• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for cheap, well-engineered streamer-DAC-preamp recommendations for XLR-input active monitors

Torben

I intend to switch my current passives out for active monitors. I'd also like my rest of the digital setup to keep up with the progress (not in sound, but in amenities). I have a pretty clear idea of what I'm looking for: a wi-fi streamer (capable of handling common services like Spotify and possible Tidal + Roon/Qobuz) with DAC and XLR pre-outs for volume control of the active monitors. Allo's Katana seems like a no brainer, but I'd strongly prefer XLR-outs and they don't come with XLR outs out-of-the-box (if I'm forced to go XLR with active monitors, I'd much rather the whole chain be XLR). I'd also highly prefer room correction ability and a half-width size. An one-box option if possible would be nice too, that doesn't need a wired connection to a PC.

The product that I've found to come closest to my requirements is this streamer from Abacus in Germany. It has XLR pre-outs, and has what seems like a very nice implementation of Acourate that's specifically designed by the creator for them. The half-width size and remote control is also nice, as is the ability to just hook the UMIK-1 straight to the RPi. My issue is that when UMIK-1 and Acourate is bundled in it costs nearly 1000 euro before VAT deduction (I live in South-East Asia). The DAC board also has never been measured too. And I'm very skeptical about paying this much for a RPi implementation.

The Lindemann Limetree Network also looks nice, has DSD support, is compact, but only has fixed RCA line-outs. If it were at least an XLR line-out I would have considered going with it and adding an XLR line preamp like the SPL Volume2. The UX is something I want - playback selection through iPad (I have a spare one lying at home), fuss free. Also not that cheap - especially since it looks like another RPi box - and hasn't really been measured independently. No native room correction function as far as I can see. This is short of XLR output and native room-correction ability. Closed-source app is another concern (software support in the long term).

The MiniDSP SHD is another option obviously, it has Dirac and the 4 outputs allow me flexibility to add a dual-sub setup in the far future. It has also been measured by Amir. However, it is more than I want to pay (my budget is roughly $800), is full-width and I'm not too sure how to fit it into my setup - both literally in size and whether it suits my application. Also not too sure about the integration with Spotify and Tidal/Qobuz - could someone enlighten me on the situation?

Essentially I want a box that can handle:

- wired input from a music server/NAS (optional because I don't see myself taking this option in the near future)
- streaming by wi-fi for Spotify and possibly Tidal + Roon/Qobuz
- at least XLR line-out, if not pre-out
- half-width form factor
- roughly $800 or much cheaper is fine too without compromised engineering
- built-in room correction ability without needing a PC to be connected
- has a good iPad interface - Android too preferably
- physical remote control preferably - especially for the volume knob
- wayyyy down the list is ability to handle DSD - just because the likes of Topping and SMSL can handle it trivially.

Or should I just get a good XLR pre-out DAC with optical and then hook a Chromecast Audio's optical output to it?
Did you ever find a good solution to this?

I am in a somewhat similar situation although I have the very nice Topping EX5 pre-amp (warmly recommended by Amir) wired through my Hypex amp to drive my Contour 20 speakers (which are awesome BTW).

The Topping is good, but it is also limited - so I'll either replace it with something that has streaming onboard or find a streamer that is as good in terms of audio fidelity - and does not cost a fortune. It has to be proportional in that the Topping and the Hypex are in the same price bracket and I'm perfectly happy with the sound that comes out of my cans.

But finding a hi-Q streaming thingy (Bluesound and Sonos are both crap) or an integrated pre-amp / DAC that does not cost a fortune is not easy.

I have been tinkering with Pi4 / Volumio for over a year and let's just say it's just not there and that I don't want to spend any more time on it - my time will be used to listen and not rebooting and fighting the reverse engineered Spotify implementation (which is crap) :)

Currently thinking about NAD C658 or Cambridge Audio CXN V2 - but I must admit that I have a hard time shelling out some 1200-1400 euro / USD for it.
Tech moves fast and these products will deprecate in a few years - been there, done that, got the t-shirt, want a smarter solution where I can just replace the "smart" component with something even smarter and keep the rest which still - more or less- produce the same sound as the day they were bought.

I just need a high quality streamer with the right software features, that will produce a clean, jitterfree signal for the Topping - or an integrated streaming pre-amp / DAC.

So what did you go with?

What is that product?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You should take a look at Matrix's offerings if the price bracket of the Cambridge and NAD is being considered.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you ever find a good solution to this?

I am in a somewhat similar situation although I have the very nice Topping EX5 pre-amp (warmly recommended by Amir) wired through my Hypex amp to drive my Contour 20 speakers (which are awesome BTW).

The Topping is good, but it is also limited - so I'll either replace it with something that has streaming onboard or find a streamer that is as good in terms of audio fidelity - and does not cost a fortune. It has to be proportional in that the Topping and the Hypex are in the same price bracket and I'm perfectly happy with the sound that comes out of my cans.

But finding a hi-Q streaming thingy (Bluesound and Sonos are both crap) or an integrated pre-amp / DAC that does not cost a fortune is not easy.

I have been tinkering with Pi4 / Volumio for over a year and let's just say it's just not there and that I don't want to spend any more time on it - my time will be used to listen and not rebooting and fighting the reverse engineered Spotify implementation (which is crap) :)

Currently thinking about NAD C658 or Cambridge Audio CXN V2 - but I must admit that I have a hard time shelling out some 1200-1400 euro / USD for it.
Tech moves fast and these products will deprecate in a few years - been there, done that, got the t-shirt, want a smarter solution where I can just replace the "smart" component with something even smarter and keep the rest which still - more or less- produce the same sound as the day they were bought.

I just need a high quality streamer with the right software features, that will produce a clean, jitterfree signal for the Topping - or an integrated streaming pre-amp / DAC.

So what did you go with?

What is that product?

The only product that could tick all the boxes except room correction was the Matrix Mini-i 3/3 Pro or a miniDSP SHD if room correction is needed. I decided to go with headphones because EQ'd Audezes image well enough with most recordings for me and I can listen late night.

Torben

You should take a look at Matrix's offerings if the price bracket of the Cambridge and NAD is being considered.
Thanks - but as I said, I'm not willing to spend a fortune on it.

I see the Element X at some 2800 euro / USD which is just insane for my normal everyday listening :) The topping is at 400 and I just will not 7x that just to get streaming and audio superiority that I either can't hear anyway or don't care that much about :cool:

Very nice piece of engineering though, which I fully appreciate, and I've skimmed through Amir's review here

Are there any streamers out there that will has all the bells and whistles in terms of software features and that produce a jitter free signal (coax or toslink)?

If so I'd be happy to just keep the Topping / Hypex combo.

If not, I'm inclined to replace the Topping with the Cambridge Audio CXN v2 (which is less than half the price of the Element X and a more palpable upgrade - at least to me, but still think it's way too much just to get hi-Q streaming functionality into my chain ;-)).

Torben

The only product that could tick all the boxes except room correction was the Matrix Mini-i 3/3 Pro or a miniDSP SHD if room correction is needed. I decided to go with headphones because EQ'd Audezes image well enough with most recordings for me and I can listen late night.
Thanks.

Looks nice, but somewhat limited on the software side.

Currently on Spotify which it does not have. Still has the best UI - althought it hasn't evolved in years.
Don't want to tinker with and have no use for Roon.
No Amazon Music support.
Don't like MQA.
So think I'll be pushed into the arms of Apple to get lossless (which the crap Swedish company has also promised to do back in 2020 but does not seem to fulfill their promise).

All in all - nice tin, too limited for me.

Actually the WIIM Mini - which is just too cheap to qualify as more than a door stopper, more or less fits the bill on the software side. Might give it a go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom