• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for good sound quality Dac for my raspberry

Hydra

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've used the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro with good results, but if I were building another RPi player I'd try their new DAC2 HD.

OP
H

Hydra

Your existing DAC doesn't seem to measure too well so maybe an upgrade might be in order.

The HiFiBerry DAC+pro measures well.

Another one to consider would be the All Boss DAC.

Have you considered an external DAC, such as the Topping D10s. You're hitting SOTA measurements then.

Yes, the d10s gave a better result in measurements. So will I connect the d10s to raspberry from usb? will moodeaudio recognize it automatically? will i need to introduce it with any command? I have poor linux knowledge

Sukie

Forum Donor
Yes, the d10s gave a better result in measurements. So will I connect the d10s to raspberry from usb? will moodeaudio recognize it automatically? will i need to introduce it with any command? I have poor linux knowledge
Yes you can connect via USB

I take it that you're already using Moode. You'll need to reconfigure the audio settings.

AUDIO DEVICE SETUP
- USB DEVICE
a) Menu, Configure, Audio
b) Select "None" for I2S audio device then SET
c) Restart
d) Menu, Configure, Audio
e) EDIT MPD config
f) Set Volume control set to "Hardware" (or "Software" if you prefer).
g) Set Audio output to the name of the USB audio device
h) SAVE
i) Restart

That should switch you over to a USB DAC.

OP
H

Hydra

Yes you can connect via USB

I take it that you're already using Moode. You'll need to reconfigure the audio settings.

AUDIO DEVICE SETUP
- USB DEVICE
a) Menu, Configure, Audio
b) Select "None" for I2S audio device then SET
c) Restart
d) Menu, Configure, Audio
e) EDIT MPD config
f) Set Volume control set to "Hardware" (or "Software" if you prefer).
g) Set Audio output to the name of the USB audio device
h) SAVE
i) Restart

That should switch you over to a USB DAC.

Thanks for explanation ,

However, I wonder one thing, the d10s does not have an external power input and I have an IFI power 5v adapter, as I know the effect of this power supply on the sound, if I use Raspberry and Topping d10s, the d10s will get the power from the Raspberry pi, in this case 2.5A power. Will it be enough and will I be able to hear the effect of IFI power on the sound when I connect the d10s from usb?

Sukie

Forum Donor
Thanks for explanation ,

However, I wonder one thing, the d10s does not have an external power input and I have an IFI power 5v adapter, as I know the effect of this power supply on the sound, if I use Raspberry and Topping d10s, the d10s will get the power from the Raspberry pi, in this case 2.5A power. Will it be enough and will I be able to hear the effect of IFI power on the sound when I connect the d10s from usb?
I'm afraid I can't comment as I don't use (nor accept the need for) noise reducing power supplies.

For most members on this site "knowing the effect of the power supply on sound" would need to involve proof by measurements or controlled, double blind testing. Neither of which has been provided.

On a more positive (and purely subjective) note, my set up sounds fine.

OP
H

Hydra

I'm afraid I can't comment as I don't use (nor accept the need for) noise reducing power supplies.

For most members on this site "knowing the effect of the power supply on sound" would need to involve proof by measurements or controlled, double blind testing. Neither of which has been provided.

On a more positive (and purely subjective) note, my set up sounds fine.

I changed my mind and decided to buy the Topping E30 because it has an external 5v power input so I will feed raspberry with a standard power adapter and the E30 with IFI power.

ModDIY

With my PI3, I use the SMSL M200 dac. I owned a plug-in dac (2) from the same manufacturer as the ES9038q2m, but it was an AK4493, the sound was good but not at the same level as an external DAC with XMOS. This is due to better power, quality of parts, etc. Now I have the PI4.

technoian

I changed my mind and decided to buy the Topping E30 because it has an external 5v power input so I will feed raspberry with a standard power adapter and the E30 with IFI power.
Hard to find fault with the Topping E30 for the price. As this DAC is usually USB connected you will be best to use a PI4 or Allo USBridge as these models have the best USB implementations.

MRPR

I'm probably going to order one of the Aliexpress ES9038q2m boards in the next few days as we already have a Pi 3 and apparently the USB isn't great compared to a 4 (we do have a 4 as well, but that's acting as a server so needs the extra power/wifi etc.).

I'll provide feedback but it probably won't be for a month+ with china times and I can't do measurements etc.

*edit* We got a Topping E30 from Aliexpress instead ($100), but might get one of these in the future.

Last edited:

doug2761

Forum Donor
I'd lean towards an external dac too. I have a hifiberry dac 2 HD. I like it but to me it doesn't sound as good as my Chord Qutest. When I've mentioned this in other threads folks counter that modern dacs competently designed should sound the same or indistinguishably close. That was the case for me when I compare the built in dac in my McIntosh C48 to the Qutest but not the case when comparing the dac 2 on the pi. I haven't found an objective review on the dac 2 to help me learn why it may sound different to me or if I may just have unconscious bias going on.

I'm impressed with the dac 2 hd so don't take this as panning the performance. It's a tremendous value. It exceeded my expectations but not quite my hopes. I also really like being able to stack this on the pi and then on the pi display I use. I just find I prefer the Qutest over longer listening sessions. I'm wondering how the SMSL M300 or M500 would sound in my system. I think those would be worth a try and I would do that if I could try them before I bought.

Last edited:

doug2761

Forum Donor
I'd lean towards an external dac too. I have a hifiberry dac 2 HD. I like it but to me it doesn't sound as good as my Chord Qutest. When I've mentioned this in other threads folks counter that modern dacs competently designed should sound the same or indistinguishably close. That was the case for me when I compare the built in dac in my McIntosh C48 to the Qutest but not the case when comparing the dac 2 on the pi. I haven't found an objective review on the dac 2 to help me learn why it may sound different to me or if I may just have unconscious bias going on.

I'm impressed with the dac 2 hd so don't take this as panning the performance. It's a tremendous value. It exceeded my expectations but not quite my hopes. I also really like being able to stack this on the pi and then on the pi display I use. I just find I prefer the Qutest over longer listening sessions. I'm wondering how the SMSL M300 or M500 would sound in my system. I think those would be worth a try and I would do that if I could try them before I bought.
Replying to my own comment. I was doing comparisons between my Qutest and HFBerry DAC 2 HD and I need to revise what I said above. I don't think I could pick one or the other out in a double blind test. I would be, and am, happy with either. Testing was using either dac directly feeding the power amp. For amps I used either Hypex NC400 or McIntosh MC402. I was really trying to figure out my preference for the Hypex or the McIntosh. Those two might be too close to call as well. Good news is that if you want to build a world class audio system you can do that much cheaper with a raspi, DAC 2 HD, and Hypex Monoblocks. And if you want an outstanding dac for a raspi then the DAC 2 HD could be a great choice for you.

@Hydra - just assembled a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro XLR into their matching Steel Case running KODI. Primary use is source for a Schiit Magnius driving Sennheiser HD6XX phones with balanced cables. I have to say I’m very impressed so far even driving various amp / active and passive speaker combinations.

I considered an external DAC but wanted the simplicity of a single box plug-and-play solution.

Sukie

Forum Donor
@Hydra - just assembled a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro XLR into their matching Steel Case running KODI. Primary use is source for a Schiit Magnius driving Sennheiser HD6XX phones with balanced cables. I have to say I’m very impressed so far even driving various amp / active and passive speaker combinations.

I considered an external DAC but wanted the simplicity of a single box plug-and-play solution.
The HiFiBerry DAC+ is a good option. The measurable differences between it and, say, the Topping E30, will be outside of audible limits. In other words no SQ difference.

feket663

Hi! This is my first reply in this forum. I'm sorry for my bad english... Currently I have an RPI 4 with chinese ES9018K2M DAC with Volumio. I'm using this cheap DAC with 2 independent DIY Superreg supply on the digital side, and another 2 separate Superreg for OPA (+/- 12V).
119060394_3339563462776099_9022452132916314474_o.jpg
The sound quality is very good for me, only one problem exist: when I switch to DSD files, before starting of song I hear a loud clicking sound. I hate this, therefore I'd like buy a newer DAC. My budget is very tight, thus I search in chinese market. I found an ES9038Q2M DAC, looks similar like Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC, but much cheaper. I tried identify the parts, and I think it's equal or better than french challenger. (OPA1612 vs NJM2114 DAC, similar dc-dc converter, etc)

link

Maybe anyone tried this DAC? What is your opinion?

threni

Major Contributor
It seems several DACs click when changing between sources or even between bitrates on the same source. If there some really tricky problem which makes it impossible to just mute/fade down and then up the audio during the handling of any action which might cause a pop? Sounds so simple, doesn't it?

feket663

It seems several DACs click when changing between sources or even between bitrates on the same source. If there some really tricky problem which makes it impossible to just mute/fade down and then up the audio during the handling of any action which might cause a pop? Sounds so simple, doesn't it?

Yes, it simple, but currently I haven't got remote volume controller. I ordered the DAC, what I linked. I hope will arrive shortly...

threni

Major Contributor
Yes, it simple, but currently I haven't got remote volume controller. I ordered the DAC, what I linked. I hope will arrive shortly...

No, I wasn't suggesting you do it! It should be part of the firmware. If you're using a DAC connected to computers and TVs and the like, a pop as each channel/track changes would get old pretty quick. I have the E30 but as I only listen to 44.1kHz flac files it's not an issue for me, but it may well be for others.

doug2761

Forum Donor
One could also up sample everything to the max rate supported by the dac to make sure that there are no sample rate changes.

Top Bottom