• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a sub €500 (wired) closed back pair of headphones.

Lucaxr

Budget: preferably below 500 but I can go slightly over.

Source/amp: if an amp is required, I own the zen dac v2 and am looking at buying the zen ifi hip 2.

Usage: I would like to use it at the office, on public transport possibly and at home. I know that means basically everywhere, but they will not be a dedicated at home listening pair, for which I would choose open back.

Tonal balance: I would like to avoid an overly analytical and clean sound. A dynamic and within reason warmer sound would be nice.

Preferred music: I listen to hiphop (kendrick/kanye/jay-z/jid/...), pop, indie, film music (lotrs, westerns,...), Classical music/opera

Past gear experience: I recently started working so my previous experiences were always on a budget. I used the hyperX cloud alpha, I enjoyed the stronger bass. I also own beyerdynamic custom one pro plus, a more neutral sound with less bass, I enjoy using this pair, they are comfortable but lack a bit of flair.

My own research: I have gone through a few top 10 lists and two pairs stand out to me:
- Meze 99 classics ~ 300€
- beyerdynamic amiron wireless ~ 550€

They are quite far apart pricewise, but I don't see a lot of recommendations for headphones between €350-500. The Mezze seems to be a good pair, but are 200€ below my possible budget, and I would like to buy a pair that is the best I can afford and use them for a long time.
The amiron non wireless is open back which would be an issue, therefore I could opt for the (closed back) wireless version. I would use it wired most of the time and was wondering if this would be even worth it over the Meze.

Peterinvan

Source/amp: if an amp is required, I own the zen dac v2 and am looking at buying the zen ifi hip 2.

Usage: I would like to use it at the office, on public transport possibly and at home. I know that means basically everywhere, but they will not be a dedicated at home listening pair, for which I would choose open back.

Tonal balance: I would like to avoid an overly analytical and clean sound. A dynamic and within reason warmer sound would be nice.

Preferred music: I listen to hiphop (kendrick/kanye/jay-z/jid/...), pop, indie, film music (lotrs, westerns,...), Classical music/opera

Past gear experience: I recently started working so my previous experiences were always on a budget. I used the hyperX cloud alpha, I enjoyed the stronger bass. I also own beyerdynamic custom one pro plus, a more neutral sound with less bass, I enjoy using this pair, they are comfortable but lack a bit of flair.

My own research: I have gone through a few top 10 lists and two pairs stand out to me:

They are quite far apart pricewise, but I don't see a lot of recommendations for headphones between €350-500. The Mezze seems to be a good pair, but are 200€ below my possible budget, and I would like to buy a pair that is the best I can afford and use them for a long time.
The amiron non wireless is open back which would be an issue, therefore I could opt for the (closed back) wireless version. I would use it wired most of the time and was wondering if this would be even worth it over the Meze.
The Focal Elegia is now within your price range, but you may need to save up a bit more for the Dekoni “Stellia Custom” pads.

PRL18

I asked a similar question not long ago and got several recommendations.

For this price range I listened and liked the Focal Elegia. My problem was it felt a bit uncomfortable due to the clamp force (big head). Otherwise I would have kept them. Loved the wide soundstage and details. Excellent passive noise isolation. May need some EQ.

Another recommendation was the Austrian Audio HI-X60. I thought the sound wasn't as clear as some people claim but they are good. Super light weight.

leonasj

i have on sale far better sounding vs amiron wireless , 250eur mint beyerdynamic aventho bt.

Top Bottom