• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for desktop speakers with warm, non fatiguing sound

Collin

I have the Denton 85s in my living room and in my opinion they would be waaaay to big for desktop use.

can recommend the genelec 8020s. best money i've spent in this whole audiophile black hole.
I have the same dilemma - choosing a pair of speakers just for audiophile pleasure in living room (mid field listening):
- Denton 85s ?... I've heard they are sensible for distortions if the listening angle is not "perfect" aligned. But their lows are great, so there is no need of additional subwoofer.
- Kali LP-6v2 ?... more flexible in positioning and forgiving in listening angle, but you need to add a sub later, for occasionally full audio experience.
- too expensive: Genelec 8020/8030/Neumann 80 or 120... but they might end any doubts in long term, but they also might need a sub for full audio experience.

You have them both (Denton and Genelec) !... what would you choose?

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had the KRK G4 5 and the Genlec 8030C. I kept the Genlecs and I use them currently. I don't think I'll be changing speakers again. I don't have subs with them. I find the bass response more than adequate, but no, you don't get the belly thump that powerful large drivers or good subs can give you.
I found neither tiring or harsh/bright. I've heard the KH80 and the ones I listened to hissed and sounded too forward for me.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dynaudio BM5 MKIII you will thank me later hehe, they are 3D sounding and they go really low for the size and no harshness at all cheers

Total opposite of my experience and goes against the data out there on the speaker. I had those for one day before I contacted sweetwater for a return, nothing about them is warm or easy to listen to. In fact, they have an elevated upper mid range and are overall on the bright side of things. There is a comparison video of them vs. the HS8 and it's clear how bright the Dynaudios are.

Ended up being tired of the all bs and ordered 8030c instead.

I bought some Kali LP6 v2 recently and I find them to be very easy to listen to, I honestly find them to sound more balanced than the 8030c. The LP6 definitely sound "warmer" than any other speaker I've had. Gotta say I like them a lot and can't believe they cost so little.

Top Bottom