• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a good not overly expensive linear power supply

Nobunaga

Hey

I am looking for a linear power supply with DC 24V and amperage is not that important as long as it is over 500Ma.

I need it for my Graham Slee Solo headphone amp, the sound gets a bit better with an external power supply, but the power supply they offer is a bit expensive with 200usd+shipping.

Any reccomendations?

Best regards

Till Espeli

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't know the technical explanation for why it sound better but it does. Everyone that bought it reported that it does.

Well, that raises two possibilities:

1. The headphone amp has a serious design error.
2. "Everyone" who "reported" better sound hasn't done basic controls on their listening evaluation.

I'll let you judge which of these is correct.

edit: I looked at the link you posted. Run away as fast as you can with your hand firmly clamped over your wallet.

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

High priced stuff sold with a load of twaddle.

Yeah that is why i dont want that specific PSU, but the amp itself is really good. https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/headphone-amplifiers/solo-srgii-headphone-amplifier.html

Hi,

Sbooster LPS are supposed to be good.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pply-review-and-measurements.1849/#post-47254

Are you sure you need a LPS? Why would it sound better?

That sbooster is way over my budget

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

Measurements or it didn't happen... ;)

I am not here to discuss that, if you want measure it :p

I am just looking for a linear powersupply, worst case scenario the money will be wasted, but that's my problem

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If the amp is good, then there's no need for a new power supply, other than a psychological urge to spend money on something that won't actually change the sound. In which case, toss your money at whoever tells you the best story.

The best and quietest supply I've ever measured was a switching one. And it made no actual difference in the preamp I used it for because the preamp was competently designed.

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

If the amp is good, then there's no need for a new power supply, other than a psychological urge to spend money on something that won't actually change the sound. In which case, toss your money at whoever tells you the best story.

The best and quietest supply I've ever measured was a switching one. And it made no actual difference in the preamp I used it for because the preamp was competently designed.

i dont think so tbh, here is a small explanation "Hi, the Green Solo came out in 2007 as an exercise by Graham to implement a switching power supply to drive the Solo amp and reduce the consumption of electricity. A lot has changed in the last 5 years and Graham has tweaked the output of his amps which now far outperform the Green Solo "

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If that's the story that appeals to you, then you ought to pull out your credit card.

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

If that's the story that appeals to you, then you ought to pull out your credit card.

Why would it not be true? You think all the people that expressed an opinion on that biasd?

On the headfi thread alone 5 people reported and improvement and here a 6th one https://www.reevoo.com/p/graham-slee-psu1

If it was 1 person, i might not believe it but 6 tells a different story. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graham-Slee-PSU1-Linear-Upgrade/product-reviews/B00AHZAGWU here are other 4.

Ofc there is no science to prove it but because it simply has not been scientifically tested, however that doesn't mean it's not true.

And if i ever buy it then i will have 10 people blind test it to figure it if i got biasd by buying it.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would it not be true? You think all the people that expressed an opinion on that biasd?

On the headfi thread alone 5 people reported and improvement and here a 6th one https://www.reevoo.com/p/graham-slee-psu1

If it was 1 person, i might not believe it but 6 tells a different story.

Not unless the 6 carried out proper blind listening tests. Otherwise, it's just 6 random opinions.

S

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The plural of anecdote is not data. And if this stuff worked as claimed, there would be backup data, not unsupported testimonials.

And for whatever reason, the audio world is packed with people who are unusually and vocally credulous. Not to mention advertiser-supported forums who censor data that isn't conducive to their advertisers' commercial interests.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The nice community on Headfi.org is the antithesis of scentific audio.

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

Well then the only factor that remains is, how much money am i willing to spend for something that may or may not make an audible difference?

I can always try to resell the PSU, but there is no way for me to try one unless i buy it. I live in Switzerland and if i buy something and i open a sealed package i can't return the item.

Can i find a decent linear PSU for 50usd? Maybe some vintage stuff?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It would have been 600 audiophiles the biases would have been the same: The usual forum talks about how great the PS is, The salesperson, the other audiophiles, The tendency of audiophiles to overestimate their hearing capabilities, etc... Same biases, same results. That's the beauty of Science. under the same conditions you should expect the same results.

You take the exact same people, you remove most of those biases (blind testing) and you will get no differences in sound.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well then the only factor that remains is, how much money am i willing to spend for something that may or may not make an audible difference?

I can always try to resell the PSU, but there is no way for me to try one unless i buy it. I live in Switzerland and if i buy something and i open a sealed package i can't return the item.

Can i find a decent linear PSU for 50usd? Maybe some vintage stuff?

Like I said, if the power supply makes a difference, there's a severe design flaw in the amp, and you'd do better replacing it rather than try a band-aid.

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

It would have been 600 audiophiles the biases would have been the same: The usual forum talks about how great the PS is, The salesperson, the other audiophiles, The tendency of audiophiles to overestimate their hearing capabilities, etc... Same biases, same results. That's the beauty of Science. under the same conditions you should expect the same results.

You take the exact same people, you remove most of those biases (blind testing) and you will get no differences in sound.

That might be true, but i can only speak for myself, it has happened that i ordered something with big expactations and then being disappointed and not using it.

Top Bottom