• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a DAC to be paired with SMSL SP200 at around $200

yamada

Hi There,

I've been reading and enjoying this forum for a long time but this is the first post.
As the title says, I'm looking for a DAC and I would like to ask help from guys here.

My criteria is following;
Price: around $200, max is $300.
Connection: XLR output, RCA output, USB input.
Data compatibility: PCM 353KHz/32bit or more (though this criteria is pretty mediocre)
functionality: Preamp(volume control, digital volume is preferred), not bus-powered(not every USB power line is clean).
Misc:
- I would like to seek for Price-Perfomance-ratio regarding sound quality.
- As I live in Japan, I prefer items which are available at Chinese markets such as aliexpress.
- I would like to pick one backed by objective measurements or unbiased information(the later is rarely available though).

I'm not leaning toward any specific models but my list of candidates are following so far.
- SMSL M200
- SMSL M300 MKII
- Soncoz LA-QXD1

thank you in advance !

dpippel

Out of that list, M200 for sure. It's a good looking pair-up with the SP200. The M300 MKII is nice, but it's a brick and doesn't stack well with ANYTHING. The LA-QXD1 is a pain to order and ship, depending on where you are, and lacks a display.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi There,

I've been reading and enjoying this forum for a long time but this is the first post.
As the title says, I'm looking for a DAC and I would like to ask help from guys here.

My criteria is following;
Price: around $200, max is $300.
Connection: XLR output, RCA output, USB input.
Data compatibility: PCM 353KHz/32bit or more (though this criteria is pretty mediocre)
functionality: Preamp(volume control, digital volume is preferred), not bus-powered(not every USB power line is clean).
Misc:
- I would like to seek for Price-Perfomance-ratio regarding sound quality.
- As I live in Japan, I prefer items which are available at Chinese markets such as aliexpress.
- I would like to pick one backed by objective measurements or unbiased information(the later is rarely available though).

I'm not leaning toward any specific models but my list of candidates are following so far.
- SMSL M200
- SMSL M300 MKII
- Soncoz LA-QXD1

thank you in advance !

I cant speak for the SMSL but the Soncoz works a treat (no remote though, if the others have one). As others have said, depends on cost and ability to ship to you as to whether its in the running. Good DAC though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Having previously owned an M200 (and still using SP200), unless you need Bluetooth, a Topping E30 is the ticket IMO. You'll save $150 and have identical performance. All of the above mentioned DAC's are totally transparent. XLR is a nice way to connect devices however, the SE input of the SP200 performs better than the XLR input. (post #184 here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...msl-sp200-thx-hp-amp.9242/page-10#post-247072 )

I'm thinking there will be additional sub $200 XLR DAC's as we go along that will offer even better performance than current offerings. The E30 is a great bridge until then, And, for that matter is still will not matter most likely as it is totally transparent. Additionally it performs identically on all 3 digital inputs, something many DAC's don't do.

E30 single ended out to SP200 single ended in is very potent ..... great bang for buck!

But I suspect OP needs 2 sets of outputs. Doesnt want to buy one single output good DAC now and wait for a magical XLR DAC later

OP
Y

yamada

Thank you for responding to my question !
Seemingly, SMSL M200 is really a good choice.
I didn't include bluetooth functionality to my criteria but its LDAC support cannot be underestimated as an Android owner.

But I suspect OP needs 2 sets of outputs. Doesnt want to buy one single output good DAC now and wait for a magical XLR DAC later

Yes, I need TWO output for my setup with SP200 for headphones and a pure poweramp for room speakers. (apologies for not mentioning clearly)

Having previously owned an M200 (and still using SP200), unless you need Bluetooth, a Topping E30 is the ticket IMO. You'll save $150 and have identical performance. All of the above mentioned DAC's are totally transparent. XLR is a nice way to connect devices however, the SE input of the SP200 performs better than the XLR input.

Thank you for the valuable info that the manufacturer itself claims RCA is better than XLR for SP200 !
Now, I'm leaning to two of E30 because two sets of good RCA seems better for my setup than a set with one RCA and one XLR.
Or perhaps one E30 (paired with poweramp) and one D10s (with SP200), since SP200 can control volume by itself.

Thank you again for your helps !

Top Bottom