• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a DAC/AMP combo for max. 350 USD / 300 EUR

Hello!

For years I used a HiFimeDIY USB DAC 2 in combination with my Mac Mini and now I would like to upgrade.
My headphones are the "KNS 8400 (36 ohms)" by KRK. I am interested to get better headphones this year
(maybe the Hifiman Sundara).

I can spend a maximum of 350 USD / 300 EUR.

Already checked out the following and would like to know which of them you guys can recommend and give
me the most bang for the buck:

1. Schiit Modi3+ & Magni Heresy (270 € / 320 USD in Europe)
2. FiiO K5 Pro
3. TOPPING DX3 Pro LDAC Edition

Or you folks have any other recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

OP
Fetch_Execute_Break

Rzezniq

Hi I can recommend Topping dx3pro. I use it for hd600 and as a source for Stax amp. Zero noise that I can hear.

JoostE

Would recommend Atom DAC + Atom amp
https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/search?type=product&q=atom eu*
but Atom DAC is out of stock in cheapest EU(GB) reseller at the moment :/

You could go Atom amp + liquid spark DAC (or Topping D10s for similar performance).
The modi3+ is decent but I don't like its rising low frequency distortion. Probably 'fine' though.

Do you have experience buying these in EU? I am looking to buy the same stack but it seems importing them to EUR from USA might be cheaper than from this company?

Veri

Master Contributor
Do you have experience buying these in EU? I am looking to buy the same stack but it seems importing them to EUR from USA might be cheaper than from this company?
Schiit Europe is basically totally sold out all of the time. As for the Atom, importing from UK is ill-advised nowadays... (import taxes). I had bought one way before the finalised Brexit thing.
Liquid spark DAC can be bought from audiophonics for a fair price. They also have Topping E30/L30.

JoostE

Damn that is a pitty, I am basically looking for a needle in a haystack, a good sounding dac that uses UAC1.... (PS5).

I guess I need to bite the bullet and go the HDMI extractor way to get toslink (into E30 or SMSL sanskrit).

Hadn't seen the Liquid spark so far in my research, so thank you for that. But honestly, I think it looks ugly LMAO.

Veri

Master Contributor
I guess I need to bite the bullet and go the HDMI extractor way to get toslink (into E30 or SMSL sanskrit).
Hadn't seen the Liquid spark so far in my research, so thank you for that. But honestly, I think it looks ugly LMAO.
Yeah it also isn't UAC1 I'm afraid. Honestly your easy bet would be to order the Atom DAC from JDS (check B-stock for easy returned unit discount), and then flash the UAC1 firmware to be guaranteed it'll work. HDMI extractor might add some minor latency which I would personally hate.
Also check here btw: https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=atom+dac I see one for sale in France.

JoostE

Yeah it also isn't UAC1 I'm afraid. Honestly your easy bet would be to order the Atom DAC from JDS (check B-stock for easy returned unit discount), and then flash the UAC1 firmware to be guaranteed it'll work. HDMI extractor might add some minor latency which I would personally hate.
Also check here btw: https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=atom+dac I see one for sale in France.

Yeah I saw the same on ebay, but for that price I might as well buy it strait from JDS, especially since they seem to be known for their customer support.

I am going to dive (even deeper) into a possible latency problem with the HDMI extractors (I hope the astro one has no latency...) and otherwise will just order the ATOM stack from JDS. Thank you for the reply (and thank you for hifishark website, completely forgot about that!)

Top Bottom