• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

looking for EQ HE60 sennheiser

19lexicon78

hi,

i read this site since 1.5 years.
my main is hd800s, gustard x16, topping a90. also hd58x, grado rs1. headphones enthusiast for 20 years.
but these last days switching back to my old he60 setup. i had it repaired by sennheiser itself 3 years ago. compared with hd800s, it has more treble and less bass, but it's far more fun to listen. more air in it's sound, detail mids and gives an umpff in the music.

my question, i can't find eq of he60. does somebody know it's eq?

oja, is there a new amp for he60. i think this headphones can be alot better sounding, the hev70 is not a great sounding amp. especially using an xlr amp will be a huge improvement, more power.

greets,
stan

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
hi,

i read this site since 1.5 years.
my main is hd800s, gustard x16, topping a90. also hd58x, grado rs1. headphones enthusiast for 20 years.
but these last days switching back to my old he60 setup. i had it repaired by sennheiser itself 3 years ago. compared with hd800s, it has more treble and less bass, but it's far more fun to listen. more air in it's sound, detail mids and gives an umpff in the music.

my question, i can't find eq of he60. does somebody know it's eq?

oja, is there a new amp for he60. i think this headphones can be alot better sounding, the hev70 is not a great sounding amp. especially using an xlr amp will be a huge improvement, more power.

greets,
stan
Welcome Aboard @19lexicon78.

Ata

Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Ata

Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That would be more helpful :D
But only as a rough guide.
I would never EQ 'exact' but only try to play with some lower bass boost and perhaps around 6kHz.
No way to tell if the used measurement is 'correct'.
A narrow 6kHz peak of +8dB would result in 'sharpness' so would try to EQ that.
The measurements are based on the HMS though.

Ultrabike (SBAF) also measured these headphones (flatbed, no pinna) and did not measure the 6kHz peak.
index.php

he did measure 10kHz peak (so did Tyll) so maybe worth EQ'ing there too. Don't overdo it.. some of the Stax magic may be right there at 10kHz (like HD800)

So YMMV

Last edited:
OP

19lexicon78

thank you. i will test those.
i see, it's adding alot of bass and the highs need less.

yes, the high khz gives perhaps it's fastness in sound.

Ata

Forum Donor
thank you. i will test those.
i see, it's adding alot of bass and the highs need less.

yes, the high khz gives perhaps it's fastness in sound.

This is typical of the electrostat headphones, my Stax SR-L300 has very similar FR before EQ:

graph (1).png

and HE-1 (could not find HE-60 on Crinacle's site):

graph.png

Note HE-1 has better bass, similar to the high-end Stax headphones.

OP

19lexicon78

the he1 is almost flat.
do you also have the graph of the he90? i know the sound of this one and therefore the difference between the he60.
how did you EQ your stax? which eq/sound do you prefer?

Ata

Forum Donor
OP

19lexicon78

thanks,
i see, it's better in the mids.
to me, the he90 is a more detailed headphones. presentation is perfect. it's only lacking bass.
also, perhaps now i know why people prefer the he90 more than the he1. the mids are better. it follows the harman curve.

Last edited:
OP

19lexicon78

EQ-ed the he60. it changes the sound. it's far more smooth. the highs are less and has a bit of bass which is needed, still it could be more. i think sennheiser had the ultimate headphones in the 90's hd600/he60/90. it's time for a topping a90 electrostat amp. need an amp to drive the he60 to a next level, i miss air in it's sound. it's a bit muddy with the hev70. needs air which the hd800s has. i think an xlr amp gives the air/breathing/punch it needs.

OP

19lexicon78

funny
the he60 is far superior compared to hd 800s. it's mids and highs are next level. only bass and space are less. hadn't expected, a 90's headphones is 1-2 level above hd800s. he90 is 1-2 level above he60.
the hd800s is good, the he60 is a smile. the he90 is a sigh. perhaps i like the fastness and detail of a electrostat, perhaps the he60's follows the harman curve more. he60 compared to a hd58x, well, it's 4 levels above. the hd58x is a very good start headphones, but there is sooo much more.

Top Bottom