• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a good dac Amp combo/stack @$500

Amiram

Hello everyone, I have just created an account here but been following the site for over 2 months in helping myself get a good pair of headphones, amp and dac as I'm starting my journey in audio
I respect @amirm for his constant efforts in bringing us the best quality audio equipment.

I have recently purchased a Sennheiser Hd58x (chose it over the uber popular Hd6xx upon my friend's recommendation) and is enroute.. (I also own a Audio Technica Ath-m40x which wasn't pleasant sounding due to inadequate power input, hence very tinny sounding). I believe as everyone in this hobby knows (that there won't be a one stop solution in audio at least for headphones) it won't be the only headphone I'll be using, as I'm considering Ath-r70x 470 ohms or hifiman Sundara or beyerdynamic 880 pro 250/600 ohms, open backs as future upgrades.

Would like to know your thoughts on the aforementioned and also on the Burson Playmate if it's worth considering as I have a deal for around $250 (without the V6 op amps). I believe it has been used extensively for years and he's now upgrading to Burson Playmate 2.
The dac Amp selection would be my immediate requirement tbh..

P.s: I have cited the list of headphones only to ensure adequate power output of the Amp in your recommendations.

I'll happily welcome your suggestions regarding both headphones and amp dac stack.. ☺️
Currently, I don't have anything to drive these headphones.

serkankster

I have Topping A90 & Schiit Modius combo, which works pretty well, and is quite future proof. I think it's good option if you wanna build a balanced setup that can drive any headphones that you may wanna get later on. Costs $700.

OP
Amiram

Amiram

Thank you for your kind response

Yes, what you said is completely true. After giving it a thought, I have decided to extend my budget to $800. I'm currently considering Topping A30pro and D30 Pro stack.. Your opinion on that?

I previously wanted the modius stack but it's unavailable in India and customs will eat up my wallet (43%+18% tax)

If you think my combination of topping is good, could you also clarify its reliability? I have heard toppings aren't the best in terms of reliability. Besides this stack, which else would you recommend..?

Top Bottom