshelf desk speakers to plug into my DAC does that always mean they will be studio monitors?

@kemmler3D All those songs sound good to me. I noticed I never installed RME drivers though so maybe that was the issue. I just installed them and did a firmware update. I have to listen for awhile but so far so good.
Studio monitors (ideally) are designed to not color the sound. They should have very low distortion and very flat frequency response. Neumann monitors do this. Look at the test reports here on ASR. They are quite impressive ---- and they are very very quiet in terms of residual noise.

I chose to purchase Neumann KH 310's, KH120's/KH750 and KH150's for my recording studio because of these factors. I listen at very nearfield postions and I cannot stand residual noise. Read the test measurements here. They tell the truth.

20230115_182339.jpg

OP
M

murkr

I notice all the studio monitors im looking at people use for recording studios. Im just trying to listen to music and youtube videos. Would I want to avoid studio monitors? what other options do i have besides studio monitors? what are they called? im just looking for active listening speakers that I can plug into my DAC.

Also, how do you like those for just listening to music and YT videos?

Top Bottom