• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an interface that can send separate signals to 2 monitors and 1 sub.

1niltothe

Hi,

I have 2x Neumann KH310 and an XLS200 Subwoofer. It's a small music studio.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use Audiolense XO. Or just have some control over the separate signals.

If money was no object I'd get a Lynx HILO.

Is there any lower cost option for just a 2.1 output? I don't really need a lot of inputs or ADC capability.

:)

Mikey

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

I have 2x Neumann KH310 and an XLS200 Subwoofer. It's a small music studio.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use Audiolense XO. Or just have some control over the separate signals.

If money was no object I'd get a Lynx HILO.

Is there any lower cost option for just a 2.1 output? I don't really need a lot of inputs or ADC capability.

:)

Mikey

RME interfaces might also be an option - RME TotalMix allows you to flexibly route and mix audio to any combinations of output and even apply 3-band EQ to individual outputs (on most, but not all interfaces).

E.g. RME Babyface Pro FS has 4 analogue output channels (though only 2 are XLR, the other two are unbalanced and traverse the built-in headphone amp) and 8 digital (via ADAT).

miniDSP Flex has much more powerful DSP capabilities and the output connectors may be more suitable for your purpose - but it may be worth double-checking what is the processing+DAC latency in case you will do tracking in this setup and total system latency is relevant to you.
On RME interfaces DSP processing and DAC latency is typically very low (and documented in detail in their manuals).

OP
1niltothe

1niltothe

Thank you both.

I went ahead and ordered the MiniDSP Flex. I think on close inspection it may not be compatible with Audiolense XO, as the available taps are 4096. Audiolense seems to need an upper region around 65,000.

I can't find a reference online for whether the RME Babyface would be more compatible.

It could be that to really use Audiolense I'd just need to invest in a Lynx Hilo or ADI-2 Pro, that the c. $500 interface options are not really going to cut it.

Am I mistaken?

All the best,

Mikey

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually, I don't believe RME interfaces have the capability to load externally calculated FIR filters at all.

One thing: if you plan on using Audiolense due to its time-alignment/phase correction capability, note that time-alignment/phase correction will in many cases cause additional latency to your monitoring chain - which can be a problem if you plan to use the system for real-time monitoring while tracking.
You can avoid the latency by doing basic magnitude corrections only - in which case IIR filters (such as the PEQ in miniDSP Flex and RME units) are probably all you really need.
Personally I'm skeptical of the utility of time-alignment/phase correction in most systems (and I don't seem to be alone, see this article for a nice reference on the topic).

Good luck! :)

OP
1niltothe

1niltothe

Actually, I don't believe RME interfaces have the capability to load externally calculated FIR filters at all.

One thing: if you plan on using Audiolense due to its time-alignment/phase correction capability, note that time-alignment/phase correction will in many cases cause additional latency to your monitoring chain - which can be a problem if you plan to use the system for real-time monitoring while tracking.
You can avoid the latency by doing basic magnitude corrections only - in which case IIR filters (such as the PEQ in miniDSP Flex and RME units) are probably all you really need.
Personally I'm skeptical of the utility of time-alignment/phase correction in most systems (and I don't seem to be alone, see this article for a nice reference on the topic).

Good luck! :)
Thanks man.

I'm sitting in here now having tinkered with MiniDSP Flex timing settings between 2 monitors and the sub. Man it just sounds so great, holographic. That's without even using REW yet to do it properly, just heuristic. Oof.

It's true that after a while, latency would get in the way of creative work. It could be that this is all I need at this point.

Top Bottom