• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a good performing class D amplifier that looks like a tube amplifier

Pygmy

Aight so let's get this over with - I love the way tube amplifiers look. They look like portabl Back to The Future, with glowing stuff and glass and weird parts and shit.
That said, I like efficiency and I like amplification being amplification and not amplifistortion.

So, I'd like to buy something that performs as a modern Class D amplifier (at least equal or better than a TPA3255) but looks a bit better than a black box with knobs.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends how much power you need? If you really like the way tubes look, just get tubes and efficient speakers and listen close to your speakers =P

ST-70 Series 3
50 milliwatt
SNR 81.2 dB
THD 0.008% (-81.9 dB)
SINAD 78.5 dB

AHB2
50 milliwatt
SNR 92 dB
THD 0.024% (-72.4 dB)
SINAD 72.3 dB

Revel PerformaBe F328Be @ 50 mW
80.3 dB at 5 ft
70.8 dB at 15 ft

drewdawg999

Not cheap at all but AGD does this in their Vivace Monoblocks. They put modules inside glass tube enclosures, real sexy but way out of my tax bracket.

Top Bottom