• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for amplifier suggestions

sweidapro

Hi, very new here
Last summer I started my "hi-fi" career by getting an ifi zendac and a pair of hifiman sundaras for my PC, and I was blown away by how much I loved the combo.
So, naturally I wanted to go further, but this time with speakers, and so I, somewhat by impulse, bought a pair of Dali 450 speakers.
Now I have been pulled into the jungle of finding a good pairing amplifier to these speakers.

As I said I am completely new to this, and I have don't want to make "beginners mistakes".
I do want to keep it somewhat budget friendly ;)
As of now I have been eying, and reading reviews of
Yamaha WXA-50
Cambridge Audio AXR100(D)
Yamaha R-N303D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hi, very new here
Last summer I started my "hi-fi" career by getting an ifi zendac and a pair of hifiman sundaras for my PC, and I was blown away by how much I loved the combo.
So, naturally I wanted to go further, but this time with speakers, and so I, somewhat by impulse, bought a pair of Dali 450 speakers.
Now I have been pulled into the jungle of finding a good pairing amplifier to these speakers.

As I said I am completely new to this, and I have don't want to make "beginners mistakes".
I do want to keep it somewhat budget friendly ;)
As of now I have been eying, and reading reviews of
Yamaha WXA-50
Cambridge Audio AXR100(D)
Yamaha R-N303D

The Yamaha R-N303D would be the pick in my opinion. I don't see the other products bringing anymore to the table and arguably less. That said, if a super compact form factor is your need, then the WXA-50 might be a better option.

Cheers and welcome to ASR. :)

OP
S

sweidapro

The Yamaha R-N303D would be the pick in my opinion. I don't see the other products bringing anymore to the table and arguably less. That said, if a super compact form factor is your need, then the WXA-50 might be a better option.

Cheers and welcome to ASR. :)
Thanks for the welcome!
Yes, I have also been leaning towards the R-N303D aswell, however I just realised it says minimum 8ohm impedance on the speakers, and the Dali 450 are 4ohm... I guess that takes it out of the picture?
EDIT: On yamahas site they list power output into 4ohms, but the speaker output on the unit says 8ohm minimum, how should that be interpreted? (also the same is listed in the manual, 8ohms only)

Also, I would like to get a turntable down the line, and it seems on the D model of the yamaha, they have excluded the phono-input, which means I would have to get a separate Riaa-amp, right? or a turntable with an integrated one

I appreciate the input :)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It will be fine with 4R speakers.

And yes, if they've removed the RIAA stage, maybe consider an TT with an integral preamplifier.

OP
S

sweidapro

O, that's good to hear, as I mentioned I was leaning towards it aswell, as it seemed like the more complete unit of the three :)
what's the reason for listing 8R though? just curious :)

Top Bottom