• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a DAC/Streamer with these specs

Duke650

- DAC usb
- streamer
- tidal and spotify compatible
- bluetooth 5
- rca out
- toslink/coax input
- MQA (desirable, not mandatory)

I am looking for something impossible?
the closest thing is the matrix element x, but it's missing a few things.

EDIT: What do you think of this combination of 2 devices?
Gustard X16 + Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra.
What about https://www.teac-audio.eu/en/products/nt-505-149454.html

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've decided against it for that very reason. The acquisition of knowledge is important to me. I love to find out about things, about how they work, about what motivates people to do what they do... the list goes on and on. What I don't like is bickering and acrimony and every thread on MQA seems to end up heading in that direction.

One day I will buy an MQA DAC and tinker until my heart's content. I can then bore my family to the point of excruciation on an almost daily basis! :)

Wise move.

boblo

I always manage to confuse myself over MQA (Qobuz user rather than Tidal). But as long as you've got a full decoding MQA DAC, which the X16 is, then all you need to do is pass a bitperfect stream to the DAC. The S2 does this, but so do a number fo streamers, starting as cheaply as an RPi running Volumio.

If you use Tidal you might want to consider what streamers use Tidal Connect. I know that Volumio are implementing this. It's also coming to the Cambridge CXN v2. @Glasvegas has a keen interest in Tidal Connect, so they might chip in.
Hi,

I want to buy these 2 devices too, X16 and S2 Ultra, and I wonder if:
1) Could there be any compatibility problem?
2) Do you think that Tidal Connect will be available on S2 Ultra's firmware too since it's Volumio-based?

I am also considering this alternative that someone mentioned before:
TEAC NT-505 DAC & streamer
Is this integrated streamer a better solution than the X16 and S2 Ultra combo? Yes, I know it's more expensive, but is it worth it? The specs are stunning, but I don't know the control app and if it supports Tidal Connect (I also need MQA support).

Thanks in advance

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

I want to buy these 2 devices too, X16 and S2 Ultra, and I wonder if:
1) Could there be any compatibility problem?
2) Do you think that Tidal Connect will be available on S2 Ultra's firmware too since it's Volumio-based?

I am also considering this alternative that someone mentioned before:
TEAC NT-505 DAC & streamer
Is this integrated streamer a better solution than the X16 and S2 Ultra combo? Yes, I know it's more expensive, but is it worth it? The specs are stunning, but I don't know the control app and if it supports Tidal Connect (I also need MQA support).

Thanks in advance
I'm going to bow out of this one - sorry. I'll leave it to those who actually use MQA. @AdamG247 was really helpful yesterday so hopefully he can comment.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I'm going to bow out of this one - sorry. I'll leave it to those who actually use MQA. @AdamG247 was really helpful yesterday so hopefully he can comment.

I have no direct exp with this gear. Sorry no help.

boblo

Ok, no MQA questions then. But at least do you think could there be any compatibility issues with that combo using the USB audio connection? This is important for me and I mean general audio transmission.
Thanks

Sukie

Forum Donor
Ok, no MQA questions then. But at least do you think could there be any compatibility issues with that combo using the USB audio connection? This is important for me and I mean general audio transmission.
Thanks
There shouldn't be any compatibility problems that I can see, using USB Connection.

MQA shouldn't be a problem either.
Further link contains info on this as well.

EDIT; Doesn't look like Tidal Connect is available yet, but it is Roon Ready.

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thanks

Hi boblo,

I think
has given you an accurate answer. However, to be absolutely certain might I suggest you ask this interface compatibility question directly to the Manufacturer before you purchase. They should have an email address you can use to ask such questions.

boblo

Hi boblo,

I think has given you an accurate answer. However, to be absolutely certain might I suggest you ask this interface compatibility question directly to the Manufacturer before you purchase. They should have an email address you can use to ask such questions.
I have already posted my concern in the Gustard X16 thread, and my guess is @gustard is monitoring that thread. In fact, he has replied some questions for me, so my guess is if there is no reply from him then I should not worry. I think that compatibility issues only could happen with the IIS input of the X16, because it seems the Volumio kernel needs the appropriate driver But I don't care about that (well, the S2 Ultra has no IIS output).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I have already posted my concern in the Gustard X16 thread, and my guess is @gustard is monitoring that thread. In fact, he has replied some questions for me, so my guess is if there is no reply from him then I should not worry. I think that compatibility issues only could happen with the IIS input of the X16, because it seems the Volumio kernel needs the appropriate driver But I don't care about that (well, the S2 Ultra has no IIS output).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

‘I’m sorry but I don’t know the technical details well enough to help here. That’s why I suggested asking the Manufacturer. Wish I could help.

Sukie

Forum Donor
‘I’m sorry but I don’t know the technical details well enough to help here. That’s why I suggested asking the Manufacturer. Wish I could help.
I agree. We can point you in the right direction but that's all. I don't know where you are in the world but it's always worth looking at Returns' Policy in case of problems.

OP
cronos

cronos

After giving a lot of thought to the subject, finally, I am going to buy the matrix element X.

I know it's worth money, but I think I'll be able to take advantage of it for quite some time. It is a pity that spotify connect is not available at the moment, but I hope that in the coming months an update will come out and I can use this functionality together with Tidal Connect. I will wait for the new firmware update.

I am also going to use a toslink input to connect my television and the other input for a bluetooth 5.0 adapter. So I will take more advantage of the device.

Mainly I will use it from my computer with spotify or from my mobile with tidal.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Top Bottom