• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for advice on Beyer DT 1770 or other closed end HP

Leiker535

I've never understood that part tbh. From Wikipedia:

How can you accurately do that on a headphone like the DT1990, which will distort relative volume levels due to its piercing treble and poor bass response?
View attachment 249737

Like, won't a track mixed on the DT1990 sound awful when played back on studio monitors? With dull hi-hats and disgustingly boomy bass, because while mixing you were unintentionally but inadvertently compensating for the headphone's own shortcomings?

First and foremost, headphone mixing is not common, as it is very difficult to do stereo imaging with it, and so it is an afterprocess of standard mixing with studio monitors. Usually these, if not SOTA like Neumann and Genelec or some good JBLs, won't have good FR perfomance even though they are praised as being the industry standard. The end result,, thus, as I see it, is more relative of the standard we expect of the industry rather than what would be considered neutral and natural, objectively.

The default monitoring gear, like that Yamaha I linked (or even a old version that I forgot the name, but had an atrocious FR) or the infamous classic AKGs, may sound very weird for trained ears but also may amplify incoherences on the original mix. And that is where I see the main use of headphones on the studio environment: either for monitoring on-stage, which requires great isolation and often times benefit from boosted a midbass "bloomy" shelf; or for checking for inconsistencies on the mastering process.

That is of course speculation on my part, but it's what I see when observing friends who work on that area. And I don't think this pans out well with hifi recordings, where we see those SOTA brands more.

staticV3

Master Contributor
But my impression was that the OP prioritises build quality very highly, especially in terms of "metal instead of plastic".
Imo, sturdy plastic and easy access to replacement parts (=Beyer) means much higher longevity than metal build and no replacement parts (=Focal).

Plus, replacement pads for the Elegia cost $100 and it's dubious whether they'll even be available in a few years. Right now, I can only find them on moon-audio. Not even on Focal's website.

New DT 700 pads on the other hand cost just $25, and are available from Beyer as well as from many retailers and will most likely stay available for a long time. Much more future proof.

rentaclaus

I can highly recommend the Austrian Audio (founded by former AKG Employees) Hi-X55. Its sound is very detailed and clear to me. Build quality is a dream. Input impedance is rather low (25 Ohm).

Eageryl waiting that the shiit magni heritic (or +) gets available again in europe to squeeze out the max quality ;-)

Dazerdoreal

Imo, sturdy plastic and easy access to replacement parts (=Beyer) means much higher longevity than metal build and no replacement parts (=Focal).

Plus, replacement pads for the Elegia cost $100 and it's dubious whether they'll even be available in a few years. Right now, I can only give them on moon-audio. Not even on Focal's website.

New DT 700 pads on the other hand cost just $25, and are available from Beyer as well as from many retailers and will most likely stay available for a long time.
Yes, these are good points. I am not against the 1990, I just think the Elegia might be another option. (Btw, how are Austrian Audio in that regard?)

As imas69 said, the OP doesnt want to start a hifi shop. Focal Headphones look precious and might be well-suited as a present for a loved one. As you said, if her (or his?) boyfriend does not want to EQ, the 1990 is a risk as well because of the high treble peak which might be a serious turn-off for some. And while the Elegia does not look like as it sounds spectacular, it should be agreeable for most folks.

Dazerdoreal

I can highly recommend the Austrian Audio (founded by former AKG Employees) Hi-X55. Its sound is very detailed and clear to me. Build quality is a dream. Input impedance is rather low (25 Ohm).

Eageryl waiting that the shiit magni heritic (or +) gets available again in europe to squeeze out the max quality ;-)
I am now taking the job of @staticV3 and tell you that the frequency response of the X-55 really does not look good. You are free to like its sound but it seems risky. The X-60 is surely a safer pick here. The OP is ready to invest up to 600, so why not take the higher-priced model which is still easily in her (or his) budget.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a17yq4pkomonor0/Austrian Audio Hi-X55.pdf?dl=0 (X-55)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kk2i0e06u27myf/Austrian Audio Hi-X60.pdf?dl=0 (X-60)

rentaclaus

Btw, how are Austrian Audio in that regard?)
Austrian Audio HP's are made with a mix of heavy duty plastic and metal. Cables are detachtable and available as user replacable spare parts, also the cushions. I'm rather convinced that the service in vienna, where they are manufactured, will be great (if ever needed). I'm having the headphones since more than 2 years and they look and sound like new.
All in all I'm more than satiesfied (I had several Sennheiser, several AKG, Yamaha HP1, Stax SR5 Gold, Beyer T50p, old Koss- can't remember its name, before and I don't miss any of them).

rentaclaus

The X-60 is surely a safer pick here. The OP is ready to invest up to 600, so why not take the higher-priced model which is still easily in her (or his) budget.
They wheren't available when I bought mine, but guess you are right and it's quite possible that I would choose them today, but never heard them ... so how can I recommend ?

Top Bottom