• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a tube amplifier references

hawai_50

Hello, I got this chasis, and I'd like to know more details about brand, model, tubes, or whatever it is possible to know. At the moment I suspect it was from a british amplifier, and probably wearing 4 valves. Is there any one who knows about it?
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
OP
hawai_50

hawai_50

Could someone give a clue?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No idea myself.
Here is not a place where valve amp enthusiasts are particularly thick on the ground.
I would try a forum where “valvebloke” posts. He is a brilliant English scientist with an interest in repairing valve amplifiers. He can be found on Hifi Abattoir, Hifi wigwam and maybe others.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I would find someone local so it doesn't kill you. Hit Craigslist for a local tube builder guy

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
No idea myself.
Here is not a place where valve amp enthusiasts are particularly thick on the ground.

Ahem. :cool:

But of course, I'm useless here other than to observe that there seem to be no transformers there, so unlikely to be anything of value or use.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahem. :cool:

But of course, I'm useless here other than to observe that there seem to be no transformers there, so unlikely to be anything of value or use.
Oops, SIY sorry forgot your extensive expertise in thermionic electronics :facepalm:. I was thinking if it is a UK amp and he wants to know which it is "Valvebloke" may be able to help.
Certainly there is not much of value in the photos and I know nothing whatsoever about valve amps.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If @hawai_50 gets nowhere, drop me a note and I'll run it past Morgan Jones, who literally wrote the book. This appears to be a removed part of a larger assembly, with all of the useful stuff stripped off. The thumbwheels might be significant for identification.

OP
hawai_50

hawai_50

I wanted to know any detail, to get at least the valves it was containing, or if possible the brand / model or even the schemathics ...

in order to to use as much as possible all parts that are already mounted in the chassis for building / rebuilding a small amp project. It is not for comercial use, just entertainment.
Thanks

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I wanted to know any detail, to get at least the valves it was containing, or if possible the brand / model or even the schemathics ...

in order to to use as much as possible all parts that are already mounted in the chassis for building / rebuilding a small amp project. It is not for comercial use, just entertainment.
Thanks

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but you don't even know it was an amp, the parts worth using are not there (and new ones are not cheap!), and the stuff left behind (dried out electrolytic capacitors, antique carbon comp resistors, fishplate tube sockets) shouldn't be re-used.

OP
hawai_50

hawai_50

It's probably a foolishness for you, but I really enjoy this type of restoration. I have material and transformers in the warehouse, coming from other projects. Thanks for showing your concern.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's not restoration (I've done a fair bit of that myself!), it would be literally ripping everything out of there and starting from scratch. There's essentially no parts in that which should be re-used, except maybe the chassis. You might be able to recover the thumbwheel switches with disassembly and cleaning.

OP
hawai_50

hawai_50

I just wanted to know the brand and model of the chassis that I have shown.
If someone could give me that simple information, I would be very grateful
Many thanks to you and Frank Dernie, also Worth Davis, for multiple answers here
Thank you

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure it is an amplifier, possibly a preamp, but there's no sign of where one or two output transformers would go, and the internal construction isn't symmetrical, so unlikely to be stereo.

My guess is that if it's a piece of audio equipment at all, it's a tape recorder chassis, with the round hole for a meter, and the two coils something to do with a bias trap and oscillator. If it's not that, then don't have a clue. My further guess is that it's a DIY item, so no manufacturer.

S

invaderzim

..My guess is that if it's a piece of audio equipment at all,...

That is what I keep wondering, since tubes did a lot more than audio back in the day it could easily be some other type of equipment.

... My further guess is that it's a DIY item, so no manufacturer.

It does have the one off look.

Last edited:

tourtrophy

Probably not worth salvaging it. The point to point wiring looks horrific. I don't see any proper grounding just by looking at it. Better off getting one of the DIY kit from TubeDepot to save you all the headaches.

OP
hawai_50

hawai_50

After hearing all these reasonable opinions, I'm going to use the chassis and also, if I can, the potentiometers to put on a simple Chinese kit that I already have and had wanted to mount for some time. Mount the transformers away from the chassis to have more space. Therefore nothing to do with the brand of origin, or with the components that are seen. Thank you all for collaborating in the decision making process.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Does not look like a conventional audio amplifier. Could be a short wave radio.

Top Bottom