• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for cheap active speakers with user programmable DSP

wus

I like to hear music while cooking. I have a Yamaha Pianocraft receiver in the kitchen. With the small (passive) speakers placed in the room corners, I could help their weak bass reproduction a bit. Until a while ago, I was satisfied with the sound that they create.

However, "a while ago" I bought a pair of JBL LSR 305P MkII for my computer. I precisely adjusted them to my listening position in front of the computer using REW and EQ APO, as described here (if you speak German :) - but diagrams and pictures speak for themselves). Since I did that, the shortcomings of the speakers in the kitchen are becoming more and more audible to me.

In the kitchen I don't have a computer, so in order to EQ out the speaker's and the room's sound colorations I'd like to have active speakers with built-in DSPs that are freely programmable. On hand of the JBLs I learned that rooms can require quite drastic EQing, as can be seen in the red-and-white diagram in my link.

I already searched the internet for this, but don't know how I should tell Google or other search engines the "built-in freely programmable DSP" requirements. The only one I found is the Neumann KH80 DSP which fits my requirement perfectly - also because its ports are front-firing -, but it is too expensive for me.

Is anyone of you in here aware of such speakers?

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Looks like its only a geq but maybe it fits your needs? Maybe not?

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Won't an issue be that you move around the kitchen a lot, rather than just wanting to optimise sound for a small sweet-spot?

OP
W

wus

The Rokit 5 does it - almost :eek:
GEQ indeed won't do what I want
Unfortunately it is also a bit too tall to fit into my kitchen shelf

@Ultrasonic - I will make several measurements at my typical listening positions in the kitchen, probably will also try a couple slightly different speaker positions and / or orientations, then see if I can find a compromise EQ curve. Alternative would be to optimise the EQ for just one listening position and live with this limitation.

@headshake: I don't want additional devices in the kitchen. Space there is quite limited.

MCH

Major Contributor
@headshake: I don't want additional devices in the kitchen. Space there is quite limited.
Raspberry pi zero w + miniboss costs <50eur and is half the size of a cigarette box (even less I think), you could even glue it to the back of the speaker. It gives you a streamer and PEQ and camilla dsp for free with moodeaudio for instance. You would have one more cable for the power though.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Diva kitchen speakers.

Specs:
5*5*5 inch
Full 8 channel peq.
30-20 khz - 0.5 db
119 dB max. 1m thd < 1%
99 US$

;)

Top Bottom