• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for: Cheap compact DAC with remote

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know of a DAC under $200 with a remote control for volume? It needs to be <= 7" width. The Pro-Ject and Yamaha units are well above this budget. I can't find anything suitable after an extensive search online.

I don't need too many features - optical input (HDMI @1080p is fine, but I don't expect to find any compact unit that does this), remote control for volume and RCA outputs. I tried to look for a separates solution but no luck there either. This is for the den TV which has an amp and a pair of speakers. Having a remote is key.

Thanks!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Anyone know of a DAC under $200 with a remote control for volume? It needs to be <= 7" width. The Pro-Ject and Yamaha units are well above this budget. I can't find anything suitable after an extensive search online.

I don't need too many features - optical input (HDMI @1080p is fine, but I don't expect to find any compact unit that does this), remote control for volume and RCA outputs. I tried to look for a separates solution but no luck there either. This is for the den TV which has an amp and a pair of speakers. Having a remote is key.

Thanks!

Here is one. The description says it has a remote control function chip. Check with the seller that a remote control is provided.
Search USA Ebay fot this model and you will find that it matches your $US200 budget.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xiangsh...497567?hash=item4404189b1f:g:MNsAAOSw4GVYIhM1

Wombat

Master Contributor
Xiangsheng have other products that look similar. Look for the preamp one.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
I got the Sabaj D4 yesterday. The screen is really small for sitting far away and the unit lets you cycle between inputs, not just select one outright. But there is practically nothing else that exists in this price range.

I’m using it with JBL LSR305 at my TV. DAC sounds fine, no issues in short term usage. Headphone amp isn’t as resolving as the Da3 but it does power my HD 580 quite fine.

RTI

I got the Sabaj D4 yesterday. The screen is really small for sitting far away and the unit lets you cycle between inputs, not just select one outright. But there is practically nothing else that exists in this price range.

I’m using it with JBL LSR305 at my TV. DAC sounds fine, no issues in short term usage. Headphone amp isn’t as resolving as the Da3 but it does power my HD 580 quite fine.

Was looking for the same DAC, not too many devices offer such functionality in this price-range. Their (Sabaj) other devices got pretty good reviews, the portable DACs DA3 is pretty much the same as SMSL. Can you control the line-out volume with the remote control?

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Was looking for the same DAC, not too many devices offer such functionality in this price-range. Their (Sabaj) other devices got pretty good reviews, the portable DACs DA3 is pretty much the same as SMSL. Can you control the line-out volume with the remote control?

Yes, the D4's line output is variable, and you can use the remote to switch between headphones and line output. This is a lot better than other devices where plugging in headphones mutes the line output, so you can leave your preferred headphones always plugged in, and there's no risk of a device becoming non-functional if something messes up and thinks headphones are always plugged in.

And the Sabaj Da2 is literally the same as the SMSL IDEA. I don't know what's going on with the two companies, some of Sabaj's line are clones of SMSL products, but there was clearly a divergence point, with the Da3 not having an equal until SMSL released the IQ, which differs by having a battery and a volume dial. The Da3 is spectacular, though: it's dead silent with my ATH-IM02 with no volume imbalance with the 38-step digital volume control. The balanced output drives my HD 580 well, but I haven't noticed much of a subjective difference between the balanced and single-ended outputs otherwise. Subjectively it has that Sabre 9018 sound but some of the filters can help with that. It might be the best $100 DAC/amp you can buy.

Reactions: RTI

pattox

I want to use an external powered speaker with my Samsung TV. Many TVs allow you to use the TV remote to control the volume of the audio output jack when using an external speaker. My Samsung, and as far as I know, all Samsung TVs have a fixed volume output level - no volume control with the remote. Wouldn't have bought a Samsung if I'd known!

I'm now wondering whether a Topping Mx3, which has a remote, would be an effective solution. The Samsung has both aux and toslink outputs.

pattox

I want to use an external powered speaker with my Samsung TV. Many TVs allow you to use the TV remote to control the volume of the audio output jack when using an external speaker. My Samsung, and as far as I know, all Samsung TVs have a fixed volume output level - no volume control with the remote. Wouldn't have bought a Samsung if I'd known!

I'm now wondering whether a Topping Mx3, which has a remote, would be an effective solution. The Samsung has both aux and toslink outputs.
I think I can now answer my own question. From what I find, using an mx3 to drive active speakers does not work well-hiss, interference etc-unless the output volume of the mx3 is set to a fixed line level output ie to act as a preamp. But then you can’t use the mx3 to vary the output level. So, not a solution for me.

Top Bottom