• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an amp or dac\amp with volume display

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm looking to replace my current headphone amp (Arcam rHead) with a different one, with certain features that are missing from the rHead. All your recommendations are welcome.

Budget – Up to 800$. If it also includes a dac, I don't mind spending up to 1000$.

Features – the most important thing to me is a display that indicates the volume level in DB, and a big comfortable volume knob. The volume adjustment on the rHead is really coarse and the knob is slippery and hard to grip. A remote for controlling the volume is also necessary.

Specs – solid state, with low output impedance (lower than 0.5), flat freq response and good THD specs, and as powerful as the rHead or more (it drives 2W into 16 Ω, 1.1 into 32 Ω, and 130mw into 300 Ω, unbalanced). If it comes with a dac built in I'll probably use it, but I mainly listen to 44.1khz\16 bit so no need for fancy sample rates and DSD.

Connectors – I will plug it to my Schiit Modi 3 dac via rca connectors, and of course it should be able to draw power from the wall (meaning not via USB). If it's a dac, I just use USB. Headphone outputs should be 3.5 or 6.3 mm unbalanced, preferably two outputs. Balanced outputs are not necessary, but would by a nice bonus.

Uses – everyday desktop use (not portable). I have the Focal Clear, Meze 99, and Audeze lcd2c. I listen to loud Metal, if it matters.

The best option I found so far is the RME ADI-2 DAC, but it's a bit pricy for me, and is an overkill with its DSP features (I have a beefy computer and use equalizer APO anyway, so I don't really need all the extra DSP power). The cheaper option is the Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier (AAA-788), but it doesn't come with a remote, has a bit too high output impedance, and overall doesn't feel like an endgame device.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheaper option is the Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier (AAA-788)
As well as the Drop 789, availability may be an issue (delayed to November, would be probably promptly sold out)
I listen to loud Metal, if it matters.
DAC/AMP being not supposing to have sound signature: It doesn't mater. (I listen to loud Metal as well).

The best option I found so far is the RME ADI-2 DAC
I think there is no need to discuss any further. ;)

Sell your Modi 3 to reduce the price difference. I recommend the IEM output for your very sentive 99C.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think there is no need to discuss any further. ;)

Sell your Modi 3 to reduce the price difference. I recommend the IEM output for your very sentive 99C.
Well I wanted to see if I can save a buck before purchasing it. I asked on two other forums and so far didn't get a better option, I thought here maybe I can get a second opinion, so to speak…

WHO23

Forum Donor
Hi Fluffy, seems like what you're looking for is the RME ADI-2 DAC. It's a great 1 box solution to our needs so you won't need the Modi. You can also get a passive attenuator in between the DAC & Amp.

You can also use a SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC with remote control and pair it with Drop THX 789, SMSL SP200 THX or Monoprice 887.

Anyways please message me if you're willing to sell your Arcam rHead. I'd love to be able to try it out.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
The RME ADI-2 is perfect for this use. It is a great DAC and great headphone amp, and has many very useful controls such as tone, balance and dynamic loudness, all programmable for different outputs. It has auto reference level settings, a dB scale for volume, plus a screen that gives you frequency specific peak levels.

Top Bottom