• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an AVR in the sub $800 range.

Naugasnake

I have a friend who comes to me from time to time for advice on purchasing AV gear, and he has expressed interest in getting a new home theater receiver. His budget is in the $400-800 range. Looking at Amir's reviews for AVR's that are recommended, there are none in that price range. His needs are basic: a couple of HDMI inputs that can handle 4k, he wants to be able to decode all the major formats, but only needs 5.1 surround. Beyond that he wants as good of sound as he can get. This is mainly going to be streaming movies from all the big providers using a 4k Roku and streaming music from IOS devices.

Given the state of things in the AVR world, we know the audio is going to be somewhat disappointing. Given the limitation of budget, its hard to find any solid recommendations for this purchase. But even if you look at the AVR's from the lists that Amir has reviewed, there are very few reviewed in this price range.

I am struggling to figure out what to suggest to my friend at that price point. Looking for help here. Can you even get serviceable performance in that price range? He does have some pretty nice speakers, so it would be tragic for his receiver to be the weak point, but seems inevitable.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon S660H (8K, Room EQ, etc) or X1700H

Or similar entry models from Yamaha, Onkyo ….

I think at that price they do a good job.

Last edited:

Triliza

Forum Donor
Does he already has a stereo amp, if the AVR has pre-out he can drive the LR speakers with it, or will he use the AVR to power all speakers?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For what speakers and what listening levels at what distance? Does he require pre-outs? Not a particularly good time to find deals on avrs right now otoh. Maybe used market....

OP
N

Naugasnake

For what speakers and what listening levels at what distance? Does he require pre-outs? Not a particularly good time to find deals on avrs right now otoh. Maybe used market....
XLS Encore speakers from GR-Research, as well as a servo sub from GR. No pre-outs required. Used market isn't a bad idea.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

They're all pretty much the same IMO - i opted for a Yamaha V6A and i really like it.

Top Bottom