• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a DAC to add to my system

qec

I currently have a ifi Zen DAC which I use for my office setup. It drives an Adcom preamp and 2 channel amp. My speakers of home built C-Notes along with a home made subwofer. I choose the Zen because it supported MQA and had a good price point. I use a combination of Tidal and Spotify. I am happy with this setup.
I will soon be resetting up my 2 channel listening room and want to add a DAC to that. I am driving Adcom preamp and amp with the DAC and also have a phonograph and CD player as part of the setup. The speakers are Klipsch RB-5. The CD player has optical and coax digital outs playing standard CD 16bit output (not one of the newer high bit rate formats)
Here is what I am looking for:
- DAC to support MQA (not interested in the politics of that choice)
- USB and optical or coax input that can connected to (but obviously not driven) at the same time
- Bluetooth LDAC support to stream from my Pixel phone which also supports LDAC. If the DAC does not have native BT then I will need 2 optical inputs and a USB input on the DAC. I can then hook up a Topping BC3 to BT support
- I don't own any balanced equipment so having a balanced output option is not a requirement. I will take it but not needed. What is needed is RCA out.
- Finally I would rather spend less than more. I am willing to spend $700 or $800 but I would rather spend $500 or less

I think my best bets are Topping or SMSL but I can't quite find everything I'm looking for or I am not reading the spec correctly.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advace

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out Amirs recent reviews of the Topping DACs. I believe one of them has the specs you are looking for and will be a top quartile performer.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are plenty of post here re smsl dacs that have problems. Before you venture down that path, please educate yourself
Forewarned is forearmed.

OP
Q

qec

Thanks for the replies so far. Besides Topping (which looks great) should I be looking at something else.?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies so far. Besides Topping (which looks great) should I be looking at something else.?
I don't think anything else matches the price and performance. Their brand consistently delivers solidly engineered products and measurements to prove it. The only reason you would look elsewhere is if you want something with a different set of features or a different visual aesthetic.

OP
Q

qec

Thanks again. Now I have to decide if I buy the SVS 3000 micro or the D70s first. My son is taking his subwoofer back to school in two weeks. First world problems for sure

Top Bottom