• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a good amp/DAC with LDAC transmit

skerik

Forum Donor
I have an Audeze Mobius headset purchased mainly for PC use which features the LDAC Bluetooth codec. It's really the only way to use this headset wirelessly as the sound quality over base BT takes a deep nosedive. So I bought the well known Fiio BTA30 which is one of the few pieces of gear out there that seems to have a BT output featuring LDAC, as opposed to only an input.

I've now recently picked up a HifiMan HE-560 v4 and would like to also use it (in different circumstances) with my PC. The BTA30 can do this with an RCA to 1/4 adapter I got... but the output is a little on the low side. I guess the BTA30 amp is not that strong. I'd love to find a single device that can connect to my PC and support both headsets, which means having 1) a solid amp; 2) BT out with LDAC; 3) DAC with at least optical, if not USB input.

Searching around here and other places I'm coming up short on finding anything. It doesn't seem like this should be so rare, but that seems to be the case. Does anyone here have a suggestion? I looked at a couple of the Topping units but they seem to feature BT/LDAC as input only.

Zim

Forum Donor
I’ve been searching for what you’re seeking for months now. And the only option that I know of to do what you want to do is;
Topping D10s (Optical Out) -> BTA30 (Optical In) -> LDAC Transmit
Topping D10s (RCA Out) -> Headphone Amp

The BTA30 is so far the only desktop device that I know of to have LDAC out.

usern

I have looked for LDAC transmitter in the past and I didn't really find one. Good to know there is now BTA30 that does LDAC and also aptx LL.

OP
S

skerik

Forum Donor
I realized last night that I have an Emotiva TA-100 integrated amp sitting around unused, that has what's probably a very good quality headphone out, and a USB input. Since the BTA30 is only able to use Optical/Coax inputs for the PC audio, I might just split out for the HifiMan 'phones and use the TA-100 as an independent path. Then I can wait & watch to see if anyone comes out with the one device that will do it all... the precious, lol.

Another thing that would be REALLY nice is if Microsoft or Sony could come up with an LDAC driver for Windows!

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The odds of your integrated amp having a good quality headphone section is actually pretty low. Typically resistors are placed between the speaker output and the headphone output.

GADGETMAN

Apparently the Aune 8 will have ldac out via Bluetooth.

Last edited:

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fiio BTA30 Pro has LDAC transmit. Have it right here and its working fine.

OP
S

skerik

Forum Donor
Revisiting this on the slim chance anything has changed. I've searched further with no hits on DACs having an LDAC output. As originally mentioned, I do have the Fiio BTA30.

Also checked on the mentioned Aune X8, but it looks like its Bluetooth is only an Input, not an Output.

OP
S

skerik

Forum Donor
@staticV3 - Thanks. I looked around a bunch last year for an LDAC driver for WIndows and didn't find that. I downloaded it but I'm having trouble getting my PC to pair with the Mobius; not sure what's going on there as they pair fine to other devices but don't show up in Windows control panel for BT. I tried an ASUS BT5.0 USB dongle I have and it's not working in Device Manager. 2018 vintage Gigabyte motherboard/PC so it doesn't have BT5 built in and I might look for another USB dongle.

@Human Bass - HMMM. That looks pretty interesting and at a quick glance I see in the description/specs, "supports transmission of SBC/AAC/aptX/ aptX HD/LDAC/LHDC." and a USB DAC mode so that looks like a really comprehensive device. I see some issues noted but might be addressable via f/w updates, so VERY intriguing and promising, thanks!

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@staticV3 - Thanks. I looked around a bunch last year for an LDAC driver for WIndows and didn't find that. I downloaded it but I'm having trouble getting my PC to pair with the Mobius; not sure what's going on there as they pair fine to other devices but don't show up in Windows control panel for BT. I tried an ASUS BT5.0 USB dongle I have and it's not working in Device Manager. 2018 vintage Gigabyte motherboard/PC so it doesn't have BT5 built in and I might look for another USB dongle.

@Human Bass - HMMM. That looks pretty interesting and at a quick glance I see in the description/specs, "supports transmission of SBC/AAC/aptX/ aptX HD/LDAC/LHDC." and a USB DAC mode so that looks like a really comprehensive device. I see some issues noted but might be addressable via f/w updates, so VERY intriguing and promising, thanks!
I think it is by far the best option. It is expensive but a very good jack of all trades.

Top Bottom