• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an DAC/AMP for planar magnetic headphones and questions about that

Galke6

Hello everyone, I new on this world of the audio, I have my new Hifiman Sundara and sounds pretty good! but in my PC I sense sounds without much detail with distorsion in 50-60% of volume and notable noise , is an SoundBlaster ZxR and I search a good dac/amp for drive this headphones, I've read so many option but I don't know is the correct way, I've searching and I thinking to buy only an AMP but I not sure about that, so I have a question about this

If I wanna buy a AMP, I pair it with my soundcard without distorsion or anything else? Or, is necessary a DAC too?
If is this case, I can pairing it with a BTR5 or another portable DAC?

And in my searching, I seen the DX3 Pro is a good option but the V2 can make the sound soo flat in planar magnetics and I have question about this
An DAC/AMP with high output impedence (10ohms) can make a negative impact in planar magnetics headphones?
Or only if the ohms is much less than 80ohm?
And why people say and recommend powerful and expensive DAC/AMP for headphones with low impedence (example: LCD-X) and sounds better than cheap and powerful DAC/AMPS? I've see people can drive the LCD-X with a cheap DAC like the BTR5 and not have problem, I think is more subjetive and preference taste, I've read can make the sound "more brilliant" but with lack on the bass, in some situation make the bass more stronger and more thigh

Thank you! And sorry for many question but I think is better resolve it

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 37-Ohm Hifiman Sundara would normally do best plugged into a solid state headphone amplifier, with an output impedance of around 4-Ohms or less (for good damping control).
But being planar, using something a little higher then 4-Ohms might be ok.
The Sound Blaster ZxR is something I would have expected to have an output impedance of 10-Ohms, but some reviewer is Russia stated it's output impedance is about 40-Ohms.
The ZxR does come with some nice DAC chips and op-amps, so do not see a big deal in getting a DAC.
You could get a solid state headphone amplifier and connect it to the ZxR's front speaker output, the audio would bypass the ZxR's headphone surround sound feature, but no need for that for music audio.
Schiit Magni 3 or JDS Atom head amps are options.

OP
Galke6

Galke6

The 37-Ohm Hifiman Sundara would normally do best plugged into a solid state headphone amplifier, with an output impedance of around 4-Ohms or less (for good damping control).
But being planar, using something a little higher then 4-Ohms might be ok.
The Sound Blaster ZxR is something I would have expected to have an output impedance of 10-Ohms, but some reviewer is Russia stated it's output impedance is about 40-Ohms.
The ZxR does come with some nice DAC chips and op-amps, so do not see a big deal in getting a DAC.
You could get a solid state headphone amplifier and connect it to the ZxR's front speaker output, the audio would bypass the ZxR's headphone surround sound feature, but no need for that for music audio.
Schiit Magni 3 or JDS Atom head amps are options.

Well done, and yes, I think the ZxR have much power, enough for pairing with AMP, I consider buy the Liquid Spark, unfortunely the JDS Atom and Magni 3 is out stock on my country, the Liquid Spark is my only option, I think buy a DAC too, because the ZxR not support native DSD, I consider buy the BTR5 for portable usage but I don't know is enough for drive a amp like the Liquid Spark. So I don't know if any DAC can make a good combo with the Liquid

dfuller

Major Contributor
The Sundaras are reasonably sensitive (~94dB/1mW), so you won't need a ton of amp - but they are relatively low impedance at 37ish ohms so you need more current than voltage. Something like a JDS Atom, THX 887 or 789, or Schiit Heresy would work nicely. If you need a DAC too, a Modi 3+ and a Heresy would work, as would a Topping DX3 Pro or similar.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
My Liquid Spark drives my HE400i no problem at all. It also drives my new 18 ohm HE5XX to 'ear shattering' level - even on it's lower gain setting. Both without noticeable distortion.

In turn, the LS itself was driven by a D10 DAC, an LG V20 Quad DAC phone, and now a Qudelix 5k. All do fine.

Though the LS doesn't get much mention around here, I suggest it will be just fine for your Sundaras.

twsecrest

Well done, and yes, I think the ZxR have much power, enough for pairing with AMP, I consider buy the Liquid Spark, unfortunely the JDS Atom and Magni 3 is out stock on my country, the Liquid Spark is my only option, I think buy a DAC too, because the ZxR not support native DSD, I consider buy the BTR5 for portable usage but I don't know is enough for drive a amp like the Liquid Spark. So I don't know if any DAC can make a good combo with the Liquid
Really just about any DAC can work with any headphone amplifier, but more limited options when it comes to a balanced connection.
But we are dealing with the much more common (TRS 3.5mm or dual RCA) un-balanced connection.
I would say get the Liquid Spark, connect it to the ZxR, for now, then take time picking out a DAC, to replace the ZxR.

Last edited:
OP
Galke6

Galke6

Really just about and DAC can work with any headphone amplifier, but more limited options when it comes to a balanced connection.
But we are dealing with the much more common (TRS 3.5mm or dual RCA) un-balanced connection.
I would say get the Liquid Spark, connect it to the ZxR, for now, then take time picking out a DAC, to replace the ZxR.
That was my first decision before search alternatives and I think is the best, after reading about the impedance and the power of the amps, my sound card is more than decent to drive any headphone, like you said, have 10 ohms in the output impedance but maybe is more, the point is enough for drive the Sundara without problems, so I will buy an external amp and an portable dac for only the phone in this moment, thank you!

OP
Galke6

Galke6

My Liquid Spark drives my HE400i no problem at all. It also drives my new 18 ohm HE5XX to 'ear shattering' level - even on it's lower gain setting. Both without noticeable distortion.

In turn, the LS itself was driven by a D10 DAC, an LG V20 Quad DAC phone, and now a Qudelix 5k. All do fine.

Though the LS doesn't get much mention around here, I suggest it will be just fine for your Sundaras.
I've read between the JDS Atom and the Liquid Spark has not difference, only in the measurements but is not noticeable

twsecrest

In general, how do you like the HD5XX and how does it compare to the HE400i?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
general, how do you like the HD5XX and how does it compare to the HE400i?
Briefly so not to hijack the thread, the HE5XX sounds great to me directly driven from my LS/LG V20 w/o any EQ extra at all..classical and female vocals mainly.

The HE400i is currently hooked to a Qudelix with balanced cable, with Amir EQ. It perhaps is a bit more 'shrill, grainy, and coarse' (I am not one to use or really understand subjective terms like this) - so I find myself gravitating to the HE5XX.

Hopefully, Amir will eventually test the HE5XX. But as of now, my impression seems the HE5XX is much better performing than it's usually reported to be...I would really like to see a shootout of it with the higher up but also double-sided Ananda..

3125b

Major Contributor
only in the measurements but is not noticeable
Depends. The Spark seems to be limitied mainly by a low frequency hum, and at those frequencies the hearing is much less sensitive to it. However the overall noise floor is just much lower with the Atom. With highly sensitive headphones, a difference might very well be noticeable. If you could get either at a similar price, the Atom is the better choice.

Top Bottom