• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a travel DAC/AMP

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was hoping to get some opinions and or recommendations. On work trips I am using Focal Elegia headphones, out of an Asus G14 (2022) laptop. The onboard doesn't sound bad to my ears, but I often am listening at 90-100 volume depending on the song's volume level. I am starting to think about perhaps getting an DAC/AMP combo, I have read about Dongle DACS ad nauseum, it seems like something like a Schiit Fulla/Hel would be an option. My home setup is A30 Pro/D30 Pro, as well as a JDS Labs Element II on the bar, I suppose I am spoiled on the volume control and versatility those devices offer me. I could drag the Element with me but even that is to bulky for travel.

I am not sure what this laptop is outputting, but recommendations on a solution would be very appreciated.

twsecrest

iBasso DC05 or FiiO KA3.

The Asus G14 laptop appears to use Realtek audio for the DAC function.
The Schiit Fulla/Hel needs to use two USB ports, the DC05/KA3 only need one USB port.
Schiit Fulla/Hel comes with a volume knob :)
I own the iBasso DC04 and Schiit Fulla 3, like them both.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Portable DAC/headphone amp... not cheap though;
Much cheaper, perform quite well, dongle style;

JSmith

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IFI IDsd Micro Black. Sinad numbers might not be the best, but it should have enough power to drive anything and it can be driven by usb or spidf input.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Sound blaster g6 in direct mode would be a good choice, low gain with the volume inder 85 percent for a -2db reduction will hit a measured 112 Sinad and just uses a single USB port. When it's setup you don't even need the software, and you can find one under $100. I just had a Fulla 2 the other day and it was good, you don't need the second power plug unless your USB port can't supply the 500ma it needs, but most can. The Fulla 2 was nice, it's built like a tank and compact.
High gain mode in the G6 is kind of iffy for sound quality, but in low gain it's a good value for travel without needing a power brick.

iFi audio

Audio Company
IFI IDsd Micro Black. Sinad numbers might not be the best, but it should have enough power to drive anything and it can be driven by usb or spidf input.
Thank you for mentioning us! It's a good idea, as iDSD Micro black is a good all-rounder. I think that the GO bar might be a more convenient alternative, as it's the most powerful dongle on the market :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
@iFi audio
What's the highest output power the GO bar can deliver at 1% THD+N and at what impedance does it hit that value?
E.g. the HiFiMan EF400 hits its maximum output power of 1.99W at about 22Ω with clipping point "at the knee":
HiFiMan EF400_ Max Power vs Load (clipping at the knee).png

Katji

Major Contributor
Thank you for mentioning us! It's a good idea, as iDSD Micro black is a good all-rounder. I think that the GO bar might be a more convenient alternative, as it's the most powerful dongle on the market :)
It looks very nice. Please send one to ASR for review.
I'd want to know whether the MQA path is completely bypassed if not using MQA.

By the way:
"Accessories include a leather travel case and a Lightening Lightning to USB-C, no need to buy a Camera Connection Kit, plus a USB-C OTG cable and a USB-C to USB-A adapter."
...very easily corrected.

TK750

Holy moly the pricing of the 'GO bar' is absolutely obscene, £329!

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Is there anyway to know if the Hidiz S9 or Go bar will produce more power than my Laptop headphone jack?

Katji

Major Contributor
Is there anyway to know if the Hidiz S9 or Go bar will produce more power than my Laptop headphone jack?
iFi GO definitely / almost certainly...

• 475mW into 32 ohms
  • 7.5V into 600 ohms
Power OutputBalanced
UnBAL
475mW@32Ω; 7.2V@600Ω
300mW@32Ω; 3.8V@600Ω
Output Impedance<1Ω (BAL/UnBAL)*

The GO bar also incorporates two power tuning technologies:

• iEMatch – attenuates power to suit high-sensitivity headphones and IEMs, it removes background noise and increases usable volume range
  • Turbo – ramps up the gain by 6dB to satisfy more power-hungry headphones

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want a battery this looks like a no brainer sensible alternative to the Mojo's of the world.

If you dont need battery power, just get the Meizu hifi dongle or one of the other sub $70 well measuring dongles on Aliexpress

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes. With the Cosmos load board, a cheap multimeter like the Aneng AN870, and a 60Hz 0dBFS test file you can measure power and voltage across different loads yourself.
Afterwards, you can search for an Amp with more grunt than the one inside your laptop.

Only caveat:
You can measure how much voltage and power your laptop can output into a given load, but you can't measure at what THD+N it can do that.
For that you need a good ADC.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Yes. With the Cosmos load board, a cheap multimeter like the Aneng AN870, and a 60Hz 0dBFS test file you can measure power and voltage across different loads yourself.
Afterwards, you can search for an Amp with more grunt than the one inside your laptop.

Only caveat:
You can measure how much voltage and power your laptop can output into a given load, but you can't measure at what THD+N it can do that.
For that you need a good ADC.

Good idea! I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Hidiz S9 Pro, for the money I figured it was worth a shot.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy moly the pricing of the 'GO bar' is absolutely obscene, £329!
The IDSD Micro Black Label is discontinued, so there might be bargains to be had. It's much bigger than the GO bar, and is as powerful as most desktop amps, more of a transportable than portable piece. But if you're driving Focal headphones, rather than IEM's.....

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
The Hidiz S9 Pro was just what the doctor ordered! thanks everyone for the recommendations.

iFi audio

Audio Company
@iFi audio
What's the highest output power the GO bar can deliver at 1% THD+N and at what impedance does it hit that value?
E.g. the HiFiMan EF400 hits its maximum output power of 1.99W at about 22Ω with clipping point "at the knee":
View attachment 214223
I have asked the engineers to provide me with some measurements to share with you. Give them a couple of day please :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
@iFi audio Have ifi's engineers managed to make some measurements already? It's been three weeks now.

Surely ifi wouldn't make such bold claims as "World’s most powerful headphone amp of its size." without data to back those up, right?!

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Has anyone seen the Moondrop Dawn? looks like it just came out back in June.

Top Bottom