• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an IEM that benefits from amping

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When you do upgrade headphones don't buy the arya. Only the Ananda is great. Possibly he6s but I haven't heard it yet.
Wut? Arya is loved by many, it may not be your type, but it is safe to say it is pretty good.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Wut? Arya is loved by many, it may not be your type, but it is safe to say it is pretty good.
Maybe unit deviation but the one I auditioned has a peak at 14khz. Most people would only consider that as more air or more extension. Ananda doesn't have that issue at all.

blse59

Filters on Etys definitely don't need to be replaced every few months. They can last a year or years. The stock size S tri-flange works perfectly for me. The ER4SR is the best I've ever heard. You need 2-3 weeks for your brain to adjust because most people are used to boosted bass.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Filters on Etys definitely don't need to be replaced every few months. They can last a year or years. The stock size S tri-flange works perfectly for me. The ER4SR is the best I've ever heard. You need 2-3 weeks for your brain to adjust because most people are used to boosted bass.
true.

pseudorndnbr

What I can relate is the 0). And it's not that bad with foam tip. Much easier than tri/biflange tips. The rest, they don't necessarily reflect my experience.
I have not changed filter once and it's still very good no blockage or gunk. Cable is alright if you use the clip.

Definitely agree with not having to change filters. I bought my ER4SR back in 2016 or 2017 if I'm not mistaken. Used them on a regular basis and never had to change filters. What I will say though is that it's very good to take off the triple flange tips once a month and put them in some soapy water for 20-30 minutes and cleaning them. I produce a decent amount of ear wax, but it all gets stuck in the tips themselves, so as long as you clean them regularly nothing should get into the filter. And from what I understand changing filters is more a "safety feature" if water were to get into the unit rather than gunk and earwax getting in there. But your mileage may vary.

OP
S

shinewu

I guess I am super wax-generator. The filter quickly gets klogged and LR become imbalanced. At this point, I have to change them. :(

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tin P1 definitely needs some amping. And thats all I'm saying about that.

OP
S

shinewu

P1 seems to a bit risky at this point. Some love it, and others hate it. Maybe it is time for P2 to arrive!

Wortifer

Forum Donor
That really depends on what you want. I like dt200 and er4se very much, even more so with Ananda overall. If you want punchy and wide bass that renders the atmosphere dt200 is a no brainer(still accurate in the mid to high and remember to use foam tips). If you want something clean, deep, fast, clear, forward er2se is the best bet(stock foam tips are great). Starfield has more bass and a bit dark it's not as competitive really but still better than majority of offerings on the market. Ananda is almost perfect in every way. It's a little bit less forward in the vocal and sounds a little bit soft(not an issue). But it's miles better than many things including focal clear.

Just wanted to thank @JohnYang1997 again for the recommendation on the AudioSense dt200. I've had them for a little over a month now. Man these things are good, especially for the money. If you enjoy metal, I would check these out.

OP
S

shinewu

I ended up purchasing the Moondrop Blessing 2. Many claimed that it was a step up from ER4. I only have ER3, and I indeed like B2 much better.

It is a bit brighter, but the tuning is just perfect for female vocal and acoustics. Lows are tight and punchy, mids are sweet and detailed, and highs are just enough for an airy and accurate image. It is very revealing, so I can't listen to a few YouTube videos anymore. They sound plainly painful.

Another downside is that I really just need a clean USB dongle to power it. So my SMSL m500 gets much less use. :(

OP
S

shinewu

Headphone amps are kinda overkill for IEMs

Yeah, I think a $40 TempoTec Sonata HD Pro from Amazon is more than what you need. It actually automatic detects impedance, so it lowers the gain when it detects the IEM. It works flawlessly.

Top Bottom