• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a USB DAC with independant dB volume control.

Candlesticks

Unusual but the reason why is that if I'm using a different preamp value in EqualizerAPO I can then adjust the dB on the DAC to keep the same maximum output level with the headphones.

For example if the DAC is at -10dB and the EqualizerAPO preamp is at -5dB then if I change the EAPO preamp to -8dB I can then adjust the DAC to -7dB to keep the same maximum output level for the headphones.

I'd like to accomplish this independently from Windows which is why I want an external box with dB volume control.

I know there are AV receivers that can do this but I don't know which ones are good and they might not support USB audio.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Intelligent headphone outputs. The headphone outputs on the DC-1 are driven by a pair of high current, low distortion BUF634 buffers - driven by our proprietary input buffer circuitry; their low output impedance ensures accurate frequency response and low distortion into real world headphone loads. Output levels for main and headphone outputs are independently controlled and retained in memory

The above is from the manual for the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC. BTW, I think they will soon come out with an improved Stealth DC-2.

In any case, this does what you want for $499. You didn't mention a price range.

BTW, looks like you are new. So welcome to the forum.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I first read this I thought you wanted a DAC with preamp outs and headphone out and both could be independently controlled (which the Emotiva would allow). However upon reading it again are you merely looking for a USB DAC that has db control on a knob that isn't part of software? If so any USB DAC with volume control in db steps would work. Though like Amir posted sometimes they aren't exactly and precisely 1 db. The Emotiva should be as they list in the features that volume is done with switched resistor networks.

Top Bottom