• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for advice

HorizonsEdge

First let me give you the hardware:
Nearfield (max 75-80db)
PC where I run spotify premium and amazon hd, currently trying to decide on what service i will stay with
Topping D30 dac
Sabaj A20a (previously used Aiyima A07 and Yamaha rs-202) (also tried a NAD 3020v2 but it over heated)
KEF Q150's + SVS SB1000
Standard OFC cables and inter-connects

This is a pretty decent setup to my ears. It is dead silent when music is not playing. When playing it provides the best sound stage I have ever heard but that is not saying much due to my limited exposure. I listen to classic rock, blues, new wave and occasionally opera. I can hear instrument separation distinctly. I am a big fan of guitar solos particularly Hendrix, Clapton, Santana and the obscure blues artists. Strangely enough I am also hooked on Puccini and Taylor Swift.

Comes down to this . . . .
Is there something I can add to this setup to get the most out of it (e.g. dac, pre-amp etc) or should I just save up for better speakers? or amp? is it my source material? I have not set an overall budget but I would like to stay under $1k per component unless the answer is keep everything and get different speakers. I am not looking for end-game but a noticeable step up in detail.

I like to plan and research and I honestly do not know what direction to go at this juncture. Help me decide on my next project?

Thanks

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were you I'd save up for a pair of R3s. Or better yet Reference 1s, but that's a much bigger aspiration.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I were you I'd save up for a pair of R3s. Or better yet Reference 1s, but that's a much bigger aspiration.

IMHO, yes R3 will be a good upgrade. However, I don't know how well will your amps drive those speakers. I don't have any experience with class D amps and no idea how they sound like. But, I am tempted to give it a try.

Top Bottom