• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for floorstands/towers to accompany my system

guy soundy

I was thinking of getting better speakers that can make more use of my audio system, as it is now, my system can take 4-8 ohm and is rated at 140 Watt at 8 ohm, prefereably I'm looking for a mid to big floorstand with big 3 way (or 4) drivers. hightness doesn't matter but lenght and width are 35 cm and 40 cm, my budget is max 800 Euro.

New or used? With respect to budget.
I had (and still have) a similar situation. Floorstanders are usually a bit more expensive for almost comparable performance to standmount.
Many like the JBJ Studio 570-580 or Stage 190; not me Don't touch Fyne Audio (e.g. f303). Dali Oberon 5 is a model that sells A LOT here in Europe for under 1,000. Full body sound, but extremely forward and sometimes harsh at top end. Too much for me.

Suggestions to look into within ±this budget (many had heard, not all though):
Infinity 253/263 might be a good option, but mostly in US.
Triangle Borea B09
Polk R500
Heco Aurora 700
Maybe Klipsch, if you like horn-ish sound (i.e. RP280)
ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 (or 5.2) / ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52
Wharfedale Diamond 12.3
Q Acoustics 3050i
SVS Prime Tower

OP
G

guy soundy

>New or used? With respect to budget.
Bit hard too say new mostly, used if the you see the kind of speakers sell usually for the same amount, mostly looking for a balanced sound where everything is very clear, I agree about the top not being too harsh, but I do want it to be clear.

OP
G

guy soundy

I had (and still have) a similar situation. Floorstanders are usually a bit more expensive for almost comparable performance to standmount.
Many like the JBJ Studio 570-580 or Stage 190; not me Don't touch Fyne Audio (e.g. f303). Dali Oberon 5 is a model that sells A LOT here in Europe for under 1,000. Full body sound, but extremely forward and sometimes harsh at top end. Too much for me.

Triangle Borea B09
Polk R500
Heco Aurora 700
Wharfedale Diamond 12.3
Q Acoustics 3050i
SVS Prime Tower
A few of them look prominsing, just wondering for the Klipsch but how do horns sound compared to regular domes?

OP
G

guy soundy

Triangle Borea B09
Polk R500
Heco Aurora 700
Wharfedale Diamond 12.3
Q Acoustics 3050i
SVS Prime Tower
Is it really ok to use speakers that need more Watt than the system can output? I mean sure 150 over 140 would be just 10 more Watts, but...

OP
G

guy soundy

I saw someone selling a Klipsch rp 8000f (2 of them) for about 1050 euro. I know it's a bit above what I stated but is this a good deal? Are these a lot better?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch have a sound that you may or not like. Best to listen to them if you can.

OP
G

guy soundy

Klipsch have a sound that you may or not like. Best to listen to them if you can.
Wish I could but there's not a single store near me that seems to have them, I do kind of wonder how those horns sound.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wish I could but there's not a single store near me that seems to have them, I do kind of wonder how those horns sound.
I think you were given some good choices in the previous post. If I were you I’d be looking at brands made in the EU. Tons of great stuff there.

OP
G

guy soundy

I think you were given some good choices in the previous post. If I were you I’d be looking at brands made in the EU. Tons of great stuff there.
Yes but I meant withing a reasonable traveling distance so to test them.

OP
G

guy soundy

I found someone selling 2 Klipsch rp 8000f for about 950 euro, is this a good deal? And are these towers okay for my room size? (my room is is 4 meter wide and 2,9 meter long, height is 2,4 meter)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found someone selling 2 Klipsch rp 8000f for about 950 euro, is this a good deal? And are these towers okay for my room size? (my room is is 4 meter wide and 2,9 meter long, height is 2,4 meter)
I have to repeat, "Klipsch" have a a distinct sound. They would not be in my top 5 to purchase. That said lot's of folks love them. What about Focal, Totem, KEF (my second choice). You might be able to find a used pair of Genelec 8030/8040's in that price range. Then you don't need to buy amps but they are not floor standers.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it really ok to use speakers that need more Watt than the system can output? I mean sure 150 over 140 would be just 10 more Watts, but...
Speaker power ratings are how much they can take, not what they need. It’s kind of wise to have a speaker that can handle more than your amp can provide.

chips666

Yes but I meant withing a reasonable traveling distance so to test them.
Hello
I dont know your location
I have a pair RP-8000F you can audition
Belgium Antwerp
;)

OP
G

guy soundy

Lets just forget floorstands, I'm mostly thinking of getting on one of these 3 Whardales: Evo 4.2, Linton Heritage or the Elysian 2.

Hello
I dont know your location
I have a pair RP-8000F you can audition
Belgium Antwerp
;)
Sorry but still too far for me (don't even have a car)

delta76

Major Contributor
assuming you are in Europe, why not Focal Aria 906? easily fit into your budget and sounds great

OP
G

guy soundy

assuming you are in Europe, why not Focal Aria 906? easily fit into your budget and sounds great
I really like 3 way speakers, I'd rather have more balanced sound that also gives a lot of detail.

Top Bottom