• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a Mini low cost amp that performs (is the Topping MX3 for me?)

Vixenlotus

Hi i am looking for a mini low cost amp (under $200 but better if under 150) to drive a set of Pioneer SP-BS22-LRs (not bought yet) for a bedroom. i am going to stream lossless music to it.
I have seen the review of the Topping MX3 and it looks like it could fit the bill however i know i will never use a headphone with it and i will not use Bluetooth. Is there a Topping product that has these stripped away and still will perform well for speakers. Or one that performs a bit better and does not have these on it.

Feel free to recommend other devices as well including alternatives for the speakers. Budget for the whole system should be under $300 US. I could even go with a set of powered bookshelf speakers if i found some that sounded good (i just returned a set of Edifiers that sounded very bad the R1700bt).

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

i am spoiled by my main 2 channel set up with my Conrad Johnson Sonographe SA250 amp and my Revel F30s so i know this will be a compromise.

thank you

OP
V

Vixenlotus

The D502 looks very interesting. I wonder how it compares to the Topping MX3.

BillG

Major Contributor
A number of people over at diyaudio.com love the following - There's a WiFi version of it around with streaming via DLNA/UPnP:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32594479261.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.4.38cb63d5vxxK82

Here's a thread at diyaudio.com where it's being discussed - there are some performance measurements included if you dig around a bit:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/280228-am-v200-fx-audio-d802-optimisation-tpa3116.html

I happen to own one, pictured below though it's no longer in service, and was quite satisfied with it for the price when I was using it... :cool:

IMG_20191013_150951.png

Last edited:

Webninja

Forum Donor
JBL 305s + Chromecast? Might be a great bang for your buck.

I know I keep posting about the 305s, but for the money I have not found better. Maybe go up to the 308 for more bass.

TimW

Major Contributor
I picked up the FX-Audio FX252A from Parts-Express for a battery powered portable project. For $30 it's a steal, usually I can only get an amplifier board for that much without casework or power supply. The unit feels as well built as older SMSL and Topping products. Maybe not as good as their newer stuff but certainly adequate. What's cool about this unit is the ability to adjust gain using dip switches in the bottom. A lot of these cheap class D amps have way too much gain in an effort to make them seem powerful, which comes at the expense of volume knob usability and noise floor. I'm not going to claim that this or FX-Audio's other amps will perform as well as the Topping MX3, but I doubt you could hear much of a difference between them and this is much cheaper.

BTW you can use coupon code TMK5BB to get $5 off an order of $50 or more this month.

BillG

Major Contributor
Here's a thread at diyaudio.com where it's being discussed - there are some performance measurements included if you dig around a bit:

I actually have the performance measurements from that thread on file on my computer- by the way, I have no idea about the test conditions the person used:

THD:

v200d.png

Frequency response:

v200r.png

Noise levels, dynamic range, etc.- V200 is the one is question:

comparaison.png

Top Bottom