• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a DAC/DSP solution for Linkwitz LXMini

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all. I want to build the LXMini stereo version without subs, but I'm not happy with the prospect of using the MiniDSP product which Siegfried specified for the outboard crossover and DSP. I run a Mac Mini-based music server. If I use a well-measuring DAC, can I just do the DSP in my Mac using an audio plugin of some sort?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Hi all. I want to build the LXMini stereo version without subs, but I'm not happy with the prospect of using the MiniDSP product which Siegfried specified for the outboard crossover and DSP. I run a Mac Mini-based music server. If I use a well-measuring DAC, can I just do the DSP in my Mac using an audio plugin of some sort?

Which MiniDSP product was recommended?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a person who post here who’s a Linkwitz speakers guru: dreite. I am also interested in his replies. I am sure many would be as well.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

https://www.magiclx521.com/epages/17940394.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17940394/Products/PoBox4180/SubProducts/"PoBox 4180-230V-M"

Frank Brenner, a close associate of Linkwitz (took over his website after he died), sells a Hypex-based DSP + preamp + power amp in a single box. Filters for any Linkwitz design come preloaded (assuming you bought the plans). The entry-level box uses the UCD180, and there is a nCore option.

He also sells an analog active solution, with nCore as well:

https://www.magiclx521.com/epages/17940394.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17940394/Products/PoBox6-A

All feature XLR input. This would be the ultimate option that is officially-approved by Linkwitz (he ran demos with it before he died), but it comes at a price. They don't put their pricing on their website now (appears to need you to create an account before you can see it), but I recall seeing prices starting in the 2k range before they stopped showing prices openly. But keep in mind this is a multifunction made-in-Germany box with Hypex stuff, officially-approved by Linkwitz - it is reasonable for it is IMO, especially considering that the Hypex DSP can be reprogrammed for any other application.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
The Frank Brenner all-in-one amp/dac/dsp looks good and, while not cheap, is reasonably priced for all that it does.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Frank Brenner all-in-one amp/dac/dsp looks good and, while not cheap, is reasonably priced for all that it does.

https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/dlcp-pro.html

I just found out Ghent has a case kit for it, if you're up to assembling it DIY from the modules. Not sure how much cheaper it'd be though.

FWIW, I find the idea of the Nelson Pass analog XO linked above more compelling since you already have an extraordinary DAC/preamp (RME) and power amps (AHB2), both with verified performance. You could get the XLR version, though I'm not sure if anyone does it prebuilt.

D

Deleted member 2944

There is a person who post here who’s a Linkwitz speakers guru: dreite. I am also interested in his replies. I am sure many would be as well.
I'm sorry, but I don't have any guru-style advice here. :)
When prospective users have something else in mind, I always tell them to use whatever they want. :)

Dave.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Can't you plug the filters for the miniDSP 2x4 into the miniDSP Studio SHD?

D

Deleted member 2944

Can't you plug the filters for the miniDSP 2x4 into the miniDSP Studio SHD?
Of course. But the miniDSP SHD Studio is a much more expensive unit.......and then you still need two DAC's. :)

When the cost of the electronics greatly exceeds the cost of the speakers themselves, these sort of project selection decisions become a little.....weird. IMO.

Dave.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course. But the miniDSP SHD Studio is a much more expensive unit.......and then you still need two DAC's. :)

There's also the one with DACs built in. That's the one I meant. Point taken on costs, however. If it were me, I'd just stick with the 2x4HD. Crossover and EQ on a general purpose computer just seems like too much of a headache.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you don't already have power amps the FusionAmp route is quite cost effective - less than the equivalent amp in a box from Ghent or Audiophonics, and includes DSP and DAC. As to doing the crossover on a computer, I don't know what it's like running crossovers in software on MacOS but I'd certainly do it on linux. The trick is finding a good multichannel interface at a sensible price - here linux compatibility is an added complication for me. For you it's more likely to be long term driver support.

Burning Sounds

I've owned LX521s for several years and recently built the LXMinis.

For the LXMinis I'm currently using my old MiniDSP 2x8 (essentially a DIY version of the 4x10HD) and subjectively it seems fine to me.

I've built the x-over/eq for the LX521s in JRiver and measured the transfer function (using REW) and it seems to match the LX521 2x8 configuration.

I haven't got around to doing the same for the LXMinis yet, but it looks straightforward enough as long as you realise that you can't simply drop the MiniDSP configuration into JRiver. JRiver's implementation of Q is different to MiniDSPs.

Doing the x-overs/eq in software does get rid of another box and cables and keeps costs down. :)

D

Deleted member 2944

There's also the one with DACs built in. That's the one I meant. Point taken on costs, however. If it were me, I'd just stick with the 2x4HD. Crossover and EQ on a general purpose computer just seems like too much of a headache.
Yes, I think the 2x4HD is the most appropriate unit to use in this application. Good performance and relatively low cost, without the need to off-load all the processing to a separate computer and a more complicated scheme.
When I demo the LXmini system for prospective buyers it's the unit I use.....even though I have a bunch of other gadgets as well.

Dave.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/dlcp-pro.html

I just found out Ghent has a case kit for it, if you're up to assembling it DIY from the modules. Not sure how much cheaper it'd be though.
Include the Hypex modules, and the package exceeds $800. IMO, this is questionable value considering that Hypex plans to discontinue the DLCP in a month. Will they start selling the MP-DSP (as in Fusion plates & OEM DSP) to DIY then? Based on Fusion prices, I'd expect the MP to cost less if they do.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
When the cost of the electronics greatly exceeds the cost of the speakers themselves, these sort of project selection decisions become a little.....weird. IMO.
Dave.

Yes, but the "cost" of the speakers, when building Linkwitz designs, includes a fair labor rate to build them. My Orions took something like 20 hours, maybe more when you include the cogitation time. In any event, I personally don't think it's insane to prefer the best possible bench performance if it's affordable, even if the audibility of the difference is not established. However, I may be insane!

D

Deleted member 2944

Yes, but the "cost" of the speakers, when building Linkwitz designs, includes a fair labor rate to build them. My Orions took something like 20 hours, maybe more when you include the cogitation time. In any event, I personally don't think it's insane to prefer the best possible bench performance if it's affordable, even if the audibility of the difference is not established. However, I may be insane!
These are not Orion's. Way less time required. And the price model is different in any case, obviously, since this aspect is DIY.

One of the objectives SL had in designing the LXmini system was to produce a minimal cost system that could, hopefully, break through some of the silly "audiophile" thinking regards accurate sound reproduction. Since many potential builders don't have boatloads of disposable income like so many that seem to occupy the audio world these days.
In this aspect, he succeeded quite well.

That said, and as noted above, you're free to use (and spend as much money on) whatever solution you feel like.
Siegfried was not dissatisfied with the performance of the LXmini system even using the el-cheapo miniDSP 2x4 unit......if that's of any benefit to your thinking.

Dave.

nuport

Hello all- my first post here, so glad I found this forum! I am looking to build a set of LX minis and was wondering about this very topic. DSP and digital is fairly unfamiliar to me.

Assuming I was to use a Mini DSP 4x10HD on a Lxmini+2 setup for crossovers, what are my options for room correction? Does the Minidsp have enough power to process room correction as well? Can something like REW be layered on top of the crossovers in the Minidsp unit? From my understanding Dirac cannot be used on the non-Dirac models.

Can I do Dirac on my PC, which would then connect to the minidsp? Since it looks like the 4x10 does not accept USB in, what's the best way to get audio to to the Minidsp? Do I need to buy another dac so I can get AESBU out?

I have not purchased the plans yet, so I don't have access to the support downloads. From what I have read, the crossover curves that Linkwitz designed are not that simple. If I wanted to use another solution besides Minidsp, such as if I were to get a pro audio interface, how difficult is it to map these curves to a different application?

Can the Hypex Fusion amps do crossover+room correction?

Thanks to everyone on this forum, I'm learning a ton!

Top Bottom