• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for DAC/AMP combo for Bookshelf Speakers

Kryllis

I have these speakers https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Q150-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B071P6KQZX/

Budget: Around $400 (amazon only due to credit)

I'm wanting to get a dac & amp, or a combo, for these speakers. It would be nice to be able to use the dac for headphones in the future as well.

I've seen the Topping D50 recommended on here, so I plan on using this combined with whatever amp you recommend, but feel free to recommend another.

At first, I planned on going with either the SMSL AD18 or the Topping MX3 but I feel like I need better for these speakers. Thanks for your help :D

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
Kryllis

Kryllis

Those speakers are not very sensitive. You'll need more power than you think. Get a used Parasound zamp:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-...304542?hash=item469834bfde:g:uMwAAOSwLW9dEb5M

I've been running a couple of these for years without any hiccups. They need to breathe, however.

I love the Topping D50, BTW. I'm not just a customer -- I'm a dealer!

By breathe do you mean airflow? Also not a big fan of the rackmount, but I guess you may be right about the power output.

If I'm going to be buying used, could you give me multiple different options? I like to compare and whatnot. I have $200 of credit on amazon, but I guess I'll use that on the DAC!

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Sorry, yes, airflow. I don't know of any other amp quite like that little parasound, which isn't to say there isn't one; I resorted to it based on brand reputation and its diminutive size. I've bought them both new, as a dealer, and used on ebay when I found great deals (I just got one for one of my kids a few months ago).

I run the little topping D50 directly into a zamp, and I control the volume from an ipad which talks to an airport express which is plugged into the D50 digital input. It's an elegant solution, with the zamp tucked away and feeding a pair of speakers in a bookcase. it's cheaper than a combo dac/streamer setup or a KEF LS50 by a long shot!

OP
Kryllis

Kryllis

Alright, sounds good then. I've never bought used audio equipment, is it a good market, any test I should run to make sure it's proper? I'm new to all of this, so I won't know I'm getting scammed haha. In the used computer market, you gotta look out for rip offs of graphics cards and stuff :(

Also these ebay listenings aren't very clear on Zamp v2 vs v3

Willem

Major Contributor
Yamaha as 501 would be my choice. It measures exceptionally well, has optical and coaxial digital inputs, and delivers just short of 100 watts rms at 8 ohm per channel. Here in the Netherlands it costs some 340 euro, tax included.

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Alright, sounds good then. I've never bought used audio equipment, is it a good market, any test I should run to make sure it's proper? I'm new to all of this, so I won't know I'm getting scammed haha. In the used computer market, you gotta look out for rip offs of graphics cards and stuff :(

Also these ebay listenings aren't very clear on Zamp v2 vs v3
apart from vetting the seller carefully and seeing a very clean picture of the amp, these amps are sufficiently esoteric and inexpensive that i cannot see why someone would bother scamming.

OP
Kryllis

Kryllis

If you want something high performing, that you could comfortably hang onto for a while, I'd suggest this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/

If the Yamaha is beyond your budget, then this should suffice instead:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-klipsch-powergate-dac-amp.7376/

All the best... :cool:
Yamaha as 501 would be my choice. It measures exceptionally well, has optical and coaxial digital inputs, and delivers just short of 100 watts rms at 8 ohm per channel. Here in the Netherlands it costs some 340 euro, tax included.
How does the Yamaha as 501 compare to the Parasound Zamp? To buy a used Yamaha as 501, it would cost over twice as much as the zamp.

OP
Kryllis

Kryllis

Those speakers are not very sensitive. You'll need more power than you think. Get a used Parasound zamp:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-...304542?hash=item469834bfde:g:uMwAAOSwLW9dEb5M

I've been running a couple of these for years without any hiccups. They need to breathe, however.

I love the Topping D50, BTW. I'm not just a customer -- I'm a dealer!
After some more research into the Topping D50, I think I'm going to go with the Topping D30. Do you have any judgement against that, or is it still a solid buy? I read stories of people switching from the D50 to the D30, and didn't notice, but I don't trust amazon reviews too much :p

suttondesign

Forum Donor
If you can wait until August, I can get you into a D50 that sits on a shelf and only gets used occasionally. I'm ordering some stock on the new D50S and so can sell off my 5-month-old D50. Up to you.

OP
Kryllis

Kryllis

If you can wait until August, I can get you into a D50 that sits on a shelf and only gets used occasionally. I'm ordering some stock on the new D50S and so can sell off my 5-month-old D50. Up to you.
I appreciate the offer, but I'd prefer to get the dac atleast off of amazon, due to my credit on there. I will think on it though, as I don't get the speakers from bestbuy until August 2nd.

DualTriode

Hello All,

I have been using the Zamp v.3 on my desktop for 3 or 4 years with a small pair of KEF speakers plus a small powered sub-woofer under the desk.

The Zamp v.3 is highly recommended.

Thanks DT

murl

I have a parasound amp that I likely won't need any longer but it is in storage. Should have it by mid December but don't know what your time frame is. Could probably give you a great deal on it. My plan was to put everything on ebay at some point when I get around to it.

Top Bottom