• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for affordable alternatives to RME Babyface for Asynchronous DAC w/ Balanced outputs

AgentSanchez

So I've always held the opinion that RME converters running as an asynchronous DAC/Balanced outs will give you top-notch conversion for a reasonable price. And have received several comments to the effect that I can match that for $100 and was referred here. I remain dubious.

Any recommendations/ideas in regards to this comment? If I could get similar or better conversion w/ balanced outs - AND - get some kind of remote volume control on a budget, I'd be ecstatic!

For reference - current setup is the RME as a DAC, feeding a Hafler Transnova P4000, driving a pair of B&W DM604 S3.

gvl

Major Contributor
Balanced outputs with remote controlled volume for $100 isn't going to happen, but if you're willing to up the game to $300-400 there are good options out there.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
A

AgentSanchez

Balanced outputs with remote controlled volume for $100 isn't going to happen, but if you're willing to up the game to $300-400 there are good options out there.

Hmm - what would you advise in the $300-400 range? I can't see spending the cost of the RME to replace it and only get a volume control in the deal but $300-400.... maybe.

gvl

Major Contributor
Hmm - what would you advise in the $300-400 range? I can't see spending the cost of the RME to replace it and only get a volume control in the deal but $300-400.... maybe.

Topping D30 Pro I think is the best performer for the money. I understand early adopters faced some issues, check the discussion about it here if it matters to you. SMSL M300 mkii seems decent too, and yet cheaper.

Top Bottom